info needed!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by kirkcdl, Jun 19, 2002.

1. kirkcdl

kirkcdl Guest

I just bought a strange version of an M1 carbine.I do realize it probably isn't a WWII collectible,but I have found information on this gun to be VERY scarce!The stock is wood,as is the handguard.There are 2 pistolgrips,front and rear,and a retractable wire buttstock.The gun itself has NO manufacturer markings that I could find.The only markings are the words"US Carbine-cal 30 M1"on the top of the barrel.There is also a number"19"stamped on the left side of the receiver,it appears to be a hand stamping as the numbers are not exactly aligned,and their depth varies slightly.Aside from the ser # in the usual place,there are no other markings whatsoever on this weapon.Is anyone familiar with this setup?Thanks in advance for any and all responses...:confused: :confused:

2. wes

wes Guest

Did you look under the rear sight,at the back? If it's GI the ser# and manufacturer should be there. I have seen the stocks that slide in and out,but not with two pistol grips. Also,look just behind the front sight on the barrel and see if there are any markings.

3. Eric

Eric Guest

Kirk,
    You are now the proud owner of a 'Plainfield Machine Company Carbine". They were a bit popular in the mid to late 1970's and used ones at Gun Shows sold for $100 to $125. It will accept the USGI mags. Congratulations! Good Shooting.

4. kirkcdl

kirkcdl Guest

Thanks Eric,do you have a source for your info?I'd like to learn as much aspossible about this gun.Thanks

5. Eric

Eric Guest

Kirk,
    During the 70's, besides USGI, M1 Carbines were manufactured by National Ordnance, Universal (which incuded the Enforcer), and Plainfield Machine Company. I don't know exactly when Iver Johnson started production.

All the info I have on that particular Carbine you can tell by looking at it, except maybe that it has a six-groove barrel.

I have Gun Digest, and Shooter's Bibles for every year back to the mid 60's. I got your info out of a 1977 Gun Digest. See, you don't have to be smart...just know where to look. Good Shooting!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  6. wes

wes Guest

I didn't know Plainfield made one of those. I used to have a Plainfield carbine,and it was a fine rifle,don't remember it ever jamming.