Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I just broke my own rule. I've always said I wouldn't buy a gun unless I was planning to shoot it. But I waltzed thru a gun shop today that occasionally has Mosins, and found a Romanian Instructie Mosin. Those are old guns that were handed out to schools, trade unions, paramilitary organizations, etc after the Soviet invasion of Czechoslavakia in 1968, when the Romanians were afraid they were going to be next.

Generally they have a red stripe on the buttstock, and the word Instructie stamped on the wood in block letters, all capitals. Most of them were already beat up when they were handed out, and most of them were m91's. But there were also other Mosins, and even a few Mausers.

This particular Instructie is unusual for not being as old as most of them; it's a round-receiver Izhevsk 91/30, with a front sight from an m91. It's in one piece but beat to snot, and so worn it has ripples instead of rifling. I'll post pics after the ten-day waiting period.

I can't imagine it ever becoming one of my shooters, unless I want to give whatever or whoever I'm shooting at a sporting chance. But the price was so ridiculously low (especially by California standards) that I just couldn't turn it down. I guess I'm living proof that no matter what you put up for sale, someone will buy it.

Maybe I can resell it to that guy who was lecturing us the other day about the value of collectables, and their historical significance...;)

addendum: I guess that isn't a total joke after all. I just checked at

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm

and he had Instructie 91/30's listed as a "seven" on his scale of rarity, going from one (most common) to ten (most rare). For comparison, New England Westinghouse m91's are a "five," and the granddaddy of them all, a French-made Chatellerault, is a "six."

Of course, rarity or availability isn't the only measure of a gun's value. There are little things like condition and demand...

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forty nine bucks

FutureMarine said:
what was the price?
I spent more than that on shotgun shells this weekend.

When I first saw it, I asked, "what the Sam Hill is that thing with the red stripe on it?", and got told it was a "Russian trainer."

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picked up the Instructie today

After my nephew cleaned an incredible amount of crud out of the barrel, it turned out to have more rifling than I'd thought. I'll try to post pics this weekend, along with "before" pics of my new M39 stock.

Looks like I won't get to try selling it after all. My younger son turned sixteen today, and he glommed on to it for a birthday present.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Hey, where are you buying mosins for 49 bucks in California???? We don't have anything that cheap around here.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Centerfire Arms in Riverside

.22guy said:
Hey, where are you buying mosins for 49 bucks in California???? We don't have anything that cheap around here.
But that isn't the usual price for them around here, either. Like I said, this one's pretty beat up, and they didn't realize it was a collector's piece. I think they thought that ugly red stripe on the buttstock lowered the value even more.

Centerfire doesn't deal with a lot of milsurps, and they don't seem to pay them much attention. I suspect that if they get them cheap they sell them cheap, and if they paid too much they charge too much, and they aren't worried either way.

They're good people, though. I swing by periodically when I'm working in the area just to see what they have, and if nothing else I can always get a few good minutes of gun gab.

By the way, I shot the Instructie this weekend. I didn't have a hundred yards to play with, but at fifty it seems to hang right with our other Mosins in spite of being beat up.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
That's cool. I forgot you said it was beat up. It's pretty much all about Big 5 for me, everything else is too much $$$$. Been eyeing a M91/30 and a 8MM Mauser 24/47. It blows my mind that you can get a Mauser rifle there for 100 bucks.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, I hang out at Big 5 more than I should myself.

One of the things that amazes me is how few clerks there know anything at all about the milsurps they're selling. If I were selling them, I'd look them up until I knew more about them than my customers.

I sold a a rifle for one Big 5 store a few weeks ago; a guy asked about a 91/30 and the clerk knew squat about it. So I chimed in, and by the time I was done the customer was all starry-eyed about owning a piece of history.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Yeah, I spend too much time there. There's one kind of on the way home from work, so I stop in from time to time to check out the selection. 8MM Mauser 24/47 for 100 bucks! It's amazing I haven't bought one yet.

Those darn mil-surps.

Oh, and I agree about the employees. Idiots. I'm no expert on those guns, but geez, they know NOTHING. Makes me feel like I'm in Wal-Mart or something (not that they sell guns in CA anymore).

OK, I feel better now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts