close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Improving Accuracy and Reliability

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Aug 9, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Well, my Centurion 99 G3, which used to go bang absolutely every single time with the right ammo, doesn't always dent the primers. I've tried cleaning and lubricating the trigger group, doesn't seem to help. Some of the ammo is a little dirty, and I thought maybe it gave so much resistance loading that the bolt didn't close completely, in which case I'm darn glad the pin didn't hit the primer. Well all the dirty Chilean 7,62mm Cartuchos de Guerra are gone, and now I only have European stuff with shiny cases, so maybe it'll clear up. If not, would it need a new firing pin spring?

And now about accuracy: My groups have been expanding, not shrinking. Probably just me getting tired and impatiently forgetting to let the barrel cool for a minute or two, but are there any ways to specifically improve the G3's accuracy? Specific handloads? I use Winchester match, a Tasco 3-9x40mm, and a sandbag. It once gave me roughly 1moa. I'd like to do better. Of course I'm probably the part of the equation that needs the most improvement.

2. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Do you clean the barrel after every shooting session ? Clean it till no more blue / green copper stains appear on the patch ?

Wyr
    God Bless

3. BattleRifleG3

Never gotten blue/green copper stains. I do generally clean it after every use.

4. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Do you use a copper remover bore cleaner ?

Is something loose , messing up accuracy ? Like the hand guard or handguard screw ?

Wyr
    God Bless

5. BattleRifleG3

Which cleaners are specifically for copper? And yes, the handguard is loose. Any ideas of how to fix it?

6. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult::assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:
    Try Copper Cutter From Kleen Bore
    :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

7. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Only thing I know to tighten the HG is tighten the screw ? :-(

Hoppies # 9 is a mild copper cleaner ( takes a long time ) .

All of the ones that smell of ammonia should disolve copper . I use Shooters Choice copper remover . ( Also kills corrosive salts . )

Follow directions , this stuff is aggressive .

Wyr
    God Bless

8. BattleRifleG3

Tighten the screw? What screw? All I have is a pin.

9. 50 BMG

50 BMG G&G Newbie

I would be happy with 1 MOA out of a G3 look-alike or even a real G3/HK 91 for that matter. Remember, these are battle rifles not sniper rifles. The accuracy standard for even the M-16 is only about 3 MOA I believe... For European models like the G3 it is in the same ballpark...

10. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

My experience is with a CETME & it has a HG screw . If yours is a G3 or different , then I do not know .

Best of luck .

By the way , my CETME may have a chrome lined barrel , it seems easy to clean & very little copper fouling .

Wyr
    God Bless

11. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

boy am I showing my age the MOA for the m-16 a1 is 5