Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the forum here, but I figured that it would be a good idea to gather some information/thoughts from folks with more experience than myself.

I am 21 years old, and in college. I have recently fallen hard for the M1 Garand, and I plan on purhcasing one this comming weekend at a local gun show.

I have done research on the rifle, I know what makes it tick, and I am familiar with its internal parts.

What I want more advice on, is how to care for the gun so that it can remain in tip-top shape for a long long time.

I'd like to know information such as :

-What parts of the gun are MOST important to clean after taking the gun out for shooting, other than just the barrel. (I already know how to field strip the gun)

-What parts do I need to keep oiled/ greased. This is the main area I am concerned with, as I really want to keep the gun operating smoothly. And how much oil/grease should I use on these parts?

-Is it important for me to strip down the trigger assembly and gas tube? Or will I be fine with just stripping down the bolt, OP Rod spring, etc..?

- What is the best cleaning kits for the gun? Do boresnakes do the job, or do I need to use something more effective?

Any suggestions or tips are definately what I am looking for. I guess you could say I want to know as much as I can before I take my new toy out for a day at the range.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The less you take down the longer they last. I use a gun snake on the barrel, lube on the bolt areas and plan to take it down farther only once a year or if it acts up(gas piston or trigger assy.) I like bore snakes because they do not mess up your muzzle. However I am not an expert on these as I only have owned a couple for a short time. I am sure you will get answers from people who know much more about these than me. But I do know the more you take something apart the more it wears out faster, thats why all the 45's in the army were bad they took them apart all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. That is actually good to know, because I had planned on breaking it down after every time I took it shooting (or at least the OP Rod and it's connections...)

We also have a Tarus PT 1911, and we were probably breaking that down too much. I think we'll cut back on that one too. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The other gentleman is correct...it is not a good idea to take the barreled action out of the stock often. If you do remove it from the stock wipe down the underside with some lite lube.
As a caution on buying a Garand at a gun show...there are many re-welds out there. Previously destroyed receivers( by cutting in half) have been welded to make a whole receiver. I would ask the seller and would look closely at the receiver. I have seen a couple that almost needed to be die penetrated to see the weld.
Indy

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Okay, if I were you, here is what I would do.

First, I would not buy a Garand at a gun show. With few exceptions, the Garands I see at shows are either CAI/Lithgow junkers, beat up Blue Sky imports, or CMP rackers with anothr $300 added to their price.

To rduce your chances of getting screwed, invest in a gauge to measure muzzle and throat erosion and a copy of Duff's blue book. This will help you avoid a rifle with a sewer-pipe bore and you can check drawing numbers to make sure that SA receiver you are looking at doesn't have a WRA front end.

Depending on your location, I would look the purchase requirements up at www.odcmp.org. Once I had my ducks in a row, I'd drive to the North or South store. Chat with the staff, look at the inventory, and walk out with a nice Service Grade Garand with a good barrel and good wood.

You can also order from CMP via mail with a credit card. It doesn't sound like you will have the patience to wait weeks or months for your Garand.

As far as cleaning it, you really only need to strip it down once when you first buy it to inspect the parts and clean off cosmoline, etc. It's very easy to take apart with little or no tools. You can find detailed instructions at th CMP website, or at surplusrifle.com.

The Garand is a very robust weapon. Field stripping it will not lead to problems. What you need to be concerned with is removing the gas cylinder. This will eventually lead to wear on the splines and and accuracy suffer.

Invest in a coated cleaning rod and you wont have any problems. Only fire nn-corrosive M2 ball ammo and you wont have concerns with corrosion in the barrel and gas system like many milsurp shooters do.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I agree with Dookie, CMP and nothing but surplus M2 Ball ammo. The Garand runs on grease not oil http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/M1GarandRifleGreasePoints.pdf
You do not need to do a complete tear down for every cleaning but everyone should know how to do it. You should do a complete tear down, completely strip the bolt , trigger assembly etc when you get it and then once a year. After you do it once its fairly easy. Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2005) - Surplusrifle.com
You don't "need" any special tools other than your hands and a punch and a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a extension on it to remove and tighten the gas screw
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MVC-003F.jpg

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
I second the CMP as a source its worth every penny oh and you think you have fallen now -- wait for your first one coming in you will get a slight incurable disorder called garanditis that can only be treated with the purchase of more garands.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the responses, they are extremely beneficial to me.

As someone up above mentioned, I really would not like to wait the 60-90 days for the Garand. I have already waited a good 1/2 year learning about it and saving up.

With that in mind, I still realize that CMP is the better option to go with. However, is it a DEFINATE 60 days+ that you are bound to wait? I would also need a CCW since I have no military background. (Or attend a shooting tournament that they recognize)

If I did purchase one from the gun show (not saying I will for sure...) what is 'acceptable' to you guys? I can't imagine that EVERY garand is crap at a show, I held a few that seem to be in fairly good condition.

I am aware (thanks to this forum) that CAI is something I should avoid like the plague. I should also look for re-welds and avoid them. What else should I look for that should tell me to not buy the gun? Again, I will likely not purchase the garand from this show, but there has got to be some exceptions that may be ok to deal with.

Since I am a student, I realize that I will have a lot more cash available to me once I graduate and get into a career. At the moment, I just want a Garand that will shoot well for me for the 1-2 times a month that I go out. (Nice way to relieve stress)

On a final note, what 'bad' things can happen if you do have a garand w/ a re-welded barrel? Are you doomed to watching it fall apart after a while, or does the accuracy become greatly effected? Am I truly S.O.L. with a lower-quality gun (for the time being until I can purchase more), or can I get by with garand that will shoot?

Will CMP still be selling garands for the next 4-5 years?

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Most important not to put in your Garand

DO NOT PUT HOT, HIGH POWER, HIGH VELOCITY
AMMUNITION IN YOUR GARAND.

YOU WILL BEND THE OPERATING ROD.

THIS GUN IS MEANT FOR THE ORIGINAL POWER
AND BULLET WEIGHT OF THE MILITARY ROUND.

That said, it can be a pleasure to own and shoot
a Garand.

The Garand is a true combat rifle so do not get
into frequent disassembly as this is neither
needed nor is it beneficial to the lifespan of the
rifle. Yes, if you are in combat and go through
mud and snow you need to disassemble. Otherwise,
routine (reasearch this matter through the literature)
care of the bore and safekeeping in good
gun case goes a very long way. Also, do not
pour oil into the action - again, go with conservative
lubrication. With proper care your Garand should
last as long as you last and that could be a long time.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
No not all gun show Garands are bad, you just need to know hat to look for or will will pay to much, get a worn out warhorse, or a welded reciver. Since you are new to the Garand scene go with CMP. (Patiences is a virtue) You will probably get a better condition Garand for less than at a gunshow. If you have any problemsCMP will make it right. Try to get that customer service at a gunshow. Get atleast a Field Grade or a Service Grade or better if you can afford it. CMP will ship dircetly to you ,no FFL. If you took a hunting safety training course with live firethat fullfills the live arms fire portion or go to your local range and have the range officer sign off for you. Then join the Garand Collectors Assoc. andyou are set. May seem like alot to go through but it is very simple compared to all the benifits
If you decide to buy at a gunshow you had better find someoen that knows Garands to go with you
As I stated before only M2 Ball noncorrosive surplus ammo, CMP also sells this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to look into CMP some more. I'll scan over the garands this weekend, but based on what I'm hearing here, CMP is my best move.

I guess I may have to just wait. As much as I really want to go shooting w/ my friends right now, I may find it easier to just hang back.

Btw, I have already started to stock up on the BALL non-corrosive ammo. 3 local gun stores are carrying the exact same ammo that is on the CMP site, so that was pretty encouraging.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
best one stop shop for info on caring for an M1 rifle is the M1 owners guide by scott duff. first and foremost, M1's get greased notoiled. secondly the advice to not remove the gas cylinder from the barrel is spot on. 3rd, the more times you remove the barreled action from the stock, the looser the fit, hence poorer accuracy. you can clean and lubricate 90% of the rifle without removing it from its stock. my NM M1 gets removed from its stock every 1500rnds whether it needs it or not. a standard M1 could probably use it every 500-750rnds. there are alot of folks out there that own and shoot M1's that do not know how to properly care for the rifle, that is why i recommend scott duff's book.:burnout:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, what type of grease should I purchase for the Garand? And is there any special device used to apply the grease? Or do I just take my finger and swab it on?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Lubriplate or the white, heavy duty grease from the auto parts store. You finger works as well as anything.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I will put in another vote for the CMP. Check it out! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts