Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys and gals. Haven't fiered it yet

Initial fit and finish is excellent. BTW I'm basing my past experience on the Norinco I had for 14 years, dosen't make it right or wrong, but different.

There is no side to side play in the slide to frame fit. The Norinco had some, not a bad thing probably would function if very very dirty.

No machining marks on the inside. The Norinco had some pretty rough tooling marks. I still think the Norinco had superior metal quality though. After a little polishing and alot of use the norinco was smooth as glass on the slide to frame.

The jury is still out on the series II safety on the Kimber. I took the slide off first time (didn't read book, hey I'm a guy) I was pressing the grip safety actuating the firing pin safety which don't let the slide move forward completely off the frame.

I took the firing pin out. You need 3 hands. When I got it to the point of removal, the spring, 20 times stronger than the one in my Norinco went about 20 ft. Good thing, the spring stayed on the firing pin.

Speaking of taking the gun down. Man, everything is very tight! Not used to that on the old norinco.

Beveled mag well, a +

Beavertail grip safety, nice. always wanted one.

Long recoil rod guide. I think after I break it in good, I may break it in again with out it. It is a bit short so the slide can be removed while it is in the gun. Just not crazy about it.

Grips. Rubber, not pretty but very "grippy"

Extended thumb safety +

Front serrations, some think they are the anti christ. Just another grippy place for me to hang onto, like it.

Why does Kinber give you a 7 round mag with the gun and sell 8 rounders aftermarket? DUMB.

Flat mainspring hsg. Wanted to change the one on the Norinco for years. I did have a long trigger on the Norinco. Gave it to my brother for his new Springfield.

Sights. Not 3 dot but nice.

Loaded chamber indicator cut in chamber. Mabe I finally need glasses, couldn't see the brass in there

Worth it? I looked hard at the Springfield. I think I would have paid a bit more for the upgrades if I'd bought the GI pistol and got it to the point of the Kimber.

Overall I'm very happy. The range is next.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave Sample,
So far I'm very happy, just wanted to try & toss as much info as I could in case someone is looking at one.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
i got a chance to fire what i believe was a kimber(didnt ask the owner though). I loved the feel and accuracy. Definately a good 1911 for someone to consider who is looking into them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sorry this is a little late, but I thought you may want to spend more of your money. grips4guns.com. I bought the rosewood ones.]
Indy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts