Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone like the Arisaka 99s? I don't know if I want to get one if I won't be able to get ammo for it...buuut I am interested in expanding my collection. How do they shoot?

*****ON ANOTHER NOTE.
I found one to possibly buy, if I hear enough good things, but it is missing a little piece. I have provided a picture to make up for my lack of vocabulary in the field. Anyone who might be able to confirm that I can get the part to replace it, and what the part would be called would be GREATLY appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is just the Bayonet Lug. By that picture the only thing the rifle seems to be missing is the cleaning rod, which is no big deal at all for shooting. Unless there is more to the picture than I see. What you are pointing as is just a like a little metal peice with groves that looks as if something slides onto it?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Good and bad

Metallurgically, the Japanese combat rifle of WW2 had what is generally regarded as the strongest action of any WW2 combat rifle. This was spurred on by the inability of that nation to combine quality control and mass production of ammunition.

It is a historically interesting firearm.

On the downside, these guns are 60+ years old at present so
missing parts may require expensive machining to recreate should you have the ability to design the part.

The ammo, obviously, is another tough to surmount issue.

I, personally, would not choose to buy one other than to have in
the guncase as a conversation piece but I do understand other
people will see it differently.

Good luck and good shooting

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Well because I collect the WWII long rifles I have a 99 and a 44 and a type 38. They are alll modified mauser actions. I have no problem shooting them. Other than the rounds being so expensive. They are kind of fun to shoot. Take em to the gun range and they stir up some looks and questions. As far as the type 99 its hard to tell you how they shoot. They shoot just like a 98 mauser. Well actually more like a 95 Mauser. Just a fun rifle to shoot now and then.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I happen to have an Arisaka that was re-tooled by someone to shoot 30-06. It's not the prettiest gun in the world, however, It is one of the most rugged, and most accurate gun's that I own. It's killed alot of deer at the 200 yard +/- range with the open sights. So, apparently it's possible to have one setup to shoot "Normal" ammo.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My buddy actually bought it yesterday. He was really interested in it, and I figured, well at least I'll still be able to shoot it. And don't have to track down the ammo.
I'll put up some pics of it since he isn't a member.

·
Registered
340 Posts
RE: Front Barrel Band.

Before you just buy the 1st barrel band you see, be aware that there were some variations and that you must find the correct type that fits your Arsenal/Series.
Collecting Arisaka's, particularly the T-99, is a facinating field because of the MANY variations. Which denote the evolution of thr war going progessively bad for the Japanese. To the extent that by wars end, the rifle they were producing bore little resemblence to the early war rifle in terms of quality and appearence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts