I'm Done with Building AR-15'!!!!....Because...

Discussion in 'AR15' started by BigEd63, Sep 14, 2020.

1. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    I've helped assemble a couple of FAL rifles with a friend of mine's father. I know the difference in build ease too as I was the gorilla on the end of the wrench helping to time/index everything just right.
    Also the days of cherry part's kits are long gone.
    Not saying a AR pattern rifle is super easy but compared to a FAL, M-14 or G3 build it's easier. And the later (G3) you really need the equal of a good metal working shop to do it right.

rando, TXplt and jerry like this.
  2. redcaddy51

redcaddy51 G&G Evangelist

A lifetime ago, I carried both the M-14 and the FAL, thru some pretty rough neighborhoods. I came to prefer the FAL. It was shorter, quicker to hand, better balanced in my hands. I found the left hand charge handle easier to manipulate, without breaking the grip or cheek weld.

I found both to have too much muzzle climb in supressive fire mode, but add on's and technique for the FAL mitigated the bounce. I personally prefer the metal forend furniture and the clam shell bi-pod, with carry handle. The composit butt stock reacts to sweat and dirt better (for me) than the skinny little buffer tube and plastic triangle does.

I don't have much trigger time on an AR-10, but I am conversant in the AR platforms in general. Until the AR-10 can be built a couple of pounds lighter, while resisting battle damage as well as the FAL, I think I'll stay with what I know.

Thanks very much for the relevant input.

Now that I don't have to drag anything thru the woods for a living, (I'm getting too feeble to shoulder a pack anyway) I'll finish my hitch out with A T & T bolt guns and tree stand ambush tactics.

RED

rando, TXplt, Ten Man and 2 others like this.

3. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Some noted Aero Precision differences which I kinda like. Rear take down detent pin is relocated to a vertical position to make it easier to assemble. No concern over binding it up and bending it when attaching or removing the buffer tube and stock assembly. IMG_20200916_181843.jpg
    Also while no way to do a measured comparison the lower and upper are more on the thicker/robust side and remind me of the SIG716 I used to own a few years back.
    Not area by mag release. : IMG_20200916_181859.jpg
    And the icing on the cake! No Acuwedge needed here not with a built in one so to speak. My old Sig 716 had something similar. IMG_20200916_202808.jpg
    Also forgot to add that even though I got a better trigger coming I went ahead and very carefully and I mean very carefully hand polished the trigger and hammer that came with the CMMG lower parts kit. Heavy still but smooth as butter.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    TACAV, rando, TXplt and 4 others like this.
  4. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    You guys are making me want to take the LR out for a spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

rando, ChaZam and Ten Man like this.
  5. jerry

USA
    You guys are making me want to take the LR out for a spin.

ChaZam likes this.
  6. jerry

USA
    One thing that doesn’t cost a lot that I highly recommend on a DPMS build is the G2 extractor.

rando, TXplt, Ten Man and 1 other person like this.
  7. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Barrel should be in today and just found out that they have Magpul MIAD grips back in stock in black.

ChaZam, Jaison and TXplt like this.
  8. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

That's nice--the takedown or pivot pins (and springs) have always been the bane of my existence when assembling a lower. I guess EVERY project has to have a catch and that's been my catch.

Especially the pivot pin retainer pin and spring......lotsa sproinks and aw [email protected]!t's there over the years.

Perhaps the silver lining is it makes the hammer and hammer spring installation appear like a piece of cake.

Anything to make this process better is great in my book.

ChaZam, Jaison and BigEd63 like this.
  9. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    They even have a access hole right across from the pivot pin retainer pin.
    It doesn't eliminate but greatly reduced profanity in my experience.

TXplt and ChaZam like this.
  10. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I'm a wee bit unclear about what you are describing here Ed. Any way you can post a picture so my little pea sized brain understands? :)

11. Alex Roderick

Alex Roderick G&G Regular

USA
    I've had this for 2 years now and I still love it! :)

12. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Will do when I can right now I'm headed up to a friend's to put the upper together.
    But the lower is at home.

I'm stopped at a sonic for a double cheeseburger fix!

13. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Sweet, Brandon Herrera just did a 308 fire mouth (A10 pistol) video. I need to find a piece of RR track @ the scrapyard, and get a Pneumatic rivet gun and a 12-ton press from China Freight so I can get started putting my Romanian PSL together now that I got me a nice Hitachi air compressor.

14. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Well here's the best closeup I can manage. II know I should have pics during the lower assembly.
    But all three of my left hands were busy working in the pivot pin.:p:D
    IMG_20200922_210602.jpg
    Also is a quick shot of the installed Barrel.

Sorry for the fuzzy pic getting a bit tired.
    IMG_20200922_211115.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  15. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I see now. That lug or boss is wider than on an AR15 lower and I imagine the pivot pin is probably 1/4" longer too. Or perhaps more since I bet the opposite lug is wider too.

TXplt and jerry like this.
  16. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    It's also a little beefier in places than some AR-10'S but not all. Mag release button is not caged but it's all thicker so I have an extended button on the way.
    I'd say close to the older SIG 716 used to own probably a 6 of 1 half dozen of another deal. And probably more stout than the Rock River Arms LAR-8 I owned that was my first AR-10 type rifle.

Here we go I really have to give it a rest .
    Nothing is really tightened down except the LMT flash suppressor.
    I gotta double check the gas block then secure it. Then index and tighten up the handguard.

Already given it a special name and designation. Considering family tradition and all. MAR-10 Pronounced "Martin" named in honor of my Grand Father Martin Bernadzkowski.
    IMG_20200922_233621.jpg
    Fell asleep while waiting for the pic to upload after I cleaned up my tools. That's blue loctite if anyone wonders or worries.
    Oh btw one thing that offsets the nice things about the lower receiver is the Aero Precision gas block. Melonited steel is not the easiest thing to drive a roll pin into. Hard and slicker than snot to hold onto. I normally use a hand turned drill bit to slightly chamfer the roll pin hole on the gas block. Nope not with this, had to use the corner edge of a very thin diamond coated sharpener to do the job.
    Today when I get more awake I'll finish up.

blaster, TXplt, TACAV and 3 others like this.
  17. jerry

USA
    I like the flash suppressor. I have a brake that Moriarti puts on about all uppers. It’s violent.

18. jerry

USA
    Dang it! That forearm is nice too. Sweet build.

TXplt, TACAV and ChaZam like this.
  19. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Nice build! Cant wait for the range report!

What Sig 716 did you own? I just got a new DI one. Not the Piston.

ChaZam and TXplt like this.
  20. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Thanks.

I owned one of the early piston operated ones with the adjustable gas system.
    It was a tack driver but it's only problem was it didn't run reliabley with my pet target load so I had to bump it up from 44grs of 748 to 45.4grs. Still drove tacks. Oh bullet was Sierra 168gr BTHP Match.

jerry, ChaZam and TACAV like this.