close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm hooked....thank you

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Snakebite, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Everyone with a Mosin is to blame! After reading the forums for months and seeing how much fun they are, I figured I had to get one. I learned enough on this forum and the Mosin-Nagant website to make an intelligent choice as to what to look for. I went to the gun dealer yesterday and looked at all the M44's. They were all the same price..$199.95 I thought that was a little high and wasnt going to buy especially since some were real beat up. The dealer admitted he knew nothing about the M44. He didnt even know what ammo it took! I found one in his inventory that was a brand new UNISSUED and I'm sure has never been fired. It was packed with webbed sling, ammo pouch, and oil bottles. It was made in 1945 at the Izhevsk plant. This gun is absolutely perfect with no dings or nicks. The magazine follower still has 100% bluing like its never been loaded. According to Mosin-Nagant.net, there were over 3 million made in 1945 but it is uncommon to find one with Russian markings because most were sold to other countries that put their marks on the guns. It looks like I'll be at the range tomorrow. Cant wait to shoot it and see the muzzle blast everyone talks about. I've read a lot about the recoil too. Guess I'll find out about that too.

2. Dear Rattlesnakebite,

Welcome to the family of Mosin-Nagant Fans!

I almost dont want to say anything for fear of spoiling your fun but $199 was a high price, even for an unissued Russian M44. The wartime production Russian M44s sell in Shotgun News for about $85 + S&H in unissued condition. The post-war models are about $10 less.

That being said....as long as you are happy with your purchase all is well.
    I own and shoot one of the now famous unissued Polish M44s from 1952 that were imported back in the late 1990s. Rumor has it, they were built for North Korea who then refused to pay for them and so they were stashed away until about 1997 when they found their way to America.

Now all you need is a can of good old Russian 7.62x54R ammo (440 Round sealed cans available through Shotgun News for about $60 including S&H) and a handful of stripper clips (about 50 cents each if you shop around).
    Make sure you have some good ear plugs and be prepared to do a good cleaning afterwards since all surplus ammo for Mosin-Nagants is corrosive and burns dirty.

HAVE FUN!!!!

3. Rattlesnakebite,

Enjoy

P.S. Might as well start looking around for a couple 91/30, plus one or two more M-44's. You've just been bitten my the Mosin bug…..

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Mosans Lead to the dark side

Its just begining ... Go a head and commit one or more of your credit cards to the dark side.....In yota aka star wars...speek..Mosans Lead to a C&R FFL 03 ($30)..then lead to more mosans...then turkish Mausers..then CZ-52, then a NAgant Revolver. then a few odds and ends "for your collection" then a few U-Fixems from Centruy Arms...just to see whats up...then a few mosans that you dont have .. Diffrent country or varents... then one day the local news crew shows up talking about how the police raded your house and found over a 100 "Russian SNIPER rifles".....soon you think only in terms of 7.62 x (7.62x54R, 7.62x29, 7.62x25, 7.62 Nagant) and start calling your wife/girlfriend your little Nagant or a M44 when she is breathing fire because you spend the light bill $$ on a few Mosnas you did not have....

Its ok...TAPCO and some other Mosan web sites await....

Oh by the way...take my advice buy a realy nice couch...that is were I seem to spend most of my time :):D :D :D :D :D :D

5. Dog Lips,
    You are 100% right about one Mosin leading to another. Already have the 91/30 picked out. Its only fair to keep the other guns happy in the closet. That way I will have the progression of Russian guns for the last century. 91/30, M44, and the SKS.
    When I told my girlfriend I bought a new toy yesterday she just said "I dont want to hear it" I told her anyway. After all, this is exciting news....at least to some people. She didnt seem impressed at all. Thats hard to believe huh? And about a comfortable couch, thats no problem. Its a hide a bed. The only problem is figuring out who will sleep on it. Me or her.

6. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Snake bit,
    Important safety tip ,Clean All the cosmoline off your new M44 before bed time. It will stain the sheets. also make sure that the Bayonet is in the full closed position.;)

7. Just got back from shooting the new toy. It seems everyone was right. My shoulder hurts like hell and I'm half deaf. Didnt see the muzzle blast at first cause I flinched so bad I must have closed my eyes. After about 20 rounds, I calmed down a bit and started to zero in on the target. It shoots a little to the left. Once I figured out where it was shooting my shoulder was too sore to keep shooting. That steel butt plate aint to good at absorbing recoil. I took a break to let the M44 cool down and shot the SKS. That was like shooting a .22 compared with the Mosin. My shoulder will heal and my hearing will return but will the silly grin always be a part of shooting that shoulder cannon?

8. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

yes, the Grin will never go away. I'm sure if you show your friends, they'll all run out and buy one. If realy want one hell of a kick, shoot a M38 Nagant that's been put in a synthetic stock..OUCH!

If you REALLY wanna see a show, shoot your M44 right as its gettin dusty dark, then at midnight if you wanna make your neighbors really mad.

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The Mosin shoots to the left because most were sighted in with the bayonet extended!

10. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Another victim snagged... welcome! There is no cure for the MN bug. None.

11. Hahahahaha!

Im still wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes...LOL

What do you mean the steel butt plate doesnt absorb much of the recoil of your shoulder cannon? You aint one of them Sissy Mauser Boys are ya? hahaha

Just be careful that people dont start spreading perverse rumors about that silly grin on yer face.

Great idea!............ Mashmallows on the bayonet! LOL

12. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

awright c/k don't be messin' w/my mausers now! my vz-24 will flat tear your arm off if you aren't prepared for it.i don't notice the recoil w/my m-44 as much,but thats probably because i'm more worried about the temporary blindness from the muzzle blast! (spots,i see lots of spots...)

13. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

still liking them Mosin-Nagants Snakebite???

;)

14. Still like em Papa G

This thread is so old I forgot about it. Yup, still like the Mosin. Since posting this thread, I have gotten 4 more!
    Someday soon I want to reload ammo for the Mosin but its so cheap to buy it would take some time to get my investment back.
    Still need a nice M38 though.....:nod: