close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

interesting .410 fodder

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Mar 24, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Found in Cheaperthandirt Mfg by Rexio 2.5" OO Buck 4 pellets per shell, 5 shells per box $1.39 per box.

proof would be in the patterning board, but this seems it would make a smokin Coyote load for the .41O owner.
    just a thought.

2. JohnD

JohnD Member

It would work at about 15 yards after that the shot would be to far apart to get vital hits. I could be wrong.

3. jerry

USA
    thats where the pattern board would be useful. even then it would be on a gun to gun basis. I'll get some when i get a chance to try.

4. JohnD

JohnD Member

I realy do not think it will work. You would be better off with a handgun I would think.

5. jerry

USA
    I should have clarified. I tend to agree with you, but it would be fun to find out. I have about any gun/tool I need for any job. someone else out there may not. there might be a few people who would be intertested and want to try it. What else can you do on a Sunday afternoon that cost $3.00 in gas; $1.39 in a box a box of shells? Just something that is interesting and should be tested before actually being used on critters. That's how we learn.

6. JohnD

JohnD Member

yes I was thinking if they had 4 balls in a row and not stagerd it might work but the ball would have to be bigger than 000buck. Have you tryed it yet? I just tryed some 2 3/4" 12gage 0buck with 12balls and it paterns at about 8-10" at 25yards.

7. jerry

USA
    naw, got to get around to ordering it. the thing i'm most curious about would be the typical long shotstring of the .410. the other problem would be if this shot string theory holds true and you end up with one following the other (not likely, i know) it would be hard to say if it was a flyer or not????the ultimate test would be on the yote itself, they tell no lies.

8. JohnD

JohnD Member

to me the .410 has always been seen as a bit useless how do you like it with bird shot? have you ever tryed slugs? They would be better for coyotes if you have some sort of sights. BB shot works for coyotes at about 20yards in 12gage so even number 4buck should work for coyotes in the .410.

9. jerry

USA
    The .410 in my opinion is a experts tool. (I'm not claiming to be one) I got this for my son when he first started shooting, before he could handle a 20 ga. I'd let him shoot clay birds set up on the ground. After he grew some i got him into the 20. I will not let him hunt with it (squirell etc.) because it's hit ratio is tighter. I read an article about a guy who would head shoot snow geese in TX with one, on the wing, consistently. When I lived in AZ my friend would shoot a .410 for dove because his 12 was no longer a challenge. In a nutshell, I have the gun. It does no good just sitting in the closet. Why not use it. As mentioned before, if I can test a box of $1.39 ammo and pass some feed back to someone who may only own a .410 and help, what the heck, eh?
    My friend could keep slugs on a paper plate with a bead at 30~40 yards. I'd shoot some BB or 4 buck if i could find some.

10. JohnD

JohnD Member

yep thats cheap fun!! I bet you looked at that .410 winchester lever action too.

11. jerry

USA
    I admit I gave it a good looking over. If I had use for a specialized rig and the $$$ for it, ma be. It would make a good toy for someone.

12. Oneshot

Oneshot G&G Newbie

Gents, I happen to have a Cobray DD .45 that happens to chamber .410 real nice. Anyone wanna make any predictions as to how this stuff will pattern out of my pistol, if i ever get my hands on the ammo that is. It measures 4 inches from breech to muzzle, and patterns with #6 shot are "interesting".

Oneshot

13. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

JohnD, you mentioned that you liked 0 buck in your 12 gauge and that the 410 would be better with larger than 000 buck. Well the 000 buck are larger than the 0 buck. I have a bolt action Mossberg 410 that I scoped. Shoots like a rifle with slugs at 100 yards. Nice to use where hunting is restricted to "shotguns only". Oh, by the way, Winchester sells 3" 410 shells with 5-000 buckshots in them. I bet they will work great for close in shots. The 12 gauge 000 buck only carries 8 shots per shell and are not traveling as fast as the 410 ??????????

14. jerry

USA
    would still like to run some thru the .410

15. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

It does sound interesting. I wouldn't mind trying them thru my Stevens single-shot bolt-action .410. Down here, it's hard to find any good .410 ammo - people just don't use it like they used to. Guys seldom start their sons on the Lil' .410 anymore. <sigh> :(

16. Take it your talking about a .410 shotgun. These are very poular in the UK, I have one i keep in the truck for when im out and about, just in case i saw the odd squirrel or sitting crow. Would not recommend them for anything bigger, you gotta be a mighty good shot to take a fox or even a pigeon/Dove down with one. We buy sheels over here in boxes of 25 and retail around £1.50-£1.75

If your talking about something different, ignore my comments

17. once in a long while you still find the ammo at an auction or something... seems to me just an average box of .410 is about $7 around here, but i wouldnt quite forget about the .410.. my dad used to use his when he was younger and apparently had little problem bringing down a pheasant so i suppose if you find decent enough shot itll still do the job for you. personally i find our .410 to be more fun than the 20 or the 12 guage, but then again i just plain like the gun -- its an over-under, but i like it more than a 12 guage over-under merely because its not as large (as in bulky, not as too much power)

18. maarten221

maarten221 G&G Newbie

.410 us a great starter shot gun and an excellent hunting weapon in an over/under with a .22. The Stevens .410/.22 is a great little gun. I had one when I was young - my first firearm and I learned to shoot with it. Could take snakes, dove, gunea fowl and all other sorts of critters. I admit I used the .22 more, but only because ammo was cheaper.