Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After foaming at the mouth over a near-mint Winchester Model 70 for $599 with what the seller listed as a 1955 serial number, it sold between my first call and my follow-up call the next day to buy it. There was an error in the ad showing the seller's SKU# as the SN. I was feeling a bit stupid for not recognizing it as a contemporary model but also felt a little deflated having missed out on it, as it was still a really nice rifle.

As they say, when one door closes another one opens!

I had been glancing at an ad for a J.P. Sauer and Sons 30.06 on and off for the past 4 months. I contacted the big-box seller twice and both times was told it was sold and they hadn't gotten around to taking the ad down. I keep a file of active links I call "Guns of Interest" when something piques my interest and for some reason I didn't delete the link when it sold like I usually do. Maybe it was Karma at work? After the Winchester debacle, something told me to click the saved link to the J.P. Sauer ad. The ad came up and I hit refresh and Wham! The ad was still active and reflected a $400 price reduction! I called the store and sure enough, they still had it, a brand new floor model for $999. Apparently the last guy I spoke with was too lazy/busy to look for the gun and blew me off saying it had sold.

I am a sucker for pretty guns and this one was just too nice to pass up, especially at that price. I know they don't get a lot of love due to the friction-welded barrel/receiver connection and the bolt lugs machined in the barrel (can't re-barrel one of these!). Well, the rifle will outlive me anyway and Sauer guarantees 5 shot -1MOA accuracy with factory ammo. The gun has that old world craftmanship look going on despite the high-tech construction so I'm in. Should arrive in week or so.

Seller's pics:

Like the Foreigner song goes " I've been waiting ... for a girl like you, to come into my life!" lol.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I’ve never laid hands on one, but that should be a heck of a rifle. Funny how things work out sometimes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update ... so much for Karma and cosmic intervention and all that. Rifle arrived at the local Cabela's and before doing the paperwork, the clerk pulled it out of the box for me to final inspect. I was underwhelmed by the rifle and disappointed in its actual condition compared to the in-hand description and pics from the other store I purchased it from online.

Staring with the metal, the Sauer has an almost stainless steel gray look to their blueing. Not a problem as I knew that going in. Unfortunately, there was a wear spot on the barrel from resting in the rack that showed like a bright silver band across the barrel.

The stock was dull and lifeless looking compared to the pics, almost taking the appearance of cheap birch kitchen cabinets sprayed with a translucent toner rather than the oil finished and exaggerated grain I was expecting from the pics. I flipped the gun over from the bolt side to the "plain" side and the entire side of stock below the receiver was marked up with with deep scratches, presumably from being scraped against the bolt handle of the rifle next to it on display. I looked closer and the finish didn't look right in that area. I flipped the rifle over and noted a line of drip marks along the trigger guard and floor plate that had overflowed onto the metal. The stock had evidently been sloppily touched up with some Tru-Oil at some point and was further scraped and scratched up on top of the refinished area.

I know that I may be called a nit-picker by some, but the issues with the rifle were not disclosed other than the statement "if you look really close you may find a light handling mark or two somewhere but it is really in like-new condition". I showed the clerk the issues and told him I have never backed out of a purchase from Cabelas before so this is a first. They refunded my purchase price no questions asked and were really good about it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, too much money for a banged up rifle.

I glanced through the used rifles while I was there and a really nice Kimber in 30.06 did catch my eye. Hmmm.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, I'm happy with the outcome. Tonight, I purchased that Kimber 30.06 I eyed casually after the Sauer deal went sour. It is a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Commemorative Model 84L. Here is the info:

"Christened the “Elk Country Classic,” the first 475 Model 84L rifles are chambered in .30-06 Sprfld. and will be available only at RMEF fundraisers beginning early in 2010."

"This sleek bolt action sporter weighs just 6 pounds, 2 ounces, and balances like a fine shotgun. Kimber upgraded the stock with specially selected AA-grade French walnut streaked with bold, rich grain. Each stock has hand-cut 20 lines-per-inch checkering, a hand-rubbed oil finish and is tipped in ebony. Special markings include an engraved floorplate with gold accents, engraved bolt handle and serial number that reflects the edition sequence. The rifle is elegant from every angle, but not flashy or overdone."

So basically, these were made in limited numbers and raffled off at Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation fund-raisers.

When I glanced at it in passing, I recognized it as a Kimber and thought it was different because of the fore-end tip not typically found on the Model 84. I got home and thought "I better go back and take a good look at that one." Glad I did. I'd be surprised if it has shot more than 20 rounds as it is absolutely like new. I will pick it up after the 72 Hr. waiting period. $250 cheaper than the Sauer too.

Mine looks exactly like the one in the picture here:

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Nice lookin rifle; smooth, clean lines.

However, a range report is mandatory!!LOL!!;)

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Was shocked to hear about the Sauer. I would have done the same. Think you will be much happier with this. Often centerfire rifles not used very much so I like to look for the used stuff myself more these days. Gotta make yourself happy when spending good money.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I spoke to the guy running the Gun Library Room at Cabela's about the Kimber and mentioned the condition issue on the Sauer. He asked what store it shipped from and rolled his eyes when I told him He said "I'm really not surprised. We've had a number of used gun returns as a result of their overstatement of condition."

I mentioned they must be pretty careless to bang a new rifle up like they did just removing it from the rack now and again to show it to a customer. He told me an interesting tid-bit. " We have to empty all the racks at night and store them all in the vault in back, so they get handled a lot. We have about half an hour to move them all so you have to pile them in a shopping cart and wheel them to the back. If you're with a customer just before closing, it can be a mad dash to get them all put away. Honestly, the gang down there is none too careful with the guns either."

It kind of validated my whole experience with that store including being blown off twice and told the gun was sold.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Ahh the truth comes out. All those guns being banged around in a shopping cart!! No small wonder they get banged up. They ain't all synthetic stock jobs. Still many of us out there like yourself that really appreciate finely crafted guns.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts