Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those questions that can lead to a lot of opinionated responses, and that’s kind of the point, to hear opinions.
For background, I’ve become a bit of a gun collector without exactly planning to be. In other words, acquired more guns than I ever expected to own. And dang if I don’t feel personally attached to each and every one of them, which I suppose makes me a gun polygamist.
That said, I’ve been wondering which I would absolutely keep if I could only keep two. There’s no way that a single gun could do it all, but when you think in terms of two guns it gets interesting to see if you can cover pretty much all your needs. And not a SHTF scenario, just the two that best meet life’s every day/every season needs.
There are lots of ways to break it down, and in my case I’d have to keep one primarily for hunting and another for self-defense. A gun that could do double or triple duty would, of course, be optimal (e.g., using a shotgun for self-defense as well as bird and close-in woods hunting). Then another for longer reach. So on balance a 12-gauge plus a 300WM is what I’m leaning toward.
Anyway, thought I’d pose the two-gun question to see what others might boil their arsenal down to.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Can't imagine life without my model 70 30.06. Can load it down for small game or up for all north American game. A pump shotgun with a couple of barrels and chamber adapters will last the rest of my life. But really only 2? Got to have a .22 rifle and pistol and a 9mm and a .44 and an AR and a lever 30.30 and and and and oh hell no, not just 2. LOL

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Oh wow, another what if 2 gun question when I'm in the same boat and have a somewhat modest collection as do most of the gang here ;) . On one hand I suppose a nice 22 like my Springfield / Stevens target model clickety clack & my Mini 14 would handle most things from the 5.56 realm. From an intermediate cartridge perspective ny Norwegian krag Jorgensen in 6.5 Swede and a good ol' sks or AK Hunter will get'r done here in the high desert. If something even more substantial is necessary I can't go wrong with my High Standard flite King 12 Gauge pump w/ vari-choke and my 7.5" Interarms SAA 44 Mag (or my Federal Ordinance M14) should cover all the bases and then some :p ..

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Simple for me! AR10 rifle and Glock Model 20 pistol. Covers all bases for where I live.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Just two guns..........wow that's a tough one.
I guess I could use a 12ga shotgun for squirrels as long as I wasn't right on top of them. So I wouldn't need the .22 but I would need extra barrels for the shotgun is that allowed? And I would need a gun the has a long reach probably in a .308 or larger caliber to have some knock down power.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I have to cheat and say three. First and foremost I would keep my Sig P938 for concealed carry and self defense. Then I would keep my Mossberg 535 with both barrels in case I needed to have some food, and finally I would keep my Ruger 10/22 for varmints and target practice. Just those three would be a pretty stark existence as I have so many others that I deeply love. If I could I would also add my Browning Buckmark 22 LR and my Sig Sauer P320 Compact .45 ACP.

·
God, Guns, Glory
35,036 Posts
The same two that I will be buried with.
.44 Marlin and my GP 100. ;)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,499 Posts
That's a tough one. I suspect in my case it would be my Mossberg 500 ex-police cruiser and my S&W Model 25 with the 6 inch barrel. Especially if I am allowed an extra barrel or two for the Mossy. I can get shot round that will run in the Model 25 that would do for small animals close up, and slugs or sabot rounds would work in the Mossberg.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
if you need one for concealed carry, you have to eliminate a much more useful rifle for a pistol. In that scenario I’d say my best 1911 and an AR-15.

I almost went with an AR-10, but you can put a 7.62x39 upper on an AR-15 to fill the .30 cal niche. Or a whole host of other cartridges.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good theoretical question.

Determining factor is whether you hunt and live in a rural area, or if you are a city dweller interested in target shooting and personal defense.

In the rural situation I would want a scoped deer rifle and a 12-ga. pump. Alternately a scoped .22 rifle and the 12-ga. if in a shotgun only deer hunting area.

In the urban defense scenario I'd want a six-shot, .38 Special P capable, concealable revolver or a compact 9mm autopistol; and either a lever-action rifle or semi-auto carbine of the same caliber which used the same magazines as the pistol, or a 12-ga. pump gun with short barrel.

·
God, Guns, Glory
35,036 Posts
Sounds like I might have to become a grave robber!?
Good luck with that idea.

According to my Son.
He said that he will promise to put them in the grave. BUT, it doesn't mean that the hole will be filled up with the guns still in it. As I wont be around to kick his azz.
Sneaky little bstard!
rant.gif

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
hmmm. fun question. given that if SHTF I'm in trouble...

if guns I already have, my 7x57 and the ever viable Ruger 10-22.

if gifted (i.e., money not an object) a Blaser R8 with 22-250, 6.5x57, and 30-06 barrels plus
a 9mm Sig 2022.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts