Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I inherited a Marlin Lever Action Rifle and I have a few questions about it. The rifle says The Marlin Rifle Firearms Co. NEW HAVEN, CONN U.S.A. EST 1870-MICRO GROOVE BARREL-MOD 336-R.C. CAL .35 REM. S/N AD##### (Not sure if I should be posting the complete serial number). It has the initials JM on the trigger and right side of the barrel. The trigger appears to be a gold tone color.

I am looking for an idea of how old the rifle is and what is the difference between the 336 models. I have heard of A/W/C/RC models. I would also like some overall thoughts on the rifle. Is she good for target shooting, hunting (if so what size game) or should she just go on display.

If you require any additional information, just ask. I really don’t know what else to provide. I have never gone hunting, but my brother in-law is trying to talk me into it. If so, is this a good rifle for hunting? Should I put a scope on her? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Look at the first two numbers of your serial number that is the date of manufacture. so if it starts 75xxx then it was made in 75. The RC is a great gun solid made.

Great caliber for deer and black bear at close range. Although not a tack driver I got pretty respectable hunting accuracy out of mine. I loved mine and kinda regret selling it.

Differences in models is cosmetic. Same great action. Same great gun.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Big Hog,
You've just inherited one of the best woods deer and black bear rifles ever built. And, better yet, because of the new LeverEvolution ammo, it's gotten even better. I own and have owned a BUNCH of deer rifles and there is no way any serious hunter could tell you that a .35 is not among the BEST 200 yard (with LE ammo) deer rifles around. The Marlin lever platform is a great rifle and a very good handling rifle as well. My suggestion.... spend $200. on a Leupold 1-4x20 XVI with heavy duplex reticle and know that the combo you are hunting with is difficult to beat...at any price. Congrats!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own 4 marlin 336's and love em all. Shoot cast bullets in my two with regular rifling. One is a 32 win special and one is a 30-30. My two "newer" ones with micro-groove rifling I shoot with Hornady's leverevolution gummy tips. Both my 35 rem and 30-30-wear simmons pro-diamond 1.5x5x20mm scopes. Both like the gummy tips on paper. Have not made meat yet with gummy tips but plan to try. My 35 smacks whitetails really hard with remington 200 gr core-lokts on top of either AA2460 or Reloder 12. I know you'll like it very much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts