Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to see opinons on the topic...If Ruger/or name your favorite manufacturer, made a handgun in the 7.62X25 chambering would you be interested in it as a defense/hunting/round? The 7.62x25 is a hot round...in its military configuration it is a ball round; if someone were to make a 7.62 hydrashok/gold-dot bullet for the cartridge would you be interested?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Just looking to see opinons on the topic...If Ruger/or name your favorite manufacturer, made a handgun in the 7.62X25 chambering would you be interested in it as a defense/hunting/round? The 7.62x25 is a hot round...in its military configuration it is a ball round; if someone were to make a 7.62 hydrashok/gold-dot bullet for the cartridge would you be interested?
I doubt it.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I'd love a non combloc pistol in it.
It's my understanding that a Chicom clone of the Sig 226 was being made in 7.62x25mm and imported to Canada at one time.
So something like that can be made to work.

And here's another thought.
What about something made by CZ?
Like maybe the 97B?

·
Premium Member
26,130 Posts
I would Bill.
Ever since I got my 1st CZ 52 many years ago I've wished that some reputable company would tool up and make us a full size modern double stack pistol for that cartridge. Due to the length of that cartridge I don't know what capacity they could achieve that would still have a manageable grip for most shooters except those with the smallest of hands. If we had a quality pistol like that and a few bullet manufacturers stepped up with a variety of FMJ, JSP and JHP bullets in weights between perhaps 85gr. and 110gr.,with some of the modern powders ammo manufacturers and hand loaders could cobble together some formidable plinking, target, SD, HD, and hunting ammo. I can visualize CZ, EAA, or RIA making a suitable pistol. And then a lever action rifle by Henry or Rossi in that caliber and a pistol caliber AR for it as well and the world would be a perfect place until I brainstormed again. LOL

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
My initial reaction was to say no. After thinking about it for a while, I’d probably carry it instead of my 9mm. I’m voting yes, depending on the package.

An 85 grain, modern self dense, .312 bullet going at 1500+ FPS would be … formidable.

·
Premium Member
26,130 Posts
Just an FYI post in case someone is in the market for ammo.
Even without a modern handgun to shoot it in Reed's Ammunition & Research in Oklahoma City manufactures ammo in a few variations in that caliber. Based on the current market conditions and the way all of this COVID has affected everything I do not know how that has impacted their company and product availability.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
They are a noisy little round tbat I think would be cool is a short semiauto carbine, like the Ruger of the old Camp 9 made by Marlin. Grip size would not matter. But they are much like them 327 Federal a really zippy little round. I think they would be fine in a little carbine.

·
Handgunner
9,214 Posts
I have wondered if Armscor could be persuaded to produce a 7.62x25 barrel for their 9mm/.22 TCM 1911 pistol making it a triple caliber handgun with the desired double-stack mag and modern adjustable sights. It might not be the hottest seller in their line-up but, hey, it only requires a barrel.

·
The outer edge of civilization
14,741 Posts
Absolutely! I shoot it now with my Tokarev and love it. Mind you I have had a county sheriff ask if I was firing a hand cannon at the range. 😁

Seriously though, it is a hot round and will get the job done for self defense.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Ac
I have wondered if Armscor could be persuaded to produce a 7.62x25 barrel for their 9mm/.22 TCM 1911 pistol making it a triple caliber handgun with the desired double-stack mag and modern adjustable sights. It might not be the hottest seller in their line-up but, hey, it only requires a barrel.
Actually they made them years ago but did not take off. Not sure if anyone still does. They were a J and G exclusive as far as I know. They only fit the 9mm and 38 super guns for obvious reasons.
They no longer stock them. The round is about 1/10th inch longer than the 45 acp. They used a 38 super mag but the bullets had to slant up too much to be reliable. The problem is worse with double stack mags. You can only get 4-5 rounds in a standard 38 super magazine. Converting a 1911 to 7.62x25 Tokarev - Shooting Times

There are UTube videos of people who tried to make them work, but J and G dropped them as I think too many just could not be made to work. There are blogs on the 1911 forum where I was a regular when I was building 1911s.

7.62x25 Tokarev Conversion Barrel Kit for the 1911 | Armory Blog7.62x25
Tokarev Conversion Barrel Kit for the 1911 | Armory Blog

Feb 07, 2011 · Available now from J&G sales, their 7.62x25MM conversion kit allows you to convert a 9mm or 38 super Government model 1911 pistol to fire the 7.62x25mm Tokarev round. The kit comes with a 5 inch barrel, bbl link pin, bushing, 26lb hammer

It was a great idea, just did not work very well. A 38 super with 100 grain bullets will do about the same velocity and practically out to 100 yards there is no advantage with the 7.62 x 25. I still think it would be great in a little carbine or even an AR pistol. FWIW

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Would a barrel change be sufficient? The 7.62x25 round is about a little longer than a 9mm, so the mag / mag well comes into play.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
In a heartbeat!
I enjoy the 7.62x25 in both my Yugo57 and CZ52. A carbine would be an awesome rifle.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Would a barrel change be sufficient? The 7.62x25 round is about a little longer than a 9mm, so the mag / mag well comes into play.
See my post above, they used the 38 super mags, but could only get 4-5 rounds in them. The idea died out because nobody wanted a 5 shot conversion gun. The loaded round is about 1/10 inch longer than both the 38 super and the 45 acp. Probably would work on one of those Coonan 357s.

You can also buy chamber inserts to shoot that round in the 7.62 x 54. Rectangle Cylinder Plant Font Automotive tire Gun Parts Corp

1 - 20 of 36 Posts