Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother got a mauser from a guy for $40 and I am having trouble IDing it. it has been bubbaed up a little but it works fine and the bore is decent. is there any web site that I can look at pics to compare? I will post some pics when I take them. it looks like a k98 but the stock looks different the crest on the reciver are messed up from the bad attempt to put a scope on it by the idiot that had it but we did find two small swasticas on the reciver and one on the stock under the but plate. any help would be nice. thanks.:feedback:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,326 Posts
Swastikas ('Waffenamts'?) would argue strongly for it being a Kar98k - but we'll know better with pics. If it's an earlier carbine, it would've been a valuable collector piece before Bubba got it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
IF there is any type of crest on top of the rec then it isn't a K98k. It could be a portugese 37 or 41, if so then there will be 1937 or 1941 under the crest.
Exactly What markings can you see on top of the rec? What is on the left rail above the stock? Where are the swastikas - with eagle over them I presume?
Sarge

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
accutally the swastikas do not have an eagle over them. the crest on the reciver are so worn I cant make them out plus the big hole in the middle of them did not help.I think it may be some type of captured weapon but not sure. My camera is acting up but pics will be on the way as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
well lets start with some simple descriprions. Straight bolt or curved? Pistol grip like style stock or straight? dows the upper handgaurd cover the rear sight or does it stop before? Where are the sling attachments located, below the stock, below and on side, both on side of stock. Does the butt plate sit on the very end of the stock or wrap around. Front barrel band, is it a smaller peice of metal (under 1/2 inch) bigger about 1 inch? Front sight, does it look like a sight found on the M1 Carbine, \|/ something like that? or is it a single blade with a hood/with a slot for hood. Don't have to answer them all but these will help.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the delay in pics. My good camera is FUBARed so I had to use my phone so quality is not great. It has had a bent bolt added and welded on you cant tell by photo but the weld marks tell it. the swastikas I spoke of are hard to see but they are on the mag well and the butt of the rifle under where the metal plate goes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can you tell if the hand guard was cut inorder to allow room for the scope mount? I know the hand guards that go over the front sight don't allow enough room for the scope mounts. And to give you some good news, unless that is not the factory stock on that rifle, it is not a 98k. But that front sight raises some questions, by the look of it on the picture it looks like a single blade. Can you get a quick picture of the front sight and a side picture of the whole rifle?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try to get more pics tonight and post later. the hand guards you spoke of stop at the front of the sight and do not apear to have been cut. the front sight is a single blade but is difficult to see. the bubba that had it welded a piece of pipe to the end of the barrel. looks like poop. I guess he was trying to make a silencer or something, we plan on removing that later. I did not think the stock was right to be a k98 but the swastikas threw me off. Not sure if this helps but the first two letter of the serial number is "AK####". I tried to find some info with the serial number but the website I found you had to know what type of mauser it was first. My brother is whating to camo it and use it as a cheap truck gun but I have talked him into waiting until I can ID it to be sure its not some super rare rifle.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
it could be the rarest mauser ever made, and its pretty much worthless. need a clear picture of the top of the front reciever ring, and the left side of the reciever. from what i can see. it is a severely bubba'd k98.

·
Registered
209 Posts
take a look at the front barrel band????? Any idea what mauser has THAT kind of barrel band? Unless its jsut the picture that is deffinetly not a band on the German K98. It's a lot longer than normal. but that might have mbeen bubbafied aswell. But the 98k's did not have the inlay slot in the stock for where your front hand is.

damage do my another quick favor. Take the front band off. Look at the stock there, it should be cut. There is only one retaining spring on this rifle and it is used to only hold the rear band in place. The stock is deffinitely NOT for this rifle. On the Mauser 98k's the single spring would hold both bands but the pin holding the front band would be on the back of the band not towards the front, or in other words, the pin on your rifle is TOO far away from the rear end of the band.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some more pics. again sorry for the poor quality they are from my camera phone. You can see the single blade sight and the bubbaed barrel. I think I see what you are talking about on the top hand guard it is cut to it into a slot under the rear sight only the front spring holds it on. I took off the barrel band and found the numbers do not match teh rifle tried to turn it around the other way and it would not fit due to the way it was made to cover the hand guard. Dont know about you guys I am stumped on this one.:stupid:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
you need clear pictures of the top of the front reciever ring, and the left side of the reciever. without it, all we can say is its a mauser.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will get some when I get a new camera. My good one has bit the dust cant get to even turn on. Guess I will be going to Wally-World this week end. LOL

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I dunno for sure but Id say its a rifle.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
so, whatever happened to this rifle? been 2 days short of a month since last post....i wanna see what this is DAMMIT :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts