Idaho student says teacher tossed his Mexican Flag into the trash

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Midas, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I've never understood why Cinco de Mayo is "celebrated" in the United States anyway. It's not like St. Patrick's Day, or Caribbean Pride Day, or the Feast of St. Anthony, which are ethnic holidays that don't refer to anything historical apart from where your ancestors came from. It's not like Juneteenth, which celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation that freed the black African slaves. And it's surely not like Veterans Day or Memorial Day, which celebrate our armed forces and those who have served the country.

It's a holiday that belongs to another country. As far as I can tell, the only excuse it has for being "celebrated" in America is to sell beer so apathetic you have to add citrus juice to it to make it palatable, tequila (which if aged properly is quite good), pseudio-Mexican cuisine dinner specials at chain restaurants, and give irresponsible college kids yet another excuse to get drunk midweek. It has no connection whatever to the history of the United States of America.

2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Guest

It sounds like the Mexican kids were trying to stir things up with the flag bit, so good for the teacher..

3. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

Stupid F'n idiots. If you are so proud of Mexico...why do you want to live here? Go live there if you believe it is so awesome you dumbasses.

4. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Evangelist

Any chance the teacher wiped their arse with it before it went into the trash?

:hitwithrock:

5. patrick70

patrick70 G&G Addict

Notice how quick the aclu jumped on that.

6. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

I am interested, does the ACLU fight to get a foothold for their organization IN Mexico?

I doubt it.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist

Let me get this straight. You can abuse the U.S. flag any way you want , but you can't throw the Mexican flag in the trash without the wrath of the ACLU???????????

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  8. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

What's ACLU stand for again? Alien Civil Liberties Union?

9. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

Well, there is nothing saying that the kid couldn't have the flag and there is certainly nothing illegal about it, and I suppose that refusing someone to own a flag of another country could be against someone's civil liberties.

I am born and raised American, but I also have an Ireland flag because that is where my family (my name) originally came from. If someone threw my flag in the trash I'd be pissed off too.

10. Brother Bob

Yeah bud, but we're not being invaded by Ireland right now and at least the Irish learned to speak English when they came here! LOL!:09:

11. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

We aren't being invaded by anyone....invaded? We are at war with Mexico huh? Or Asia or any other large immigrant group that comes to America huh?

I don't know where you get your information from, but the problem isn't just illegal immigrants, it is a multi layered issue that stems across many branches of our own government and their policy. If we didn't run things a certain way we wouldn't have all these issues, and instead of pointing the blame on something like illegal immigration and buying into all the crap propaganda out there about it, maybe we could get something done.

Don't you understand that crap like this is spat at us for all sides to keep us from uniting and actually making a change?

For once, please do not think unilaterally.

12. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Tlarkin, I agree. If Americans students were in Mexico celebrating an American Holiday and some Mexican Official threw the American Flag in the trash we Americans would be highly p---ed off. As long as the flag wasn't illegally flown it should be treated with the same respect as we would want for our flag.

13. Brother Bob

I get my information from the radio, TV, and the newspaper. Where do you get your information from? My last thread was meant to be humorous. Tough day at the office????????

14. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

No, not really, just prepping for summer projects, plus I prefer to be busy at work it makes the days go by faster.

No, I am not trying to snap at you, but it just irks me how people like to blame shift every problem we have on two things, when in fact it goes way deeper than that to begin with. Plus, our government is taking no measures what so ever to make any other country take some responsibility to begin with.

15. Brother Bob

Fat chance of that happening, and NO, nothing would happen if it did!

16. TexasT

This is so true. This week I encountered a presumed illegal couple in the infertility clinic. I had to step back and think for a second. Why are we paying for unfunded, illegal citizens get pregnant? Why are we paying for unfunded (legal) citizens to get pregnant anyway? Especially if they already have a kid. If you can't afford the diagnostic scans then you probably can't afford to take care of a child. Anyways, that's my pet peeve, but I digress. Maybe I shouldn't be making those judgments because I guess I don't understand enough about becoming a legal citizen in America. I'd think it would require you to speak and understand at least some English to sign paper work and say the pledge or whatever they do.

I don't care about people having pride for their country while in America. Then again it comes down to that issues that it's still a stinkin' piece of cloth.

17. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

My friend is Vietnamese and he came to the US when he was like 1 or 2 years old. His father got his citizenship and his mother opted not to so he was not grandfathered in. If both his parents had gotten their citizenship then he would have gotten his. There is an exam you must pass, plus the cost is nearly $1,000 dollars. He just got his (he is like 25 or so) a few months ago because I was yelling at him to quit spending money on iPhones and xboxes and to go get his citizenship. He got his for around $450ish dollars and he told me that the price just went up to just under $1,000 and he was lucky to get his done when he did (several months ago) because he got it done right before the hike in price.

Why in the hell would any immigrant who is making poverty level wages want to pay nearly $1,000 to become a citizen?

What incentive is there to do so?

Stop blaming the immigrants and start blaming retarded *** government policy.

18. Brother Bob

Well I don't feel like writing a thesis tonight on this topic. Not only that, Texas-T would get on to me for paragraphs and spelling! LOL!:09:

19. TexasT

Darn tootin! Paragraphs Brobo, paragraphs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.