Identifying Pepper's

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by cb671, Nov 14, 2013.

1. cb671

cb671 G&G Enthusiast

Can anyone positively identify these peppers? I just picked these about an hour ago ... my other pepper plants are only flowering at the moment...Got 4 that are fruiting but only 2 plants were harvestable: I think the one's on the right hand side might be Banana Peppers.
    [​IMG]

2. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Looks like some big Jalapenos and the ones on the right look like green cayenne peppers. It's hard to tell from the pic. Send me one of each and I can tell ya ;)

3. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Evangelist

These are, (left) Anaheim, (right) jalapeño. It sometimes helps if your not sure to let them grow and see what they do. Do they get large?? Or turn red while small. The dark green ones could also be poblano let em grow a bit more. The little ones on the right do look like banana peppers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. PaleHawkDown

I must be thinking of a whole different animal. The banana peppers I've grown are either big yellow guys or mid-sized light green peppers that vaguely resemble pepperoncini's in flavor. But those little guys on the right look like my cayennes before they get ripe.
    Those big greenies could be poblanos, but mine usually have a more bulbous top, which makes it easier for me to open 'em up and stuff them full of chilis, hamburger meet and cheese and bake them.

There are so many variations of each type of pepper, even from the local weather and soil, that I can really only tell by taste.

I accidentally killed my poor pepper crop a couple of years ago when I hurt my knee and haven't grown one since. My wife is growing some Thai chilis...they also resemble those peppers on the far right.

5. my1871colt45

You are right the little ones could be cayenne which is why I suggested leaving them on vine longer and see what they do. As for the dark greens I suggested poblano because we have had them grow in the same shape as anaheims a couple of different seasons. We have also gotten the big bulbous tops as well. As you said it depends on a variety of different seasonal and soil situations. The pointy ends is what made me suggest poblano when young they often have pointier ends. Jalapeño USUALLY has rounder less defined ends. Just making suggestions on my experiences. Wasn't in anyway saying you were wrong I was just suggesting other possiblilities.

6. PaleHawkDown

Nah man, I wasn't arguing, more just puzzling it out along with you.

Be funny if he didn't plant any of the peppers we suggested at all. ;)

I'm the king of the blind taste test, but my ability to identify these things by sight is primarily based on my largely unsuccessful attempts at growing them.

7. my1871colt45

True it wouldn't be the first time I was way off the mark on something. Identifying things by picture is never ideal. Too many issues with color (lighting issues) and judging sizes. It's generally a simple chore to identify peppers when you know your choices to begin with.
    Around here jalapeños grow like weeds and produce like crazy (as long as it doesn't rain too much). As well as bell peppers. But other varieties grow well but usually as productive.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  8. PaleHawkDown

This is still an easier task than identifying some of the rifles people put on here. At least we know the where, when and how.

9. lynxpilot

lynxpilot Constitutionalist Forum Contributor

Eat one. If it's not stoopid hot, throw the rest of that kind away. Keep eating the other types until you find a stoopid hot one, then it doesn't matter what kind it is so long as it's stoopid hot.

10. PaleHawkDown

If one makes you cry (out of both ends) it's a keeper.

11. alienx

alienx G&G Regular

nothing to compare size too.
    left looks like Anaheim, though ?
    right the color is the only thing that looks like banana otherwise pod shape don't match.
    cayenne are not banana color ever.
    you may have some cross breeds, or the simple fact you have some chilis we're not used to seeing since you're in Guam.

12. cb671

cb671 G&G Enthusiast

Here's another pic next to some Okra I am drying out to get seeds...largest Okra is about 6" long:
    [​IMG]
    I don't think the ones on the right side are banana pepeprs...they are relatively too short from what I have been reading about peppers. While the ones on the right hand side I believe are Anaheim...It has a Very Mild heat. I put one in some Chicken Adobo and could barely feel any heat after biting into the pepper. It has a Smokey type of smell to the fruit.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  13. cb671

cb671 G&G Enthusiast

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted