Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law recently cleaned out his safe deposit box and one of the many things he gave my wife was a satchel that contained these firearms. Any help identifying these would be greatly appreciated. If you find one of particular interest, I would be happy to take more pictures of it. The one that looks like it has a missing barrel has "U.S. Army Signal Pistol 1862 AJM" printed on the handle.

Intro - My wife and I live out in the boonies in southwestern Colorado next to the continental divide. We live on grid but do enjoy no cell service. We border a contiguous area of two national forests and two wilderness areas so we have plenty of room to enjoy the outdoors.
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG

The outer edge of civilization
Welcome from North Carolina. That's quite the collection! I'm sure you'll find the help you need. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

Reactions: TXplt

Wonderment :)
xcskier: Sir; another NC Welcome.

quite a collection 馃

Registered
My father-in-law recently cleaned out his safe deposit box and one of the many things he gave my wife was a satchel that contained these firearms. Any help identifying these would be greatly appreciated. If you find one of particular interest, I would be happy to take more pictures of it. The one that looks like it has a missing barrel has "U.S. Army Signal Pistol 1862 AJM" printed on the handle.

Intro - My wife and I live out in the boonies in southwestern Colorado next to the continental divide. We live on grid but do enjoy no cell service. We border a contiguous area of two national forests and two wilderness areas so we have plenty of room to enjoy the outdoors. View attachment 159073 View attachment 159074
Top left looks like a 44 rimfire Connecticut Arms Co. Bulldog derringer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Top left looks like a 44 rimfire Connecticut Arms Co. Bulldog derringer.

Spot on! Much appreciated. It is the only one that came with a holster.
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG

Registered
Middle Center bottom.

Wheeler
American Arms C掳, Boston Massachusetts, Swivel Breech, double barrel pocket pistol.
Made between 1866 and 1878. Less then 5000 made for all calibers.
Most of the production were combination barrels in caliber 22 and 32 rimfire. (About 3000) Only about 50 made with twice caliber 22.
About 1500 made in caliber 38 rim and less then 400 in caliber 41 rimfire.
To fire the second shot the barrels have to be hand rotated.
The early production will not mention the word WHEELER'S on top of the barrel. Exists with flat and birdheadsgrips.
Most of the production had silverplated brass frames with blued barrels. Some examples of the caliber 41 are known to exist in full nickel and a few have been seen where the frames were goldplated. Those are extremely rare and demand large premiums.

i found quite a bit on the Littlegun Belgian sight, their issue is when attempting to post a link to a particular firearm the link wont work.

Attachments

Premium Member
Very nice and interesting collection. Quite a bundle of them. Looks like a combination of percussion, flintlock, rimfire, centerfire and pinfire.

Registered
Rh second up from bottom.
From the littlegun sight Belgum.
At bottom states Butler made smaller versions than just the .41cal
Wm. S. Butler
Wm. S. Butler 鈥淪ingle Shot All Cast Metal鈥 Percussion Pistol
.41 calibre percussion, single shot, 3" round barrel. Cast on the right side of the frame is 鈥淲m. S. Butler Patent/Patented Feb. 3, 1857.鈥 This is the largest known Butler pistol. Most are 1/3 size smaller.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Much appreciated! If there are any you need better photos of, let me know. I will use the link and see what I can find out. Thanks again for your time and expertise.
Found this one using the link. Thanks again. Very intriguing pistol with two hammers.
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG

Registered
Right second down.

Found on littlegun.bu
J.R. Lindsay
Weapon to charge by the mouth with only one barrel and two hammers.
The two loads are placed in the barrel at different distances.
The first hammer which falls down met with fire the load most moved away, the second that which is at the bottom of the barrel.
Lindsay with 2 shots and 1 barrel was manufactured by Union Knife Co of Naugatuck, Connecticut, on behalf of the inventor John P. Lindesay.
Manufactured beginning of the years 1860 with less than 100 specimens.
Calibre 31 with percussion, superimposed loads.
Exist with either one, or two triggers, but always with only one barrel and 2 hammers.
Very dangerous to use.

Attachments

Registered
The 3rd down Left side is a Ladies Muff Pistol kinda like a handbag gun.

The one below that (bottom Lt) due its frame drop I have a hunch the type is what they call a Salon or Parlor pistol and from the inset barrel release lever is missing its barrel completely.
Release barrel to load, reinsert barrel for firing.
Parlor pistols might be smoothbores.
So if your doing image searches you might try parlor/salon pistol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
The 3rd down Left side is a Ladies Muff Pistol kinda like a handbag gun.

The one below that (bottom Lt) due its frame drop I have a hunch the type is what they call a Salon or Parlor pistol and from the inset barrel release lever is missing its barrel completely.
Release barrel to load, reinsert barrel for firing.
Parlor pistols might be smoothbores.
So if your doing image searches you might try parlor/salon pistol.
I did find that one on an image search using the inscription on the bottom of the handle. "U. S. Army Signal Pistol 1862 AJM"
Again, thank you for all your help!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts