Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anybody let me know plus's or minus's on reloading my own ammo for my AR-15? I would like to target shoot alot with it, and also I use it for deer hunting. with 64 grain power point ammo 223 I shot a big doe this past gun deer season dead run broadside shot at 70 yards. 1 perfect shot was all it took placed right behind front shoulder mid section. ran ? 40 yards before down for the count. Anyway, I paid $19. for box of 20 count for those. And I can get wolf brand 223 55 grn. fmj for $4. per box of 20 count. What would be plus's or minus's of reloading my own, or would there be any benefit? Cost of reloader, powder, but I can get then whatever bullets I want? Also, does the 5.56 come in sp to be able to use for whitetail deer hunting here in Wisconsin? What are the differences between 223 and 5.56 ammo, ballistics, or whatever? Thanks for the time and input. Semper-Fi ! to my fellow Marines ! OOH-RAH !! Oh, If positive feedback for reloading, some good links to sites to get reloading supplies at lowest cost please.

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
i copied this from a previous thread of mine: .i just bought the lee anniversary kit,with manual and i dont know anything about reloading .i went to the library and through interlibrary loan borrowed a stack of reloading books.since i am only reloading for my 308 for now i copied the sections on that caliber from each book( i cant afford to buy 10 or so different books)that way i ended up with a lot if information for cheap! as you do your homework you will notice that most people will tell you to have a few different manuals.this way between the internet and all those books you will be able to make informed choices. good luck and have fun! bill P.S. get in touch with different powder and bullet manufacturers they will send you load data sheets,sierra and hodgdon are two of the most helpful of any kind of companies ive ever seen!

also you will be able to make very accurate tailor made ammo specifically for your rifle

·
Registered
997 Posts
Is a 223 legal in Wisconsin for big game?

I did roll my own for the AR-15 for speciality shooting competition 300 yards although I was fortunate enough to find cheap factory UMC/FMC which shot almost as good so I don't even bother any more. Price not worth my time, it is so cheap and the shooting is strictly for giggles.

I did take a mule deer in Nevada (legal cal. there) with a 55 grain Nosler Ballistic tip but I would switch to a Nosler Partition now if I had to do it again.

Yes there is a diff with 223 vs 5.56 but I'll let someone with more technical expertise explain that. All I know is 5.56 can generate more pressure in civilian guns not specifically designed to handle it. Saying that I have fired the stuff in my 223 bolt actions and yes I could feel the extra kick.

So many reloading links...here's one:

MidwayUSA - Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gun Parts, Ammunition, Rifle Scopes & Airguns

I have found their site not real user friendly though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info so far guys. Can anyone tell me if they make 5.56 ammo in soft point or something legal for deer hunting? My Ar15 is capable of 5.56 use. Otherwise, since I was using 64 grain power point ammo and shot that nice big adult doe on dead run at 70 yards and only ran 40 yards before it went down for good. What would be the maximum range for this round to shoot at whitetail? Or Should I look at other types of ammo? My shots can range from anywhere up to maybe 100-150 yards although I have mostly shooting ranges at about 50-75 yards due to most hunting in woods. But if I get on edge of woods during walk to or back from stand, could possibly have a shot up to 150 yards. Should I opt to pass, or look at some different ammo brand-bullet type- weight-?

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
A-ok

The 64 gr P/P cartridge is good for game. The 77 gr hollow point is great also. the 5.56 is hotter and impacts a little higher, but it sounds like the shot placement is A-OK. If it is legal for a 2.23 go for it. I swap the caliber in mine to 6.5 Grendel .com. in a new upper for deer, and good to 1000 yds.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,158 Posts
My brother loads for his AR in a high volume capacity. He uses a Dillon progressive, GI brass he finds on the net and pulled mil projectiles. He feels he can keep up with volume and cost at this rate.

I load the 223 on my single stage equipment for my bolt gun. No where near the volume, but I like nice tight little groups and playing with loads.

Always check local regs for hunting. As a side note, I personally would not recommend a HP on any big game. Okay for varmits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could anybody let me know plus's or minus's on reloading my own ammo for my AR-15? I would like to target shoot alot with it, and also I use it for deer hunting. with 64 grain power point ammo 223 I shot a big doe this past gun deer season dead run broadside shot at 70 yards. 1 perfect shot was all it took placed right behind front shoulder mid section. ran ? 40 yards before down for the count. Anyway, I paid $19. for box of 20 count for those. And I can get wolf brand 223 55 grn. fmj for $4. per box of 20 count. What would be plus's or minus's of reloading my own, or would there be any benefit? Cost of reloader, powder, but I can get then whatever bullets I want? Also, does the 5.56 come in sp to be able to use for whitetail deer hunting here in Wisconsin? What are the differences between 223 and 5.56 ammo, ballistics, or whatever? Thanks for the time and input. Semper-Fi ! to my fellow Marines ! OOH-RAH !! Oh, If positive feedback for reloading, some good links to sites to get reloading supplies at lowest cost please.
just figured id let u know. all of the russian brand ammo with the silver casings have a coating on the outside that gums up your gun. thats why it its better to shoot copper even tho its a little more pricy.

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
Check on the use of FMJ bullets for hunting, too. The ricochet possibilities make some DNR types nervous.

Magazine capacity can also be an issue with an AR. Here in Ohio, we can't use centerfire rifles due to the population density, but shotguns are limited to 3 shell capacity, chamber and mag combined.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,933 Posts
5.56X45 surplus will always be FMJ - NOT good for hunting. I load SP bullets into the 5.56 cases - works fine. Case capacity is a bit less than the commercial .223Rem cases, so I keep the loads moderate.
Otherwise, not a lot of difference. Once you set the dies for your rifle's chamber, both cases come out sized the same. But the 5.56 is a bit thicker brass.
My Bushmaster has never tasted the heady tang of steel....... :scool:

·
Registered
433 Posts
At first I was like, wolf for 200, what, where. let me in, but then I realized somebody dug up a thread from 2007:hitwithrock:

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
but if the barrel is chambered for 5.56, you can shoot either.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Good luck finding components though, especially primers.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,933 Posts
My Bushpup eats both equally well. But I did learn to NEVER feed 5.56X45 to a .223Rem Contender!! Gave her a bad case of 'lockjaw'...... :ugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts