I'm Done with Building AR-15'!!!!....Because...

Discussion in 'AR15' started by BigEd63, Sep 14, 2020.

1. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    I'm now working on my first AR-10 build!:p
    :usa: IMG_20200914_180128_02.jpg IMG_20200914_180128_01.jpg
    :cool: Gonna have a 7.62NATO lead dispenser in the near future!
    May not have ammo but.....:p we'll see.:D

TACAV, shop tom, goat roper and 14 others like this.
  2. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    i wish i could like this more than once!

jwrauch, Jaison, Ten Man and 4 others like this.

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Oh man, go for it.

jwrauch, rando, Jaison and 3 others like this.
  4. redcaddy51

redcaddy51 G&G Evangelist

What does an all up AR-10 weigh? I need to know how much lighter it is , than my FN-FAL.

RED

jwrauch likes this.
  5. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

I have already done two AR10s but I haven't stopped making AR15s.
    It don't mean you have to stop making one to do the other, I still build AKs too. LOL

jwrauch, ChaZam and MosinRuger like this.
  6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE! (Quooooo Whoooooo)

[​IMG]

BigEd63, jwrauch and ChaZam like this.
  7. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Rock on, man!

Been considering an AR10 in 6.5 PRC, if it ever gets out of the prototype phase.

And, if the dark lords of Richmond don’t ban them.

8. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I will get to building at least one someday. I still have like 5 AR15's to assemble yet. I hope to see the difference in building the two.

Ten Man, jwrauch and Jaison like this.
  9. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    I'm just waiting on an upper to finish my AR-15 pistol build well that and a SB Tactical brace.

I bought what parts for the AR-10 build I could local then had to scare up what I wanted generally online.
    Most of it will be Aero Precision upper, lower, bolt carrier group and barrel. Mix of other decent quality parts. Took awhile last night and this morning to hunt them up.

Ten Man, Jaison and ChaZam like this.
  10. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Ugh, not to sound like one of those guys, and it’s not a bad thing but your building a LR308 DPMS platform.

I built mine a few years ago. Thought I had an $800-$900 budget under control but that jumped up a bit by 3 or 4 hunret bones.

The most important thing to realize is they are not AR-15’s the parts are not spec in any kind of way and not all things “Mesh”

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

Ten Man, Jaison and ChaZam like this.
  11. jerry

USA
    If your keeping most of it Aero, you should have less troubles. After I built mine, I avoided a lot of mistakes by helping my buddy. He went mostly aero. They have nice stuff.

Ten Man and ChaZam like this.
  12. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    You do have to watch the rail height(between uppers & railed handguard tops)and how the uppers and lowers are machined.
    That's what took me awhile, finding and triple checking everything.

And although far from over the different AR1O changes the. LR308 is becoming more the VHS instead of the Beta.

Sometimes barrels and extensions won't work with others. Then there's the GIi series which is even more of a different deal.

Ten Man, jerry and ChaZam like this.
  13. redcaddy51

redcaddy51 G&G Evangelist

You guy's all seem thoughtful and experienced, would any of you comment on a comparison between an AR-10 and a FN-FAL? I'm a long time FAL shooter wondering about stepping up / down to an AR-10. Pro, con, ???

Thanks, RED

Jaison likes this.
  14. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

+1 on the interest, sir.

15. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    All rifle designs have their strengths and weaknesses.

I'm not going to rehash them here but a FAL pattern rifle is very sturdy and reliable. But it gives up some in the accuracy dept. It's combat accurate but it's difficult to tweak it into a DMR and or sniper rifle. Not saying it can't be done but it takes some finesse and patience.
    But if it came down to hand to hand smash an enemy upside the head with the stock or barrel the FAL gets my vote.

Now with the AR-10 we get into the area of what you want to build or can find parts to build.
    Theoretically it's possible to build a super robust and super reliable AR 10 and not saying it ain't anyway. Something like a super sized AR-15A2/M16A2 could be built. It'd also probably be more accurate than the FAL.
    Now you also have the ability to assemble a very accurate rifle without much fussing around. Excellent trigger groups are everywhere and with rare exceptions all AR-10/15 trigger groups interchange. Free float handguards are common and probably much easier to find than A2 style handguard set ups.
    Scope mounts and sights are easy modern flat top upper receiver and a free float handguard with top rail and any combo of scope and back up iron sights are available.
    All boils down to what you want to build it's like the AR-15 only bigger.

Ten Man, jerry and Jaison like this.
  16. jerry

USA
    Big Ed saved me a crap load of typing. Spot on.
    If I had my druthers, another word for money, lol, I’d have both. Would prefer an FN FAL, but DSA and maybe couple others may have decent stuff.

Ten Man likes this.
  17. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    You could build a "Franken AR10" Or, you could just BUY an Armalite AR10! :D:D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-10 Weight approx. 8 pounds.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=41 Weight approx. 9 pounds.

I have never shot an FN/FAL, so I can not compare the two. I do own and shoot a Springfield Armory M1A, National Match rifle, made in 1999. Between it and the Armalite AR10, I'll take the AR10, ANY day for a multitude of reasons:

Same Manual of Arms as AR15
    More accurate than the M1A
    Less felt recoil than the M1A
    Easier to clean and maintain than the M1A
    Lighter than the M1A
    Easier to mount a scope than the M1A
    More ergonomically functional than the M1A

All the features of the M1A that I don't prefer, are due to it's "traditional" long gun format. Having held an FN/FAL, I found it to be pretty much the same format. To ME the FN/FAL looked and felt like a large AK47.

The only way for YOU to truly know which you would prefer is to try an AR10 side by side with your FN/FAL. If you really didn't like the AR10, I would be surprised.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:17 AM
    jerry and Jaison like this.
  18. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

Of course it depends on what FN FAL model you are looking at. For any standard size FAL the AR10 is going to be lighter. The AR10 is mostly aluminum and plastic where the FAL is steel and either plastic or wood.
    Back in the early 90's when I was first dabbling with getting into building an FAL I ended up running across a guy that used to have a gun shop and he was selling off the machine tools he had for doing a bit of gunsmithing at one time. He turned out to be an avid FAL builder and his two sons used them in matches. He claimed the only rifle to better an FAL were some of the best M1A's at the matches.
    The AR10 as does the AR15 platform allows for stocking up on parts that might be needed in the future as well as having a whole upper easily change out and you have a new barrel in minutes or even a whole different round.
    If I was just starting out today looking to get into a .308 mbr type weapon it would be the AR10 platform of the most common type.

jerry, Jaison and Ten Man like this.
  19. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Coming from the Member with the screen name of FN FAL, that's quite an endorsement!! :usa:

jerry likes this.
  20. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My DPMS Sportical in .308 was around 10 lbs. Felt like 20..