If... combination, cape, or drillings.. which?

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by bobvonb, Aug 17, 2010.

1. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

the double gun discussion is interesting but what about combination guns?
    this would include over unders, side by side non-matched, and 3 barrel guns. At least some of the over unders might be more affordable. Aren't there some Savage 20 gauge over 30-30's around?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_gun

a good bear gun might be two 30-06s over a 12 gauge drilling, for example. the possibilities boggle the mind.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. I bought my dad a Savage 30-30 over a 20 gauge back in 1985, seems to be a good shooter

3. Yes,

the idea of mating shotgun barrels to rifle barrels and even different calibers of rifle barrels to each other is a concept that has been around for many decades.

There does seem to always be a niche market for this type thing but it has never really moved into large and sustained demand.

One factor that gets in the way is the cost to manufacture this type gun at an accuracy level demanded by many shooters and hunters.

The drilling design can become especially costly due to the design for triggers, springs, firing pins, and extractors.

4. moosemike

moosemike G&G Newbie

Those European drillings are interesting. i'd have one in a good European metric caliber mated with 16 gauge barrels if possible.

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I doubt that we will see many "Drilling" firearms on the production line.At the price of making a double barrel action,emagine what a 3shooter would cost.(darn it!) ,,,sam.

6. It's possible if you have the money, there is one hanging in the pawnshop, not for sale though, that is double 16's over 9.3X74. So they are out there.

7. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

My drilling is two 12ga bbls over a 30-06 ;)

8. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 G&G Newbie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an example of the Cape gun! This one is a H. Berella side lock hammer cape gun, made in Berlin in about 1920. It is chambered for 16 ga shotgun on the left barrel, and the right barrel is chambered for 8X57JR (.318 dia).

The little cape gun shoots a 196 grain round-nose soft or solid dead on top of the front sight at 100 yds. The shot barrel will print a Brenneke slug right beside the rifle on the target also at 100 yds. The shot barrel will print a very dense pattern of no 7 ½ shot at 30 yds as well.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  9. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 G&G Newbie

[​IMG]
    Jones undelever
    [​IMG]
    back action hammer gun
    [​IMG]
    Very strange hook-up The forestock is permenantly attached to the action.

[​IMG]
    The two cape guns I own. Top is the Berella, and bottom is the Haffner
    Below the barrels laying on their sides the rifle barrel is the bottom one or the right barrel on both.
    [​IMG]

The pictures are of a Haffner cape gun made in Cassel, Germany, chambered for 58 Berdan carbine, on the right barrel, and 20 ga shotgun on the left barrel, This is a back action side lock hammer gun with Damascus barrels. The cases for this rifle cartridge have to be made from 577NE cases, and it uses a cast lead bullet, and is a black powder firearm. This rifle dates back to the 1880s or there about, but is in very good condition, and is fun to hunt with. It is hell on deer, and doves, and quail.

I also have a couple of O/U combination guns but they simply do have the class of these two!

10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Great pics,thanks for sharing. ,,,sam.

11. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 G&G Newbie

Mouser868, I bought one of the Savage 20 ga/30-30 combos back when they first came out. At the time I was working for a large Airline, and had access to a very well appointed Machine shop. I bought this combo for the express purpose of turning it into an O/U double rifle with shot barrel removed from the Mono-block. I turned down a Douglas barrel blank to fit into the mono-block and threaded both the block, and the barrel shank and the rest of the barrel blank was turned to match the top 30-30 barrel. Cut both barrels off at 20 inches, and regulated them for 170 gr Winchester ammo. I later installed side ribs between the barrels, and mounted iron express sights and filed them to be dead on at 100 yds. I then mounted a 3X Weaver scope with a German post and crosshair and zeroed it also at 100 yds.

The result turned out to be a real handy pick-up gun that I didn’t have to baby. It rode in the gun rack of my pick-up, and in a saddle scabbard on my trail bike, for several years. A buddy of mine who was at that time a partner in a pack of good lion, and bear dogs talked me out of that rifle after I quit the dog hunting in New Mexico. Fun gun for just about any everyday purpose.

PS: I’ve owned a couple of drillings over the years, but could never find one I really liked. My choice of a drilling would be one of the triple rifle drillings. I’d love to have a drilling with double 450/400NE 3” barrels over a single 9.3X74R barrel on the bottom.

The 450/400NE 3” barrels would handle most dangerous game just like any double rifle, and the 9.3X74R barrel on the bottom would be perfect for long shots on plains game. With a good illuminated scope in claw mounts for quick removable, or installation this would be a one gun for all purposes, even for leopard, lion or bear on bait, all plains game, and the double 450/400NE barrels for taking on the big boys!

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^ Getting a lot of useful info from you and I for one apreciate it. ,,,sam.

13. Dad likes his the way it is, and doesn't want to change anything, though what you did to yours sounds like an interesting project. Dad's will shoot 165 gr HNDY SP's into groups of an inch or less at 100 yards. We haven't shot slugs on it, so we don't know how that would work out.

14. franchi

franchi Guest

i love the classic drillings. alot of times they will have shotgun barrels on top and then a large cal rifle on bottom(8x57 or x59). thy often have a switch on the side to change over to the rifle and use doubble set triggers.