close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taurus I'm liking it.

Discussion in 'Taurus' started by dogzebra, Aug 3, 2014.

1. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

I've handled my new "Raging Bull" for a few days. Took it out to the range once. Each time I look at it I think, ''Man that's a big handgun.'' At 3.93 lbs. empty, it's the largest handgun I own.

Later at the range, I broke out my Blackhawk convertible, with some stout .45 Colt loads, to warm up for the experience of shooting this .44 mag Raging Bull. I only had one box of .44 mag that Roger had on a back shelf. At first I thought they were Remington factory loads, but halfway through the box a reload data slip fell out, 240 HDY JHP, 11 Grs. Unique. Previously, I'd been shooting 230 JHPs, on top of 12 Grs. of Unique out of the 4-5/8'' barreled Ruger. While the Ruger was manageable, the Raging Bull felt as though I was plinking with .38s. Weighing so much and having a slick compensator built into it, does keep the muzzle down. Some may complain about the stock grips and its bold red line down the back, but all I know is that they fit my hand nicely and I believe they'll keep the sting at bay while shooting future full house loads.

Another thing I'll say, Taurus had it together when they installed this gun's trigger. It's sweeter than any of my other D/A revolvers.

A box from Midway arrived to my door, bringing a silver scope to push it over the 4 lb. mark, and some much needed reloading supplies to help feed it. I started to install a used Taurus scope mount I got from my LGS guy and found out it was meant for a .454 Casull model with an 8'' barrel. I suppose I could modify it, but I won't. Meanwhile the scope can set in its box till a proper base arrives. Another glitch that cropped up, was that the brass I ordered wasn't meant for metallic reloading, it was meant for theatrical blanks, so I sent that back. I did have 55 rounds of .44s to play with, so I reloaded those up with 2400 and three different bullets. Then I went to the local farm store and bought a box of Winchesters... for a dollar a round? I hope not to let that happen again.

So as it stands, I have 100+ rounds of .44 mag to play with and if I can, with the sweet darling's permission, I'll take the clock with and test my reloads tomorrow.

024.JPG 020.JPG

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      780.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      480.5 KB
      Views:
    GSFixit and rando like this.
  2. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I really like it. That is sweet looking revolver. I have a 357 and 38 in stainless also and are my favorite revolvers. I like how they port them for recoil. I never scoped any of my pistols but that's an idea you gave me. Post some pics of the scoped pistol when you get it all attached.

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My Bull is the .454 Casull. It's heavy enough without a scope on it, and not sure a scope that doesn't cost a whole lot could take the recoil.