Gun and Game Forum banner

I'm convinced

Hi-Point 
11K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  BigEd63 
#1 ·
I've been wanting a 45 ACP carbine for sometime. And I totally forgot about Hi Point. I have shot the 9mm version before the one I used was made in 2003, but honestly I had no complaints about the gun, other than being a little ugly, it worked flawlessly. So after reading reviews online and watching probably way too many you tube videos, gonna swing by my local gun shop tomorrow before work and see if they can get a 4595 in for me. I guess the main reason I've always wanted a rifle in a pistol round is like the old west days where guys had Model 1982 Winchesters and Colt SAA revolvers, 2 gun under 1 caliber. Effective and economic.So with all of this said, wish me Wed afternoon at the gun shop and let us see what happens next.

#3 ·
After 1,200 rounds of reloads and factory ammo, I had to break down and clean my 995TS. Un-burnt powder started causing trigger malfunctions.

Order extra mags and the stock mounted mag clips from Hi Points website. The ones I ordered came in the mail in three days. There are plenty of reasonably priced accessories on their sight.

Have fun.

dz

#5 ·
quick question for everyone on here with their hi point carbines. What are some accessory ideas you guys have some up with for your rifle? The main reason I got this rifle was out of convenience b/c it shoot the 45acp round. I already have the new mag to accept 1911 from Thingmesiter fabrication out of Reno, NV. But as far as options go since it has rails, what have you guys done to dress up your rifles?

#8 ·
quick question for everyone on here with their hi point carbines. What are some accessory ideas you guys have some up with for your rifle?
. . .
But as far as options go since it has rails, what have you guys done to dress up your rifles?
I have a Magpul AFG that replaced the folding front grip on my 995TS, and am really glad I bought it. Due to the carbine's rails being plastic, there is a little bit of side-to-side play, but nothing that affects performance. I'm also using a PFI red dot - actually it's overkill for a $300ish gun - that is a lot of fun. I just added the Hi-Point factory mag holder attachment a month or so ago, and am now basically done accessorizing.

#7 ·
Yeah not gonna lie I prefer the factory stock triggers on my K98 and czech M98/22 much more than this one. I shot it real quick at my gun club shoot last sat and was reasonably accurate, and all around fun. I have yet to install the new mag catch I have for it so I can purchase more 1911 mags, but maybe this weekend since I won't be doing much of anything. and seriously, to all my fellow 4595 owners.............get this mag catch it does work. Why have 9 rounds when you can have 15? Just saying, right? Now i need to buy some 15 round mags; more like 6 of those...........or 10.

#12 ·
I just got my Hi-Point > 1911 mag adapter kit in the mail this week. I'm going to put it in my pistol, though. It does make more sense to do it in the rifle, but that belongs to my son; let him spend the $30 or ask for it for his birthday.

#13 ·
And today, I bought my gift-from-God, happily-ever-after trophy wife Vanessa her very own 4595, like-new condition, $275.55 from Cherokee Pawn & Gun. She not happy yet as she's going to be; in fact, she likes the pink range bag I got her better.
Here's my thinking on this: I'm planning to teach her both handgun and rifle shooting. I was going to get her an AR-15 because of the low recoil, but in the meantime I ran across an article written by a guy who plans on replacing his home defense AR-15 with the Hi-Point 4595.
I don't know if I would go that far, but the weight and recoil, my two main factors in leaning toward the AR-15, are also big plusses for the .45 ACP out of the 4595. Initial purchase price: slightly over half of the cheapest AR-15 I've seen, and since I reload, cost of shooting is negligible.
I'm gonna stick with the .22 pistol to teach her how to shoot,

#16 ·
I've got a pair of HP carbines in 9mm, and one in .45 acp. One of the 9mm carbines is a mid 1990's version with the old stock [that I find more comfortable shooting], and I've not had any problems with the guns or factory magazines. My wife likes using, and is a darned good shot with the 4595, so it, with a good light attached, has become one of our household standbys. For some reason, the .45 carbine eats any hollow point ammo I've tried, while the JHP pistol only seems to care for 230g. hp or ball ammo - anything with a well-rounded nose profile.

#18 ·
I'm a big fan of the 4595. It was the first Rifle I bought and I wanted one that looked like one of those dangerous black assault rifles. I didn't know anything about HiPoint or any of the negative stories associated with their guns. I've had nothing but good experiences with mine and it will indeed eat any kind of target or defense ammo I put in it.

#21 ·
Ya, but you can buy two Hi Points for the price of one mech-tech, and still need the 1911 frame...

And, I can't decide which is uglier... :D

Reactions: jwrauch
#25 ·
If you'll keep the feed ramp kind of clean, the Hi-Point carbines are sort of the PCC equivalent of an AK type as far as reliability is concerned. My 9mm variants have been in the hands of nephews and younger brothers for extended periods of heavy use, and they've ended up buying their own after several months with mine. Even the cheap-seeming magazines have been fine. My .45 acp version has stayed with me [mostly since my wife considers it her go-to gun] and it has less overall rounds through it than the 9mm versions, but it has been very reliable. These are awesome PCC weapons if you don't mind the capacity limitations dictated by the makers.

#27 · (Edited)
I can't speak to the Model 4595, but my Model 995 is accurate out to 100 yards. (General note: I wish Boyds Gunstocks would get busy on an American Traditional sporter stock like the Prairie Hunter for the Hi-Points.) But for hog-hunting, even with JHPs or the new "shredder" copper rounds I would hesitate to use any Hi-Point carbine much past 50 yards. Inside that range, they'd be lethal on pigs; beyond it, well, I think the pistol cartridge's terminal energy falls off too much, based on what I have read. It's not like we're talking a Mosin Nagant rifle here. (I have seen a video where someone using a scope Mosin took down a large hog at 350 yards with a 91/30 shooting softpoints.)

I think the performance issue is true of any pistol caliber carbine, though I may be wrong about that. But when you consider that many deer hunters won't try a shot with a Winchester 94 in .30-30 past 100 yards, I think my horse sense here is not far off the mark.

Reactions: jwrauch and MoDoc
#29 ·
Anywho, now I have a dedicated 10mm carbine, don't need to use a pistol. It uses Glock 14 round mags. It is easily converted to .45 ACP, .40 Cal S&W, 9mm, 357 SIG, and .22 LR. You can thread the barrel for a suppressor. Barrel unscrews and collapsible stock so it packs up in a small package.

Reactions: Junction15
#30 ·
I really like my Hi Point 4595. I've had it for about 5 years and have never had a failure. It's pin point accurate to 50 yards and with the included red dot sight target acquisition is very easy. I would probably never buy a Hi Point pistol but I will probably buy a 9mm carbine one of these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.