close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interested in getting started

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, May 6, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I would like to get into the sport. Is my Glock 23c .40SW okay to use. I wondered if the compensated barrel might be against the rules. If so, I have a noncomp barrel I could drop into it. Also, I'm anLEO. Can I use my hi-caps, or would I need to pick up some ten rounders?

I need to go watch a match when they come to the range in my area; and see for myself.

2. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

3. FireStar

FireStar G&G Newbie

I had thought about getting into IDPA but one of their rules wouldn't let me use my "Auto-Ported" FireStar .40S&W... yet they say you can use what you carry on a daily basis.

Well... I carry mine on a daily basis. (LOL) Maybe some day they'll change that particular section of the rules. It might have been fun.

4. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I'm not familiar with the "Auto ported" Firestar. Could you describe?

5. FireStar

FireStar G&G Newbie

I have a $1,200 Combat Customized FireStar M40 in .40 S&W caliber. One of the custom features I had done to it was by a company known a Mag-Na-Port (http://www.magnaport.com/).

The company calls their porting process either Mag-Na-Port (for revolvers), Auto-Port (for semi-automatics), Pro-Port (for shotguns) and Mag-Na-Brake (for rifles). Take a quick look at their web page. Thay have lots of real cool info.

Hope this helps.

6. DavidW

DavidW G&G Newbie

IDPA is a great activity and every shooter should at least try it. You meet some fine people with common interests and the emphasis isn't on winning as much as it is about doing your best. LEOs get a break in the competition because the can use their duty rigs and don't have to concern themselves about concealment. The rules about mags state that in order to keep expenses down and to provide a level field, the max number of rounds in a mag is not to exceed ten. You can use your hi-caps, just load them to ten plus one for the chamber. Ported barrels are no-nos because the founders of IDPA got started in IPSC which left its defensive roots and became a game based on gadgets and high end gunsmithing. IDPA is a test of everyday equipment and skills in realistic setting, using scenarios that an average person may encounter and may have to deal with, not a bunch of running around with a zillion round, optically sighted gun that is so fine tuned it might not work in a crisis. Hit the IDPA website, look over the basic rules, put your regular barrel in your Glock (I'm a CZ75 man myself), find a club near you and try it. The fee is minimal, some clubs let new folks shoot the first one free!

7. ported barrels and such

I'm looking into joining the IDPA myself. The rule limitations are actually one of the attractions to me. I've seen to many shooting sports get bogged down in technology/money races and forget about raw shooting skill, not that I dare try to suggest that the shooters in these sports are not skilled, just that sometimes "money talks" to much. If I get out shot by a competitor cause he's a better shooter that's fine, If I get out shot cause he has an extra 2 grand lying around to dump into a pistol I'd get annoyed.
    According to their website they decided not to allow ported barrels into competion as it would start the add-ons arms race that drove a lot of people away from IPSC. It's not that there's specifically anything wrong with it, but it's not yet standard enough to allow into competion.

David W. I'm a CZ-75 man to! What sort of holster did you get, who makes it, and what did it cost. The only holsters I'm familliar with are duty rigs.

8. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Go have FUN! If you learn something along the way, GREAT, if not, at least you had a good time ;)

:target: