I'm Done with Building AR-15'!!!!....Because...

Discussion in 'AR15' started by BigEd63, Sep 14, 2020.

1. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

We have a couple of the newer Sig 716 G2 (Gen2) DMRs (piston guns)... They are nice. We use them as overwatch/DMR guns for our SWAT sniper teams for times when we think they might be a better choice over our bolt guns.

jerry and ChaZam like this.
  2. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Oh yeah the 18.5" ones, iirc?
    Was lusting after one back then.

jerry and ChaZam like this.

3. TACAV

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-sig-sauer-716-g2-dmr/

This one. I think they made them in 18" and 16". I should know this but for some reason I cant remember which ones we have lol. I think the 16" ones.

Sig is making the newest/current G2 DMR version in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The only think we changed on ours is the stock... why Sig put a Magpul CTR/MOE carbine pattern stock on a DMR is beyond me... We put a beefier one on there that gives you a better cheekweld to go with the optics. Also balances the gun a tad bit better.

jerry, TXplt and ChaZam like this.
  4. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    that one heck of a thick taper barrel on that upper! wow how much does it weigh?

jerry likes this.
  5. TACAV

Not sure on the upper.... the whole gun without accessories is 8.5 lbs.

The one complaint I have about the 716 DMR is the handguard seems to be taller than it needs to be.

Regarding the barrel taper, it really only tapers at the rear and the very front were the muzzle device is. Sig uses a tapered barrel near the muzzle for their suppressor mounting. If you were looking at the pics in the link I posted maybe you got the gas piston rod mixed up with the barrel? That does have a big taper down and back up again lol. but thats on top of the barrel.

jerry likes this.
  6. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    They always seem to screw up the stock fit on the 716.
    I actually put a CTR Stock on mine because with a scope the one they had put on it STR with the storage tubes in combo with by big block head gave me a crappy cheek weld.
    Now with a 20MOA Receiver and handguard system that'll suck. If fact sorry I think that's freaking stupid in total. Like trying to paddle a canoe with a tennis racket.

And a trigger comment mine came with an atrociously rough and heavy trigger. You'd think they'd at least use something like the Larue MBT2S.

TXplt and TACAV like this.
  7. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Brief Range Report

Weather Conditions: A clear sunny day. But,a as I had the magic number 3 of new firearms to sight in the Range Trolls were farting up a 14mph cross wind that had the target backers waving in the wind which had the targets moving up and down about an inch.
    So keeping that in mind here's 5 shots at 100yds scoped with a Nikon rimfire scope set at 9X.
    Ammo is store bought not hand loaded so it's Hornady Black 155gr AMAX. Felt recoil was a little stout but not bad just a very quick push. May add a thicker pad to the Magpul stock but not really needed. Not much muzzle rise at all.
    No attempted holding for windage or adjustment for.
    IMG_20200929_143125.jpg
    Can't wait to acquire a more appropriate scope for it but that's another thread.

Also very happy with the Geissele SSA trigger.

Ejection was good but can't judge too much as I was using a brass catcher and only fired one round to test.

MosinRuger, ChaZam, TXplt and 3 others like this.
  8. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Very respectable, sir!

ChaZam, TXplt and jerry like this.
  9. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Thanks, The Aero Precision barrel and Geissele trigger helped a lot the later broke as clean as a adjusted bolt action trigger.
    Makes things a lot easier.

MosinRuger, ChaZam, TXplt and 2 others like this.
  10. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

The Geissele is kind of the gold standard. I’ve one on my mpw. IMHO the larue MBT2s has run a close second at a much lower cost and have retrofitted these to my DDM4 and some builds. But I also like a duty style trigger on my HD pistol build (built around a Ruger lower and PSA 10.5 inch upper) and used the PSA NiB trigger group for this — which was low cost (at the time at least—like 30 bucks) and has worked well.

ChaZam likes this.
  11. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    You know oddly enough I've been pondering other triggers for my 5.56 ARs right before I saw your post. I had been thinking of the LaRue MBT2S for my Suarez International Commando pistol build. The trigger in it is a CMMG that I carefully hand polished. But I think it breaks at around 9 pounds. I think I'm tempted to get the MBT2S and use the optional heavier 6lb spring they include.

I'm also thinking of replacement of all my RRA NM and Varmint triggers with LaRue's on my 5.56 AR's. I think they may hold up better to anticipated heavy use.

TXplt and ChaZam like this.
  12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Geissele's the best I ever shot, but the MBT's from LaRue were available for around 89 dollars when I got them and to me rank a close second.

9# seems really heavy on an AR for my tastes; the LaRue is a 2-stage at around 4 pounds. The NiB trigger from PSA is more of a duty trigger at 6# or so with a stock (but smooth) AR 'feel.' I've been really happy with the LaRue's.

Good luck and hope it works for ya !

13. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Well before I dropped coin on the LaRue for this latest AR Pistol build I went over to see a friend who's got a Wheeler Electronic Trigger Pull Gauge.
    It is breaking right at 6lbs vs. my redneck pull gauge using string and weight lifting weights.:D
    So I'll wait on that going by this weight.

jerry and TXplt like this.
  14. MosinRuger

Colorado
    this barrel has significant taper from barrel extension to muzzle, IMO.

not that it's a bad thing, just an observation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    ChaZam and TACAV like this.
  15. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Oh sorry I didn't realize it was about the Aero Precision barrel.

According to them it's 52.35oz

I wanted a DMR type rifle build and this thing fitted in perfectly. The two previous rifles I had were 16" ones that while accurate had more muzzle jump. This just pushes almost straight back.

Sigh, I wish cheap surplus 7.62NATO was still on the market. I'd love to run this rifle hard for a couple of hundred rounds without having to spend over a couple hundred dollars.

MosinRuger and ChaZam like this.
  16. MosinRuger

Colorado

I think its really cool! it makes sense, thicker down were the pressure and heat are higher, lighter out front where it weighs more. i've just never personally seen one that "extreme".

I hear nothing but good things about aero components.

BigEd63 likes this.
  17. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    I didn't hear much about them until I read about the brand favorably on the Warrior Talk website.
    And in addition I wanted to build something so I could obviously get spare parts for it.
    Although currently with all the panic buying they're still scarce.
    But at least they're not "Sales verboten to der untermench!" Like one companies policy.:confused::pThat I won't mention.:rolleyes::D

18. MosinRuger

Colorado

what? colt?

19. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    No SIG actually. The 716 I had was a great rifle but Nien! on getting certain proprietary parts. I suspect the current one is less so retricted with the direct impingement gas system. I was just joking with someone here who got one.

TACAV and MosinRuger like this.