close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Info.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jesse, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Something I wanted to ask members of this forum... I have an International Harvester Garand that has 7.62 in white letters on the barrel. It has a Springfield stamp on the barrel also. The wood is in VG-EXC. condition and it has a white plastic spacer in the magazine. It came with a cone shaped flash hider that attaches to the bayonet lug as well as a leather cheekpiece. I see no mounts for a scope.

What do I have, and do I need to hold onto this Garand as a shooter or a collection piece. I paid $600.00 for it 2 yrs. ago.

Thanks,

Jesse

2. Jeremy2171

Jeremy2171 G&G Newbie

You have a rifle that was assembled from a Pakistani M1 that was broken down so it could be imported. Once in the States it was reassembled on a GI reciever.

This 7.62 conversion was done using a chamber insert in a .30-06 barrel. The insert "may" come out, they have in the past and will probably keep on doing so for years to come.

Do not try and remove the insert and use .30-06 in it as the chamber has been opened up to accept the spacer.

It's probably ok to shoot after you have it checked out, but be aware if that insert comes out you will probably need a new barrel. It would be easier than trying to replace an insert.

Regards,
    Jeremy

3. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

No insert present... I've checked that. It seems to be a true Springfield barrel in 7.62 NATO. I'm at a loss...

Jesse

4. Jeremy2171

Jeremy2171 G&G Newbie

What all markings are on the barrel? Give me anything you see when you pull the oprod back and look on the chamber area.

Jeremy

5. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday G&G Newbie

SA made more 7.62 barrels then what was used by the Navy. I have sold some in the past. It is likely you have a rifle that someone installed one of these barrels on. You can not go wrong letting a good gunsmith take a look and check the head space. Doc