Interesting picture thread

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by grizcty, Sep 17, 2018.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

This brave man spent 7 years as a POW. :usa2:

[​IMG]

rando, 455rocket, EtherialOne and 6 others like this.
  2. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Looks like a question for Cyrano.

Jack Ryan and Ten Man like this.

3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    Now you've got me searching the house for mine.

How does it tell you the time in different cities? I don't remember any city names in there.

4. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    Compass sundial.jpg OK, now I've found mine.
    Mine is just a little different from the picture.
    Inside the lid.
    Outside ring of numbers is 1-30 around the outside.
    Next ring inside of that is numbered 1-12 and then 1-12 for the other half.
    Now the inside dial with the pointer on 12, a hole, and it moves is numbered 1-12 with the other half numbered 1-12.

Though not exactly the same as the one in the picture, I NOW think YOUR CLUE is enough I can figure it out. If you know your "hours" from London or Greenwich mean time may be. You can set the dial to the correct number for your time zone and then calculate the time by looking at the dial around the world and the 30 scale must tell you something about the minutes, may be.

After typing all that, I got a stroke of "genius" and just took a picture of mine.

I've had this thing for years and knew it was a sundial and could use it to tell time but I couldn't figure out what that "lid dial" thing was or what it was for.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    goat roper, grizcty and neophyte like this.
  5. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I would say very carefully and slow. Where I live they used to build and repair many ships and barges. They had drydocks and large ramp launches. They would block them with huge planks and also weld steel beams from the hull to the metal floor. Looks like they welded beams to hold these in place and to keep a space between them. That is one big azz barge.

grizcty, Ten Man, Merle and 3 others like this.
  6. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    I SEE IT NOW!!

I searched for pictures of other pocket sundials and some of the others SAY "London GMT" inside and then instead of numbers they have the names of cities around the dial!

THANK YOU!

grizcty and neophyte like this.
  7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

information: reminder :)

https://greenwichmeantime.com/what-is-gmt/
    • The name of the clock that shows Greenwich Mean Time at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, London, UK, is Shepherd Gate Clock
    • GMT is used as Standard Time in the UK and several other countries and is also a time zone
    • Offsets or time differences are generally written as UTC/GMT plus or minus a number of hours.
    The definition

Greenwich Mean Time or GMT is clock time at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, London. It is the same all year round and is not affected by Summer Time (Daylight Saving Time) clock changes.

When the sun is at its highest point exactly above the Prime Meridian, it is 1200 noon at Greenwich.

Check out the GMT timestamp to see how accurate your computer time is.

GMT is also a time zone, used by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK) when Daylight Saving Time is not in use, from October to March.

The Greenwich Meridian (Prime Meridian or Longitude Zero degrees) marks the starting point of every Time Zone of the time zone map.

Jack Ryan and Huey Rider like this.
  8. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

Back when we used to bomb the crap out of them obviously !

neophyte, grizcty, Jack Ryan and 4 others like this.
  9. grizcty

10. grizcty

Two Oglala chiefs, American Horse (wearing western clothing and gun-in-holster) and Red Cloud (wearing headdress), shaking hands in front of tipi–probably on or near Pine Ridge Reservation. 1891.

[​IMG]

Stickman, rando, Jack Ryan and 5 others like this.
  11. grizcty

The old truck out lived its owner. And was put out to the pasture, to comfort the herd.

[​IMG]

K75RT, Stickman, rando and 6 others like this.
  12. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    Been looking at a couple trees in the drive way about a week now. I bet I've taken a thousand pictures of this tree but I couldn't stand it. Had to take one more. Never know when I just might be your last.

IMG_4665.JPG

13. grizcty

Clutch of fossilized dinosaur egg embryos.

[​IMG]

rando, Gun Junkie, Merle and 4 others like this.
  14. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

10175.jpg

grizcty, Huey Rider and neophyte like this.
  15. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

Ten Man and neophyte like this.
  16. grizcty

neophyte, Huey Rider, Ten Man and 2 others like this.
  17. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Good place for it!

neophyte likes this.
  18. grizcty

No trick or treaters!

[​IMG]

rando, Stickman, Merle and 4 others like this.
  19. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

PARADISE LOST

Huey Rider and neophyte like this.
  20. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    Making hooks, in the vise, on the tractor. LOL

IMG_4360.JPG

If you happen to need to tear out beaver dams and can't use a back hoe or dynamite, this is the tool you need for doing it by hand. Bend a hook on each end of a 10 foot piece of rebar. Big hook on one end and little hook on the other turning the opposite way as each other. Any kind of clearing of log jams or snags. You can use it alone by hand or as a grapple with a rope and even throw it like a spear. Just throw it past and over what you want to snag and the hook always turns down as it goes across the top to catch it.

MRT NH 72, rando, tnmedic and 3 others like this.