Indiana - Obliterating Handgun Markings???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Joshua M. Smith, May 2, 2008.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith G&G Enthusiast

Hey All,

I was browsing Indiana criminal code and found this:

The way this reads, in the strictest sense, is that if I want to swap the slide on my CD due to a screwed up factory milling job on the front sight dovetail, or because I don't like the Charles Daly signature, or whatever, I can't.

The serial number I understand, but the rest, well, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Does anyone have any experience with this statute or any similar statutes?

What's the deal?

Thank you,

Josh <><

2. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just me thinking out loud. It doesnt say you cant replace it. I mean, if you had a broken part like the slide you mentioned and you replaced it with a new factory slide, wouldnt that still have the CD markings on it?

You arnt getting rid of the markings if anything, you are repairing them with new ones of the same details. I would think that would not fall under the change or alter part, but then again who knows.

That to me would mean that if a part breaks on your gun you arnt allowed to fix it.
    Im sure the police armorers do it all the time when they fix stuff. And I dont see any exceptions for that law for anyone including for law enforcement either.

But either way Id would ask an FFL or the firearms section of state police in Indiana to be sure.

3. Joshua M. Smith

Actually I was thinking about fitting a new slide from Brownell's.

From what I'm gathering, this law probably refers to the frame only, as that is the pistol in the eyes of the law. However, I'd very much like to find something to back that up... I don't want to be the test case!

Thanks,

Josh <><

4. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I wouldn't read it that way at all (i.e. that it's illegal to replace parts of your pistol to fix them up, etc). I believe the law was designed for those who would attempt to file off serial numbers and the like--which I believe violates a host of federal laws too. Not for honest folks fixing up their pistols. You're not altering, you're replacing the slide and all the manufacturer's details are staying put as intended.

If you look hard enough for why you can't do something worthwhile, you can probably find it. This isn't the most productive way to spend time though :).

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

What that law means is you cant remove any markings used to register the firearm.If you changed the frame,it would have to be re-registered or re-stamped.There is nothing in Indiana law forbidding changing slides or any other part other than the frame where the serial/identification number is. sam.

6. Marine1

Marine1 Guest

7. i think it means if you remove or file off the code on the gun

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Samuel is Right...The Slide is NOT the RECEIVER... The Receiver is the Gun and is serial numbered which allows for ID. Actually, you can Change everything except the Legal Serial Number by FEDERAL LAW...Including Model and Custom name...
    Notice the last line "Except as provided By U.S. Statute"...
    Rich

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

10. exactly

i heard in europe though that the barrel is considered the gun, not the receiver

(not sure though, if someone has info on it let me know)

11. Joshua M. Smith

Yup, I have two such rifles: A Mosin M44 and a Romanian M69 trainer (though that one has the S/N stamped all over, so it may be on the receiver too. I'd have to check.)

The question I have with these surplus guns is this: What would happen if you removed the barrel from the receiver? You'd now have a receiver with no S/N on it...

I don't plan on doing any such thing as I'm happy with them how they are, but it's interesting to think about.

Josh <><

12. Remember Sodom & Gamorra!

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Any firearm,even guns from abroad,the only identification recognized in the U.S. is on the receiver/frame which may include trigger guard/grip. sam.