Gun and Game Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

Global Warming Enthusiast
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Do you know a gun smith or shop of some kind who could case harden yours for $85.00 or less?
Yeah I doubt that Rex... Seems like Henry OEM would be the way to go best I can tell. I have about as much luck finding good and reliable gunsmiths as I do guitar techs or Harley mechanics. I DO have a good auto mechanic and he and his shop shall receive a $100 pizza feast next week as a token of my appreciation.

I don't know why I cannot find independent tradesmen that take pride in their work and are reliable, they would make a fortune around here.

Registered
I would not put a big loop on any lever gun I own.
I don't plan on doing the spinny around reloading trick, even if I get shot in the hand.

and I am definitely not a fan of slamming my hand down into a chunk of metal to operate my rifles.
they make leather wraps for the levers for a reason [besides the fact they look cool]
the large loop to me is like putting a cup holder on your AR.

Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I think it's a glove loop, not a Rifleman loop. :D

But I get ya', and no matter how cold it gets I usually hunt with thin booger-pickers and a handwarmer in the pocket. It would be kind of nice to see how it looks, but they haven't got my $85 yet... They don't offer a case color standard loop lever which is kind of a bummer.

Discussion Starter · #64 ·
So I just ordered the case colored big loop and the Talley scope mount for the gun. Yeah, it's not "traditional" in the sense we think of levers I suppose but you know what, it kept coming back to me that this is my 2019 Henry 44 magnum and not my 1922 Winchester 92 and let's face it, it's a modern firearm. I'm going to mount a Leupold fixed-power scope to it and the big loop and it won't look like any other gun I own and that's cool by me. It's not a collectable firearm, it's just a really neat American made lever action gun.

Pics soon! :D

Discussion Starter · #66 ·
That's right Lance, that rascal is yours and you can do about anything you want...
Sounds like a really functional combo you're putting together...
We'll see right Rex? I always used to like the look of a scope on a lever gun when I was a kid, looking at old pics on the internet I think most of them were probably Marlin 336s with more of a pistol grip stock, not sure how this is going to look on my straight grip but what the hell. It's not like I'm drilling holes in my dad's '94, the holes are already there and Henry offers a great mount for it so let's do this. I'll find a Leupold on Gunbroker and if all said and done if I hate it I'll just resell it.

Or.... I'll buy a 336 and mount it on that. :D

Registered
you can always pound the loop flat too.
or cut it and re wrap it to normal or make it just some oversize.
it's just a loop of metal with a tab on the end.

I got a chuckle about the it ain't a collector item thing.
there are a few dozen thousand 357 mag win. model 92's that used to be 25-20 and 32-20's that weren't collector items back then either.
probably a few hundred babe ruth/ted williams rookie cards in the landfills across the country too.

Reactions: neophyte

Discussion Starter · #68 ·
you can always pound the loop flat too.
or cut it and re wrap it to normal or make it just some oversize.
it's just a loop of metal with a tab on the end.

I got a chuckle about the it ain't a collector item thing.
there are a few dozen thousand 357 mag win. model 92's that used to be 25-20 and 32-20's that weren't collector items back then either.
probably a few hundred babe ruth/ted williams rookie cards in the landfills across the country too.
This is true... but, I'm 57 years old my man. I have one daughter, a liberal. If 50 years from now this gun is worth a gazillion dollars my nephew can just take the scope off of it and install the original lever. ;)

Registered
Although I like the look of the standard straight loop on say a 94 Winchester the longer one of the 95 and the curved one of the Marlin 336 fit me better.

I got XL to XXL sized hands and that's the way things are.

If I needed a big loop I'd get one

Discussion Starter · #74 ·
RANGE DAY!

What a kick in the butt! I shot WWB 240g jacketed flat nose and let me say first off that this is the first .44 magnum rifle I have ever shot. First impression? More recoil than I anticipated! Not horrible or anything, but a tad stout and I was a little surprised. I've shot jillions of rounds through my model 29 and I just didn't think this was going to be much more than say a .243 or something, but I would say it's pretty much on par with a .308, maybe a tad less.

The gun shot flawlessly, I bore sighted it at home at 70 feet and when I got to the range I was 6" high and 4" left at 50 yards. A few quick adjustments and within another tube I was drilling the center and I set it to shoot about 1" high at 50 which was the approximate data given to me here:

http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

I moved it out to 100 and it was almost dead nuts, no need to screw with it because at that point any variances were likely just me. FWIW I never lock my rifles down on a sled, I always just shoot from a bench and that's just because I've never found a sled in the field. So shooting with my skill (or lack thereof) I was shooting 3-4" five shot groups at 100 and I never expected anything better than that with a pistol caliber lever.

So I moved to 200 for fun started shooting at a 12" steel square. Yep, hit the dirt! I brought the hairs up 4 clicks (should be 1" at 100) to give it a little more arc and shot again and it at least hit the dirt behind the target instead of in front of it. I looked at the dope chart and it shows about 17" at 200 and that's pretty close to what I was seeing. The target was hanging just about 18" below the frame so I shot again and aimed at the frame... Whack! :p Time for freehand... at 100 yards I was able to shoot killzone accuracy no problem so I moved out to 200 for fun and rang the bell on my second shot and was able to hit it about 50% of the time with the aforementioned holdover.

The gun is really nice. very well balanced and I like the bigger loop for cycling the action. Seemed natural to flick without the fingers getting bound up which is something I experienced just a bit with the stock lever. The gun carried very naturally and the checkering is aggressive enough to get a good grip for walking with the gun. Holds 10+1 and the action cycles very smoothly and got smoother after a few tubes as the factory lube worked it's way in and the metal parts got to know each other. As far as game goes, well you're only carrying 1,000 ft/lbs at 100 yards so the ability to ethically take larger game diminishes greatly beyond that point IMO. I think 150 is probably the upper end of the range for hunting and that's pretty much what I've read.

Let me add one thing. The Leupold FX-II 4X scope is OUTSTANDING in clarity and eye relief, if you want to scope your lever I cannot recommend it any stronger. At $300 it's unbelievably bright and the focus is vary sharp. Two thumbs up.

I had a lot of fun at the range today and I am very happy with my purchase.

Premium Member
Good report Lance.
Glad you got to go get it all sighted in.
I'm a little surprised by the recoil level you experienced too.
I know the Rossi M-92 I had in 357 was very docile.
I might be surprised by the recoil level of my 41 Remington Magnum Henry carbine if/whenI get healthy enough to go shooting.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts