close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Identity Theft ALERT!!!

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by Ten Man, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    My wife and I were discussing this just two day's ago. All I can say, since this is extremely illegal, is those top executives get fired,fined and do time for this.

Huey Rider likes this.
  2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Actually, it's not illegal. Just HIGHLY immoral. These days, immoral doesn't seem to matter any more. It's just business/politics as usual.

TACAV and Coach like this.

3. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    Point taken.

4. draftingmonkey

draftingmonkey G&G Evangelist

143 million is roughly 68% of the adult population of the US. In other word 7 out of 10 US citizens had their information stolen. Those are not odds I would bet on when it comes to hoping my data wasn't included in the hack.

Ten Man likes this.
  5. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Wife and I checked and ours was among those hacked.

6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Nope, I know my credit score sucks after I was laid off in 2008 and lost my house. I don't bother looking any more.

7. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Evangelist

They'll run a background check on you and see if you have criminal history or outstanding warrants. If you don't they'll sell your ID to someone only looking for work or running drugs. When they get stopped they pull out your ID and find nothing to hold them and they go on their merry way. Credit is only part of the reason IDs are stolen.

Ten Man likes this.
  8. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Well since this information is out there now you'll have to check your accounts daily. They will have your SSN so can access lots of accounts including gov. I have my original SS card and on the card it says, not to be used as ID. What happened to that? Guess everyone should submit for a new number. I am one of the 143 million according to Equinox. And they do try and sell you some kind of protection plan. Makes you wonder if that's what this is all about to start with.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

EVERYBODY uses that danged number as an ID number. I don't know why, as you say, says right on the card not to be used as an ID number. It was my military ID number. It is used by the VA. Even the government that is the ones who said it is not to be used as an ID number use it.

10. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Incrementalism, folks. Incrementalism.

11. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

When I first went into the Navy we had service numbers which were drilled into you. I still remember mine.(B164897 Sir!) Not sure what year it was when they changed and started using SSN instead.

12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I am sorry for your difficulty. Perhaps I've had less problems either because it's been less widespread or I usually take the approach that the lenders should be more careful with THEIR money--and am not shy in telling them so if they attempt to wrongly place blame on me which I will not accept. I haven't had to convince anyone of anything; just lost a little bit of time in filling out a report from time to time (for which there are a multitude of legal protections inherent in the process). There have been a couple of minor glitches from time to time but most agencies I've dealt with understand the liability protection laws and (given some proactivity on my accounts in seeing fraudulent charges and reporting them) have been very good about not attempting to place blame on a victim.

My belief remains that I am not responsible for things I did not do, and do not have to unscrew a lender's issue in lending money or services negligently. Their process--their problem. Not mine.

13. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Evangelist

My son believes in Santa Claus but that doesn't put presents under the tree.

If a lender (CC, hospital, law enforcement) has a debt, and your ID connected to it they have all they need to file a garnishment on your wages. If some wetback gets pulled over for DUI, or assault, or drugs and they have your identity on them when they go to jail you have to prove it wasn't you that did the crime.

14. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Identity Theft is rampant, and it is a SERIOUS issue for those that have been victimized by it.

I must state that I think a lot of people ask for it, by their careless and haphazard treatment of their personal information. On the other hand, there are those who get hit, in spite of taking prudent precautions. It is just the nature of the "electronic transaction" age.

The wife and I have been hit for Credit Card Fraud, multiple times, but it has been only a minor inconvenience for the same reasons TXplt stated. Fortunately, we have not experienced ID Theft, because we exercise very strict control over our private information.

There is no guarantee that any method can protect your identity, if you have any electronic or public contact, but you can put measures into action that minimize the risk.

15. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Evangelist

Agreed. Credit card fraud is fairly easy to deal with. Actual identity theft is a massive PIA. I just wish some of these people would get a job and pay some extra money into my SS account - I might get part of it refunded to me......

Ten Man likes this.