Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BIL(ex-cop not ex-con) and I entered a coyote calling contest. It runs until Sunday noon. Some guys hunted last night using the full moon(no lights). We are starting at first light this morning. We scouted our area last weekend, coming up with several more farms to hunt as well. The weather is pretty good, 34 degrees, high of 50 and no wind or a 5mph breeze from the south. I'm killing time, waiting for Greg to show up so we can head south.
Top prize for most coyotes is $1,000. Last year, 3 coyotes took first. The word got out and last night we had 80 two man teams registered, some from as far as Georgia. Sunday check-in will be a blast. Food, prizes, beer and stories plus pictures.
I got a new phone last weekend. One of those I-phones, smart phones. I added Google Earth and now can survey all our hunting ground. One rule is we have to tag our coyotes with time of kill and then send a picture to the promoter. 21st century technology to hunt a centuries old predator.

·
<------------<<<-
3,799 Posts
Kittson County, MN has a similar event every February. Everyone meets in the morning, and they are given instructions on marking the coyotes for that given day. The front right paw tied into its mouth, rear feet tied together over the back, stuff like that.

Reactions: Rambo and neophyte

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another early start. Long days. We bolo'd yesterday. Made numerous stands and drew out not one coyote. I did manage to call in bobcats on several different properties. My BIL had never seen one...EVER in his life so he said that alone was worth it. Gotta up our game this AM. Check in is at 1pm, 33 teams have already called in coyotes, two teams with at least 5. I also called in several hawks, crows and even one doe.

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All over. 80 teams with 95 coyotes taken. Winning team from Nebraska shot 14. They used thermal IR. Greg and I shot none. More teams shot none than did. Oh well. I'll be back next year. 1st place paid $3000. $6400 taken in, all paid out in prize money except 5% that went to a charity. I like that.
IMG_0007.JPG

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Looks like the coyote problem in the area will be taken care of for a little while.

Last year there was a contest I was supposed to enter but my truck came early and I had to bow out of the comp. My buddy and another guy shot one in two days. The winners were also using NVGs and Thermal gear.
I keep telling myself i'm going to pick up a PVS-14 setup but just have a hard time dropping the 4Gs for a quality one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts