Idiot Gun Dealers?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, Sep 22, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Anybody ever dealt with one? I wanna hear the story. I got pissed at one today. Trying to sell me something that had nothing to do with what I needed.....

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Nope, I'm lucky to have decent dealers around me. One shop does act like their guns are made of gold and deserve top dollar, while yours if you try to sell it to them is the biggest piece of crap they've ever seen. :mad:

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Dealers occasionally see a young guy walk up and think they can talk down to him. Little do they know that he's probably researched what they're selling and in some cases know more than they do.
    Many of them are very knowledgeable, and most are respectful.

4. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I was looking for a Mosin, he was pushing a pistol. Where in the h e double L did he make the corrilation between the two?

When we bought the Glock26 for my wife, another dealer kept trying to put her into a full size 1911.She wanted a 9mm baby Glock. She walked out of another shop with it.

5. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Well, he might have been confused between a Mosin-Nagant rifle and a Nagant Revolver.

6. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Could be Klaus. Hadn't thought of that one. He was pushing a KAHR KP40 at me. I was like, "Show me one in 7.62 Russian!" LOL

7. wes

wes Guest

Listened to a guy at a gunshow yesterday pushing one of the D-day commerative rifles on a guy. He told him they were "brand-new original WW2 rifles that they put a new stock on." I know the receivers aren't GI,but,they never have the left side showing and ya can't pick it up to look at it,cause it cost's $2500.00.

8. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Yeah we got these guy's here mostly pawn shops, that sell crap like Bersa or Hi-Point, tec-9's etc.. you know the usual cheap crap. If I were a dealer I don't know how I could bring myself to sell something so inferior.

9. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Educated consumers are the best customers:)

10. Hey Joe,

Where ya goin with that gun in yer hand??? LOL! I have wanted to type that for some time.......:p

Seriously, we have a gun dealer here, well, near here that thinks the sun shines out his display case! Same as your guy, all his stock, even the used stuff is grade A extra premo weaponry. While whatever you have is junk. And if you want to trade something in, it is less than junk.

I saw him give a guy 95 dollars in trade on a post 64 Winchester model 94. It was a nice gun. He put the same gun out on the rack 2 days later with a 280 dollar tag on it! He even told me that wasn't the same gun! Must have been two model 94's with a hook shaped ding on the left side of the stock below the cheek piece area!
    :confused:

There is another dealership, a good one, with fair prices and great service, but he won't handle handguns. He says he has no time for that crap. They are all useless anyway. But if you want a certain long gun, he will get it for you. And he really knows how to handle newbies and uninformed types with the type of questions they have.

In town here we have a guy that is guaranteed to be 30 dollars higher on any gun than anyone else around. But he does have fair prices on ammo and does get some decent stuff, he is just price tag happy and will not budge. And yet he gripes when he looses a sale to WalMart or out of town.

I guess all in all I am fairly lucky here in that there are really nop total A-baggers around....

Now if there was just an indoor range within 200 miles of here.................

Last edited: Sep 22, 2002
  11. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

You keep typin' that Jimi Hendrix and I'm gonna pick up my six string and play along!

12. I second you on that one G3, most everytime i go into a gunshop anywhere they seem like they wanna talk down to me or sell me some thing i don't need.
    But i got lucky with the shop i frequent now, everyone in there is great and know that i know what i'm talking about.
    -Jesse

13. johno

johno Guest

i saw one gun dealer selling a romanian sks as a russian, when it said romania near the muzzle, and had all the romanian markings. i bought it anyways cause i really wanted an sks. most gun dealers see that im about 20 and think they can sell me anything cause i'm young, but i often know more about the surplus guns than they do.

14. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I once heard a guy try to tell me that an RPK was closer to a Dragunov than an AK... (shudder)

But in all fairness, if we're gonna talk about the bad ones we gotta talk about the good ones. Yesterday this woman was going around advertising one guy for president of PGCA, and it got pretty annoying. I was talking to a fellow who was selling CCW gear, and I explained that I wasn't going to be buying for another few months. But that didn't stop him from giving me his full attention as this woman waited. I even began to indicate that I didn't want to take up his time, but he kept on sharing his knowledge, and she kept on waiting.

15. Doglips

Doglips Guest

Mainly at the shows around Melbourne....Trukish Mausers for $150 Mosins for $200 I can see a little mark up but come on. The store I liked closed the On on Merritt Island considers anything less than an HK or Glock to be a saturday night special and spends 10 min explaining why they wont sell you one....course there prices are so out of wack I wounder if they think there at a gun show :)