Iraq Veterans: 'I Want to Go Home ... Especially on Memorial Day'

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Marine1, May 27, 2008.

1. Marine1

Marine1 G&G Newbie

At Combat Outpost 881 in southwest Baghdad, every day is a sort of Memorial Day....

"One of my best friends got killed here in 2005," Sgt. Robert Scott told ABC News from his small bedroom. "Several friends got killed, actually. I think about them every day."

ABC News: Memorial Day is No Holiday For U.S. Troops

2. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks for the link, M1. It makes it clear that our young people believe they're doing the honorable duty.

3. HARDERTR

HARDERTR G&G Newbie

:angryfire:Almost EVERYTHING about this story makes me angry.:angryfire:

The two statements that stand out most are:

These soldiers on this day are more civil affairs workers than fighters.

"For the time being, I want them to stay," said 45-year-old Jassim Muhammad, a police officer. "Until we have enough security. Until the police station in this area can provide the security. Then we say to them," he said, pausing before finishing in English, "Go home. Bye-bye."

I didn't sign up to be a "civil affairs worker" who is blamed for not supplying enough jobs or welfare to a country full of people who will NEVER get along....then be shown the door once the handouts are gone.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  4. Seabeescotty

I didn't catch that, 'cause I'm hard of hearing. That pi$$es me off, and they won't even let me go over there! I can see why you're mad!

5. Marine1

Marine1 G&G Newbie

I quite agree, Scotty..can't anyone just read a story anymore, about thousands of others who are there, proud to serve our great nation, "as ordered"? Did we not take an oath when we joined to obey the orders of our superiors? Hell, I went on many chit details, and ordered to do things, I did not agree with, but...I obeyed the orders of my superiors. That's what a soldier does. I cannot imagine an Army of soldiers who did what they wanted to do? Doesn't make sense to me, either!

6. Seabeescotty

M1, I still do my best to obey the VA docs, and do as I'm told. I realized, at some point, That once you're broken, they feel responsible for trying to make the rest of your life as wonderful as it was in uniform!!! LOL! I had to get that in, they try hard to help us maintain, and live with pain. Been doing it since I was 23, and still tickin' along, albeit much slower! Hell, life ain't too bad, and I enjoy getting up in the morning, even when it hurts. I haven't been able to hear chit, since I was nineteen, but apparently haven't missed a whole lot. I'm done complaining, and plan on being a thorn in somebodies side for years to come. It's a burden, but someone has to do it! I don't know that this did any good, but it seemed like the right time to say it!! And it made me feel much better!

7. Turbo

Turbo G&G Newbie

No one did. But it happens. I am sure that 200 and some years ago when doctrine changed they said the same thing. Things change! Sure we all would rather be kicking in doors, breaking everything and everyone. But we do what we do. If you do not like it get out.

8. I don't think that Iraqi meant it like that. I think what he tried to say, is/was, I want them to stay until we are strong and capable enough to police/do it on our own, then we'll gladly say good-bye.

It also said he paused, to finish in English. Many in this country don't show the respect to even try and speak in English. To me that says a lot. But I don't think he meant anything other than we need to be able to do it ourselves, until we can we need them and then when we can do it ourselves, then we can say good-bye. His English was just poor and it sounded wrong, to me anyhow. But again, at least he tried to say the Good bye, go home in English.

Just my opinion. Trust me, I know there are those that want us gone and never wanted us there. I think more are glad we did what we did and are there, most are still just very afraid. Years of oppression do that. Years of being killed and beaten because you said something against your Government does that.

With all the crap being passed here, us being labeled a combatant or enemy of the state for speaking out in this country, the only difference is no beating or death, yet anyhow...

Please don't take anything I said wrong. What I said was only the impression I got from what I read. Then to, can we really trust the media to put it in black and white exactly how they, anyone said something. They're always changing words around to make a story or better story or make news or better news out of it.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  9. Marine1

Marine1 G&G Newbie

Glockmeister, you read well, between the lines. My compliments, sir!

10. Thanks for the compliment and pointing that out Marine1.

11. HARDERTR

HARDERTR G&G Newbie

I hope you are right GlockMeister, but I deal with Iraqi locals EVERYDAY. Some of them are good people.... but many learn just enough english to try to push our buttons. For them, it is NOT out of "respect for the Americans", it's quite the opposite. It's kind of like the delinquent kid who learns just enough profanity in spanish so he can curse on the streets and "look cool" in front of his friends. The Iraqi police are not an equivalent to our law enforcement. Quite a few are implanted (just look at all those that turned their weapons and loyalty over to the Shia extremists in Basrah, Sadr City and several other cities south of Baghdad not too long ago). Everyone here is jockeying for position before we pull the plug. It's always those on top that are calling for us to leave. What does it tell you when Prime Minister Maliki and his cabinet (at least those that ARE loyal to him) want us to stay for many years to come.

And to you Turbo..."if you don't like it, get out". Well sir, I am. As are far too many of my soldiers and supervisors.