Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Global Warming Enthusiast
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to make the click to send a Henry 44 mag color case rifle to my FFL. I just can't make my mind up between the big loop 16.5" carbine and the 20" rifle. C'mon guys (and gals), help me choose!

Premium Member
Do The DUKE!

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His was a 20" big loop wasn't it? I considered that too, adding the glove loop to the rifle.

EDIT: So I just looked it up... John Wayne's model 92 was an 18.5". :D

Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I love Henry, but there is something about that eggplant-shaped large loop that I do not like as much as the more round ones found elsewhere. It feels better, but it just doesn't look as cool to my eye.
It's grown on me... I was wondering how it looks on the full length. That sleek look of the straight lever seems right on the long gun. I guess something about that 16" trapper look that makes the big loop look more at home I don't know.

You guys aren't helping. :p

I own a classical Browning Mdl. 1892 in .44 Magnum. I am not a fan of movie inspired firearms. :)
The Josh Randall Mare's Leg?:rolleyes:
Ever chrono the 44 mag in your '92? They were getting 2000+ out of 180g in the 16" model on YT which is pretty darn impressive. Pretty close to .30-30 power really.

Mare's leg illegal in CA of course... but let's face it that's nothing more than a range toy. I think I remember reading they "invented" that gun for the show, is there any documented usage before McQueen's TV prop?

My '92 is a .44-40. :) Lever guns are just SO sexy IMO. I need to go hunt something in my '94 my dad left me, he never got to. He told me that's what they used for deer in Iowa... not sure how he'd know that since he moved to Long Beach, CA when he was 4 years old, but nevertheless, he WAS born in Iowa and maybe his dad hunted deer with a '94. ;)

Registered
I got one of those B-82's also.

here is the question you need to ask yourself when deciding on lever gun lengths.

are you going to be carrying it?
I now own a 24" rifle with a full octagon barrel in 45 colt,,, and a slightly newer carbine with a round barrel that's only 20"s long.
guess when I bought the carbine version?
yep right after deer season.
bought one in 357 too, and a model 94 trapper in 44 mag to round things out.

the 45 carbine goes hunting though, since it is the lightest.

Resident Curmudgeon
I'd say it depends on what you want to use it for. If you're looking for a truck gun for patrolling the fence, dealing with feral hogs, and the odd coyote, feral dog, or some kind of weasel, get the carbine. If you are planning on hunting with it, get the rifle in .45 Colt (or Long Colt, as I grew up saying it).

Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd say it depends on what you want to use it for. If you're looking for a truck gun for patrolling the fence, dealing with feral hogs, and the odd coyote, feral dog, or some kind of weasel, get the carbine. If you are planning on hunting with it, get the rifle in .45 Colt (or Long Colt, as I grew up saying it).
I'm just adding to the collection more than anything Cyrano. :) I'll stick with .44 Mag just because I already have a couple other guns in the caliber and ammo on hand... plus the dies etc. I like .45LC (that's what we called it too) but I just don't really want to add another caliber to the mix.

I've gone back and forth between the two half a dozen times today...

Registered
Personally I like longer barrels, but that being said I've got a pre 64 Winny Carbine in 30-30, in addition to a Marlin Cowboy Octagon barrel in 44 mag with a 20", and lastly another Winny 94-AE in .357 with a 24" barrel, and out of all of them the 24" .357 is my favorite shooter, even though I'm probably losing velocity with that long of a barrel.

So I would go with whichever one you like the most and feels the best in your hand. As far as ballistics go in virtually every handgun caliber rifle out there once you get beyond about 15-16" in barrel length any gains you get in velocity are minimal, due to the fast burning powder used in commercial handgun rounds.

Now I don't reload but I imagine if you do you could experiment with or find load data that would optimize the velocity out of a longer barrel, but the way I look at it is that if you're going to make special loads for your rifle that will work poorly in your companion pistol then any imagined advantage to having a matched PCC / Pistol combo becomes just a romantic notion.

Not that I think there is much of an advantage in the first place since to me any PCC is in reality a 100 yard gun- so If I'm going to pack both a pistol and a rifle why would I limit myself to a 100 yard rifle?... That being said I still have a Matching pistol to accompany EVERY PCC I own both Lever and Semi-Auto :rolleyes: (Guess I'm a Romantic at Heart!).

FYI here's a link to Ballistics By the Inch page on 44 Magnum, though they only go up to 18 inches of barrel length in their tests-
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

1 - 20 of 75 Posts