Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, theres a huge gunshow coming up in Louisville in Sept. that I'm going too. Now, I'm going to be looking for an AK, but have gotten interested in the SKS also. I have a few questions if you guys have a moment. First off, what is the difference between an SKS and one of the Dragonuv rifles(besides the stocks of course)? I see the Dragonuv stocks on Cabelas, combatstocks.com, and am wondering if they are the same rifle or not(although I know they don't shoot the same round). Another question, do SKS's have detachable mags? I like the idea of being about to quickly slap in another 10-20 round clip. What do I need to look for when I buy one? Or better yet, what do I need to be cafeful to watch out for. What kind of range and accuracy can I expect with these rifles and a decent load?

·
Registered
545 Posts
i suppose i can answer part of the last one... i just now got back from the range with my russian sks and at about 50 yards - 150 yards i was hitting EXACTLY where i wanted. im not sure if mine is just sighted in perfect for the gun or not. im shooting without a scope -- just open sights with wolf ammo, and a white box that i have no clue who makes it (i just know its my cal.) and i couldnt ask for better accuracy. i was breaking clay pidgeons on the ground, shooting in the middle of letters on a laundry soap jug (full of water only), and basically liquifying a jug of water... (i got a great deal on hollowpoint) plus the ammo is a good cost. i got a pack of 20 for $2 from a gun shop in wyoming, or $4 for it at my gun shop.... i wouldnt think you would be doing a !!!! of a lot of shooting all at once though so the 20 rounds isnt really necessary.. i have stripperclips of 10 that you just slide in fairly easily and it lasts a decent amount of time... think of the sks as a rifle, not a submachinegun :) and last and most surprising... it has almost no kick.. with mine i could compare the kick to shooting a .22 mag -- yes, its noticeable... but laughable :) id say definitely get one.. only recommendations other than that, remove the bayonet while shooting and have some kind of sandbag to rest it on.. ups the accuracy a good bit also. the yugos and others ive heard decent things about.. but for resale someday, id go with the russian. the yugos and whatnot are far too common around here... i searched 3 of the largest towns around here and not a single one had a russian. booyah

-inuyasha

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,493 Posts
The SKS is a totally different rifle than the Dragunov. The true Russian Dragunov looks somewhat similar to a 'stretched' AK, but it's gas system is quite different, as well as being in a more powerful caliber. The Romanian and Chinese 'Dragunovs' aren't Drags at all - they are just built to resemble it.

The SKS in it's most common form uses the fixed ten-round magazine, loaded from the top by stripper clips. A good system actually, you can carry much more ammo and it's as quick to load with practice as a detachable magazine.
There is a Chinese-made version of the SKS, the Sporter, which uses AK magazines. It is especially designed for this, as simple mods to a regular SKS for AK mags is both illegal and often unsafe and unreliable. This AK-magged SKS costs more, but is highly sought after. It can be found in a sporting style stock or a thumbhole style.

Basically, if you want the higher firepower of the AK magazine, get an AK. The beauty of the SKS is it's generally better accuracy.

At this time, the main SKS variant you'll likely find is the Yugo, either the M59 that resembles the Russian gun, or the M59/66 with the added grenade-launcher. The plain rifle costs more, as many were modded into the G-L model. The 'experienced M59/66 is the cheapest available SKS now, often under a C-note! But beware of corroded gasvalves. The unissued M59/66 is still pretty cheap, around $150 or so. Excellent value!
Chinese rifles are the next most often seen, and can be quite good shooters. They have softer wood, and tend to feel lighter.
Russian and Romanian are getting scarcer these days. The oddball Albanians sold out early when they were imported - they are scarce as hens teeth now.

That's about it in a nutshell. Happy hunting! :)

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I would absolutely agree that while detachable mags are available for the SKS, an AK is a far better idea for that. If you want to save money doing that with an SKS, you'll find that all the AK-izing accessories end you up with something at least as expensive and far less comfortable or reliable.

Getting an SKS and using stripper clips in the original 10rd magazine and getting an AK for use with detachable mags is the best idea there. Can't afford both? Pick one and save for the next.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
With the killer prices you can get on some decent SKS shooters, I say why not try one out? Especially the Yugo's, you can find some in great shape plus you can use it as a sort of maual bolt action, with the gas chamber closed. Increase of accuracy, and flip for Semi-Auto. I also am currently searching for another SKS, this time a Yugo.

·
Registered
545 Posts
ill trade you my bayonet for your ak ;) want everyone to be happy :p im doing it for you :D

hey big dog.. that mean your jealous of my genetically modified hen? :) someday i might bother putting up a pick.. its got an awesome stock on it.. needs cleaned and oiled before college but i might be able to get my dad to do that.. i have other things to do.. tomorrow is my last day here for a couple days

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So for a standard SKS, I will pay, say around $100-$150. What can I expect to pay for the SKS Sporter? I'm looking at www.combatstocks.com right now. For the SKS, from ATI, I see two different Dragunov Stock, one with/for the detachable mag, and I guess the other is just for a plain SKS. Is the first stock for the Sporter version? I also see the ATI bipod on here, that attaches to the bayonet lug. Does the Sporter have the lug? If not, does Harris make a bipod for the SKS? And looking on Cabela's, they have a Ram-Line SKS flash hider that IMO would look cool. Would a flash hider be more of a personal preference?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Stocks don't care whether there is a bayonet lug or not. The US made stocks usually don't have a groove for it though.

Doesn't matter what stock you use if you want to use the SKS detachable mag. If you get the AK mag model, you'd probably have to modify any stock you get for them, but it's not a lot of work and not extremely sensitive. You'd have to do a slightly more drastic mod to use AK drums, but it can be done. Some stocks will work with the AK mag model without mods. Not sure how to tell.

Note that many SKSs have been called "sporters", and that may or may not mean it uses AK mags. Make sure you get a picture before buying sight unseen. There are many idiots out there who think any banana mag is an AK mag.

As far as price, unless you get REALLY lucky, expect to pay AK prices for them. You may get lucky and find one in the $200 range. I had one years ago. I sold it to fund an AK, while already having a standard SKS. I like my current setup much better.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, let me just say what my plan is. I'd like to get an SKS that I can put 10 and 20 round mags in. Now, I know(atleast from Cabela's) they are sold as kits, so maybe there is more to this then just getting a new mag. If for some reason there was alot of work involved in this, I'd just stick to the 10 round mag, but 5 rounds just isen't enough for me :) . So, I'd also like to put a Dragunuv stock on it, a bipod, a flash hider, and a good scope.

These are the mags I'm talking about:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=sks&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With the exception of the Red-Dot scope, this is exactly what I'm wanting. It takes 20-round mags, price is $325:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
This a pic from an ad you're looking at? Check recent posts on US parts compliance. There are some things you need to know. The good news is that looks like it may be a US made muzzle attachment, maybe, if it's not an AMD one. Check and get back to us. If that SKS shown has a US piston or op rod and a US made brake, it's good. If it has a US made op rod AND piston, then it's fine with a foreign brake.

If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, check the sticky at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The removable mags are alright if you don't mind a feeding failure every now and then. They do take a little work to fit a Yugo properly. Just a little fileing, not much. If you're only going to shoot it at the range it's not bad. load the mags, then before you lock one in slap it against your other hand so that the rounds seat against the back of the magazine. If you carry it much they're going to work back out of place and eventually you'll have a failure. If you want to try one of the removable mags out before you buy several look on www.gunbroker.com there's always someone selling them on there for around $16. There's usually somebody selling stocks, bipods, etc... The bipod I was going to order mounted to the bayonet lug but I just couldn't give up my stabber. What if I run out of ammo and the target isn't dead yet? But by all means try out all the toys you can find. If you don't like something, take it off and go back to the basics, If you do like something, tell us about it!! I bought a Williams peep sight for mine, tried it out a couple days, decided I could improve on it, made one at work the next day that I like MUCH better. Turned around and sold the one I'd bought plus the 30 round mag to a guy at work a few days later. So far I'm not out any money and I got some good design ideas for my sight. There's usually some good deals on guns at gunbroker too, used and new, but you have to find a dealer to recieve it for you if you don't have an FFL so expect to pay a transfer fee. Anything over $20 is a rip off and anybody that charges a background check fee is a thief too. It doesn't cost anything to run one.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
BattleRifleG3, I don't know for sure what it has. I was looking at gunbroker or gunsamerica.com and happened to see that picture. I was posting more to just show what I was wanting to do with a rifle. I guess I'll have to read up on what I can and can't do. Centerfiresystems is just north of me, about 30 or 40 miles. They have the Yugoslavian SKS 7.62x39 Model 59/66 with Original Grenade Launcher for $99.97, is that a good price for a base model? As long as it's in good shape of course.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The more you learn about these nitpicky laws, the more you realize how insanely STUPID they are. I'd be happy to explain as much as I can. Me, after doing all I could to figure out how to do the most with an SKS legally, decided I liked the stock configuration more.

To each his own.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The SKS as issued is the most reliable configuration, meaning the non-detachable 10 rd mag.

I have seen all sorts of configurations, inside and outside California, and the as issued rifles have the fewest problems. I have never had a failure of any kind with the SKS carbines that I have or have owned, and in fact the only ones I have seen that had real problems, were the SKS's with detachable magazines.

`

·
Registered
767 Posts
I was thinking about find a removable mag modification for my Yugo SKS, but decided its actually much easier just to load 10 round stripper clips than hand loading 10 rounds into a removable magazine.

As for accuracy..I shoot my yugo sks at a 200 yard burm with 12 inch steel gongs in front of it..and using the sights that came on it (I tried a scope attachment and did not like it)..I can hit that gong 9 out of 10 times...not bad for a nearsighted old man with a 60 year old commie rifle!

ONE IMPORTANT THING with a sks or any milsurp....when you first get it, tear it down and make sure the dealer has removed all the cosmoline (looks like dark brown grease) ESPECIALLY in and around the firing pin.. And be prepared for more cosmo to seep out of the stock and some hidden places if it is hot out..at least for a while.

Also, some of the ammo available is partially corrosive, so make sure you dab a little amonia based window cleaner down the barrel (this neutralizes the corrosives) and bore after you are done shooting, followed by some cleaning solvent and then a good oil..or you will have rust form in just a few days.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Anyone know much about Choate? I see they make an SKS scope mount that uses Weaver type one inch rings, goes for $32.00 on combatstocks.com. If that mount worked well, theres alot of scopes you could use. I'm thinking, you pick up a good SKS for $125-$150, spend $50 on a ATI Dragunuv stock, $100 on a 1000-rounds of surplus ammo, $40.00 on a bipod(don't ask, just always wanted one), throw a flash hider for looks, that scope mount(if it works), and spend like $50-60 on a red-dot scope, you've spent less then $450 on a nice little setup that I know will kill something inside of 200 yards. Here's a pic of the scope mount I'm talking about:

·
Registered
417 Posts
yeah but then your legal sks just became illegal

1 - 20 of 45 Posts