close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interchangeability

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Apr 2, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I've heard some stuff about this, but I'd like to know what all is interchangeable between the different SKS models, specifically the magazine, trigger group, gas piston, gas tube, receiver cover, bolt, bolt carrier, and stock.
    I wasn't sure if parts that looked different (ie gas block on the Yugo, gas tube and mag on the Albie) still fit the different models. I'd sometime like to do a project where I totally reconfigure an SKS with enough American parts to beat the stupid import ban.
    Main questions:
    Will the Chinese (or US) piston, aftermarket Monte Carlo stock, synthetic handguard, USA magazines, Chinese trigger group, possibly bolt and bolt carrier too, and receiver cover fir the Yugo?

2. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Good luck on that G

3. BattleRifleG3

Using US parts CAN be done, just depends on how much you want to buy, and how inventive you want to get.

4. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Not too sure on the technical, but just curious on what/why you are building one?

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

There were many variations in the bolts. There are 4 types and you have to be careful which one you use in your project. The trigger groups are in 2 different classes- milled and stamped. A milled trigger group can replace a stamped one, but a stamped only replaces a stamped. If you do replace a stamped with a milled one, you will have to carve a little wood off of the back of the stock where the triggerguard goes in.
    Bolt carriers are pretty universal. Just make sure it functions properly with the bolt. Receiver covers are universal, too. If you have trouble getting one to fit, file a little metal off of the front leading edges of the cover, being careful to follow the contours. I knew a guy who filed the retainig pin hole, and now has a set of false teeth, not to mention a plastic cheek.
    As far as the gas piston goes, just make sure the new one is the same length as the old one. Hanguards should interchange with very little problem. Stocks are interchangeable, also.
    If you assemble your rifle, only load 3 rounds on the initial firing. If it slam-fires, or goes full-auto, don't fire it again until you have it checked out. Look carefully at the case after you fire it. Make sure there's no excessive headspace. If there's a dark/bulged area ahead of the rim, there's too much headspace, and that's trouble.
    Good luck, and HTH.

6. BattleRifleG3

Thanks Calvin, that really helps.

Why, AR-Tim asks? Well, the SKS is overflowing with options for modification, and the antis hate it not only when we have weapons and power, but when we enjoy them, so they just have to try to make us miserable. You can beat the '89 import ban by having 10 or less imported parts from the list of 20. Then it's only under the assault weapon ban of '94, which should disappear unless renewed. That means you could have a detachable mag AND a bayonet AND a flash suppressor AND whatever pistol grip or thumbhole stock you like AND even a grenade launcher if you jolly well please, as long as enough parts are American. You can convert it to take any mags you like (though AK mags would contribute to foreign parts, hence my wild idea of using Mini-30 mags, which require less or no receiver modification than AK mags.)

Of course the features aren't the point... An SKS that I make the way I want is purpose enough. Even if it just lets me have a useless bayonet and a detachable mag, it's worth it. Maybe it'll let me use convenient detachable mags (duckbills don't count) WITHOUT sacrificing the bolt hold open feature and stripper clip feeding, like my SKS-D model. Maybe I'll finally design a decent bullpup version. Maybe. I dunno. Just an idea.

7. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Sounds like a fun project to me, have fun and good luck!