close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

In defense of Bush

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Eric, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Have you noticed a difference in the salute given by our military men and women as President Bush walks by? Most folks would not notice anything, but military people see it right away. Watch: When President Bush leaves his helicopter or Air Force One, the honor guards salute and face him as he disembarks, then turn their faces towards him as he passes by. They continue to salute his back as he walks away. This kind of salute has not been seen in the previous eight years, though it is customary courtesy to the Commander-in-Chief. You see, soldiers aren't required to turn and face the President as they salute. They are not required to salute his back. They are only required to salute. They can remain face-forward the entire time.

And that is what they did during Bill Clinton's entire Presidency. Our soldiers were forced to obey Clinton's orders, but they were not forced to respect him. From their salutes, we can surmise that they did not.

Why is such respect afforded to President Bush? He doesn't even know how to bite his lower lip and not get teary-eyed whenever he speaks!

The following incident from Major General Van Antwerp may give us an insight. Gen. Antwerp is president of the Officers' Christian fellowship. He lost nearly all his staff when the Pentagon was attacked Sept. 11. His executive officer LTC Brian Birdwell was badly burned and in the hospital when President Bush visited him. Our President spent time and prayed with Brian. As he was getting ready to leave, he went to the foot of Brian's bed and saluted. He held his salute until Brian was able to raise his burned and bandaged arm, ever so slowly, in return. The Commander-in-Chief never initiates a salute, except in the case of a Congressional Medal of Honor
    winner. The injured soldier did not have to return the salute. But he did, out of respect to his President -a Soldiers' President.
    > > >
    Congressman JC Watts (R. Oklahoma) said, "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking." The nation and world learned some of what our last President did when nobody was looking. That President has been disbarred this week -- the worst disgrace (other than imprisonment) to a lawyer. CNN will have a difficult time shining his or his wife's tarnished images.

In this time of war and danger, I am so grateful to have a President whom the soldiers salute --fully.

On Special Report with Brit Hume, (hosted by Jim Angle this evening), at the close of the show when they normally have some funny video clip, they showed President Bush and the First Lady on their way to Maine to leave for Camp David for the weekend. As the video starts, the First Lady is leading the way into the helicopter with the spaniel dog on the leash, and the president is right behind her with the Scotty on the leash. As the First Lady entered the chopper, the Marine at the gangway saluted and held his salute. The Scottie the president was walking decided it wanted to sit right when he got to the steps. The president pulled on its leash, but the stubborn Scottie persisted in sitting. The president bent down and scooped up the pooch and entered Marine One. After he entered, the Marine cut his salute and
    returned to the position of attention. Moments later the president reemerged from the helicopter and out onto the steps. The Marine was standing at attention, head and eyes straight ahead. The president leaned over and tapped him on the left arm. The startled Marine turned his body toward the president and received his returned salute! I was so impressed by this true act of respect for our military people by our president! He really does get it. Most any other person of his stature would have just continued his journey, disregarding the neglected return salute. Not George W. Bush. He is earning the respect of the military community, not expecting it -- as most have and would.
    > > >
    President George W. Bush. The man who admitted to having a drinking problem in younger years, and whose happy-go-lucky lifestyle led him to mediocre grades in college and an ill-fated oil venture. Who mangled syntax, and whose speaking mis-steps became known as "Bushisms."
    > > >
    He came within a hair's breadth of losing the election in November. While votes were counted and re-counted, Bush quietly but confidently waited at his ranch. Make no mistake, his orders were carried out, but he stayed in the background, faithful and confident. Bush named Jesus Christ as Lord of his life on public TV. Not an Oblique reference to being "born-again" or having a "life change." He actually said the un-PC-like phrase, "Jesus Christ!"
    > > >
    On September 11, he was thrust into a position only known by Roosevelt, Churchill, Lincoln, and Washington. The weight of the world was on his shoulders, and the responsibility of a generation was on his soul. So President George W. Bush walked to his seat at the front of the National Cathedral just three days after two of the most impressive symbols of American capitalism and prosperity virtually evaporated.
    > > >
    When the history of this time is written, it will be acknowledged by friend and foe alike that President George W. Bush came of age in that cathedral and lifted a nation off its knees. In what was one of the most impressive exhibitions of self-control in presidential history, President George W. Bush was able to deliver his remarks without losing his resolve, focus, or confidence.
    > > >
    God's hand, which guided him through that sliver-thin election, now rested fully on him. As he walked back to his seat, the camera angle was appropriate. He was virtually alone in the scene, alone in that massive place with God, just him and the Lord.
    > > >
    Back at his seat, George H. Bush reached over and took his son's hand. In that gesture his father seemed to say, "I wish I could do this for you, son, but I can't. You have to do this on your own. President George W. Bush squeezed back and gave him a look of peace that said, "I don't have to do it alone, Dad. I've got Help". What a blessing to have a professing Christian as President.

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Eric,I do have to agree with you,I think G.W. is a fine man and does really care about people. I'm just not too crazy about where our country is headed. We are losing our God given rights,and too many "sheeple" are just fine with it.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Thanks for the great article on Bush. Active duty was rough when there was a respect issue with the commander & chief. I like GW but still have a gtreat deal of respect for Ron Reagan.

4. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Seems like he's trying just a little too hard to find a way to save us from our faceless fears, to the point where he's willing to give up our personal liberties. His good intentions are paving a wide path for us to follow.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Dubya is still da man in my book. He is still feeling his way on how to prptect us and not step on our toes and liberties. He'll find his way.

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I hope you're right on this, NRAJoe. We cannot afford to lose any more freedoms than we already have. I like President Bush, and realize this is not all of his doing, but I wish someone in the White House would say, "Hey! Our people are losing their freedoms and respect. Let's empower the people again, like it should be." Unforunately, it's a matter of us versus them now.....

7. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

He needs to show the same respect to all Americans. We are losing freedoms everyday. You have to question authority ALWAYS! no matter who's in office. I like him alot better than the last one, but still have to keep a careful eye out.

No matter who the man is, the position of President can make a man drunk with power. I think GW is getting alittle tippsy!!!

Veep Cheney is definately drunk, falling down drunk, but he has been that way for years.
    GW is alright, but watch him closely.

Always question authority!!! or the authorities willbe questioning you for no reason at all.

8. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

I thank you,Eric,for that posting.It reminded me what a good man we have leading us,I was starting to forget what with all the criticism he has recieved lately.it also took a lot of courage to declair Jusus Christ as his Lord on public TV.Clinton's public TV was to play his sax on MTV.
    I think our present leader is the first real man we have had in the white house in quite a while and I am Proud to be an American,prouder than I have been in a long time.
    I think we will make it in spite of all our challenges!
    Keep the faith!:nod: :nod: :nod: :D

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

10. Artillius6918

Artillius6918 G&G Newbie

Fla.
    Well guys, you may change your tune when you see the news! Seems that our head of homeland security (read: Reno clone), with Bush's blessing, plans to use our military troops to enforce the laws of the land! Gee, what do suppose he means? I was so pleased that Bush was elected over those other two traitors! I was pleased when Ashcroft got the position. But, Ashcroft, and now Ridge, scare the dickin's out of me! Could it be that the anti-Christ was not Algore?

11. GARY D

GARY D G&G Newbie

Gore is worse than useless but now I'm getting concerend about Bush. I was jumping for joy when he got elected and appointed Ashcroft and Powell but both of those two are showing some scary signs. Bush is definitely showing his liberal side with all this new homeland security crap. Remember he appointed Magaw and Meneta. :throwup:

12. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

Remember people we are at war, in ww2 lots of freedoms were suppresed, remember this is war, and we need to rally behind our president no matter what you think of him, we are at war!God bless GW Bush and God bless America

13. Artillius6918

Artillius6918 G&G Newbie

Fla.
    Gary D and 7MMMag, First Gary D, Thank you for sharing my fear! Remember the quote that goes something like, those who will give up liberty for security (or was it safety) deserve niether one! Once our freedoms are lost, they will never be restored! You people should be the ones who are knowlegeable on this simple fact. I am scared to death when they are talking about this. When I played GI Joe (1970), I had guys wetting the bed and crying for thier Mommies! It has got to be worse now with all the liberal crap that our youth have been trained in. Can you imagine these kids enforceing law? And since when ( yeah, I do remember Waco), have troops been law enforcement? Don't forget that it was not so long ago that police were law men. Now they call themselves law enforcement! Do any of you people see that there is a difference? The courts enforce the law, not the police! The police are supposed to be peace keepers, now they are, for the most part, jack booted thugs! Road side check points....Bull -
    -hit!!!!! That is nothing less than a fourth amendment suspension! Period!!!!! Oh, but, we need to get that drunk driver. Is the main cry from the sheeple. Well, I would rather have my freedom before worring about a guy who drank a beer on the way home from a hard day's work!!! Or maybe, a guy who had a drink after dinner at the resaurant, who has just taken his family out for thier weekly night out since that was all he could afford after paying "his fair share" to keep the beast fat off our very hard work! That is just one example of the things and trends that scare me. Seems like nobody cares about the hard fought for liberties that we, as a free (?) nation have. 7MMMag, I share your words about jumping for joy when Bush was elected. I, too jumped, I, too jumped when he sent that evil, yes, evil, pack of UN scum packing with thier small arms ban. But, he had no choice as we, the "gun culture" made it possible for him to be where he is. But, now, as he and his cronnies, turn thier eyes on our freedoms, i grow encreaseingly more fearful. I have even fired of a letter to the republican party and our local republican party. I have asked them why they are attacking our cival rights and I have asked them why they don't just do what they promised us. Could it be that there is not one nickles' worth of difference between the repubs and dems.? Are they just the same 'ole same? I know that I, and the rest of you, have no choice but to vote repub. Since, the repubs., until recently, appeared to be the l;esser of the two evils. But, as time goes by, that distinction grows more and more tiny. What are we going to do? When we are like many other countries? I guess I better learn to call everyone commrad!

14. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

As long as he keeps his war over there. We ain't in Israel, we don't need the military everywhere. We ain't getting bombed everyday and it really seems like the threat here is overblown. Never totally beleive the gummit - they never tell the truth. We need to support the COUNTRY not a president - he only gets 8 years tops, if he's lucky - the COUNTRY will always be here - or maybe not if we don't keep our "leaders" in check!!! I hate the two party system - they have a monopoly and that needs to change - vote other parties - the repubs and dems are cut from the same cloth!