Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to a gun show in Lakeland Florida this Saturday and am going to get an AKM.
I am looking for one with a threaded barrel and wood furniture but don't want to spend over $500.00 on one.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what model to get?
Also,does anyone have experiance with Bulgarian polymere 30 rd mags?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.:feedback:

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
find the one you like and buy it!!!!they all good!! they all go bang!!!!people say the wasr10 are not as good as the sar1's but my wasr10 puts my sar1 down . look at the trigger some already come with the tapco trigger groups if so the trigger will have tapco writen on the side of it.better buy what you can now before they ban them and you wish you had bought atleast one.lol

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I like the Yugo M70 AK's. You may be a little over $500 with tax, but they are way better than the WASR rifles (my opinion after owning both). The only drawback they have is the lack of a scope rail on the side. I suppose a good gunsmith could likely put one on there if that were important to you. I do agree with getting the tapco G2 trigger - most of the AK's are coming with those now. Great AK trigger. I like the metal mags personally, but I have not heard anything bad about the polymer mags. The Chinese drums are pretty cool.

·
Registered
442 Posts
+1 for the yugos. Fine weapons. However, you can't go wrong with any AK.

·
Registered
198 Posts
+1 for the yugo's. Although the barrels aren't chromed lined, they are built like a tank! Alot of rifle for the money.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some good info here,thanks.Tapco right on the side of the trigger,very interesting!
Perhaps I can get a used AK or one from someone trying to get a few bucks,but still need to know what is good.
I appreciate you're help.:)

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
yes so for my amd and my wasr10 came with the tapco trigger group my sar1 has the old finger slap trigger.

Some good info here,thanks.Tapco right on the side of the trigger,very interesting!
Perhaps I can get a used AK or one from someone trying to get a few bucks,but still need to know what is good.
I appreciate you're help.:)

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Wish I was going with ya to the Lakeland Gun Show...That is one awesome show and I havent been there since I left Bartow in 1984. I spent 2 days there and don't think I saw all the guns on display...it do get crowded !
Rich

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes indeed,especially when they open both sides,
If you ever get out Tulsa OK way,try to time it to the Wannamaker gun show,literally thousands of tables,acres of guns all a/c in one room,can't see the end of it!
However you don't see a lot of AK/AR type guns,mostly older styles.
My experiances with AK's is from the pre-ban times,not up with the new Americanized ones,I think the new ones are better.
Thanks again for the info.:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good luck at the gun show, I haven't seen a single bargain at the last four or five I've been too in my area. Those old boys are sure proud of their collections anymore. I only go there with high hopes of finding mags, or hard-to-find parts anymore.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck at the gun show, I haven't seen a single bargain at the last four or five I've been too in my area. Those old boys are sure proud of their collections anymore. I only go there with high hopes of finding mags, or hard-to-find parts anymore.
I hear ya' man,the specter of more bans may be responsible for some of the high prices,then again some folks are greedy to the point of takeing those guns home again and again.
However I have found that the green makes many come to their senses.
Hold out a hand full of hundreds and ask what is the lowest price they will give you out the door.Works better with those that aren't ffl dealers,which I don't deal with anyway.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Acres of Guns...I Done died and gone to Heaven !!!
Yup,that's the feeling I get too.
As you may notice from my signature,I have a big interest in Switchblade knives also.
Usually in February the Gator Cutlery Club has a huge knife show at the Lakeland center,thousands of switchblades,WOW!
The day after Thanksgiving the wife and I are going to Tennessee andsee,among other things,the "Greatest Knife Show on Earth."
The Parker knife show at the Grand Hotel in Pigeon Forge Tn.Not as many autos,mostly Case collections,but still some really good deals on knives including autos.For example,they were selling the Boker Kalashnikov autos for $25.00 and then other dealers would give you $5.00 for the box.
Any how,again,thanks for the info,it IS appreciated!:)

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Back from the show,only half the place was open,one side,hummmm.
Did manage to get an AK,from an ffl dealer,had to do the background check thing,hummmm.
Got it for $425.00 out the door.
It's a GP WASR-10 with laminated stock. black plastic pistol grip,bayonet lug,slant muzzle brake,black plastic handguard,and Tapco trigger.
Gonna replace plastic handguard with wood and stain and refinish all furniture Bomby Mahogany,a dark red like you used to see on the old AK's.
It also came with accessories,bayonet,two 30 rd mags,cleaning kit,bayonet frog,Mag pouch,and oil bottle,plus owners manual.
Mags go in a little rough,kinda touchey,gonna have to clean uop the milling a bit,nice tight fit now.
Will get back with the on-going saga,hummmm.:)

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
True,true,usually both sides are open,and occassionally they open a third large room,but not often.
Yeah,I was dissappointed,but you never know.
My bro was with me and was counting on getting cash from the ATM,which didn't work,bummer,as a gentleman in line had just what he was looking for,a Springfield Armory XD .45 plus mags and accessories,like new asking $450.00.
Curses!:sad:

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hummmm,it seems that the rough mag insertions is not the milling but the lack of the dimples further inside the mag well,it also seems that instead of just cramming the mag in and rocking it back to lock the mag catch I must carefully insert the mag in so far then rock it back,practice is helping,but it is possible that I just got in imperfect gun.
Other than that it seems happy although I haven't shot it yet.:werd:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts