Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into getting an M1 but man are they lts of $$$$$$. Are M1s really worth all the money that the cost, what is it that makes them so much money? I remember going to a web site that is like the M1 club or M1 competition or someplace that sells lots of M1s, what is this website. Why is the GArand so expensive but Kar 98k aren't? is it because of some stupid reason that one is American made and one is foreign. What websites are good to find cheap shootable M1s. Thanks for your help answering my questions.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
1. M1 Garands are far more advanced technologically
2. While the Mausers have been produced in many many many variations by many many many countries from before WWI to well after WWII, the Garand is almost exclusively WWII and Korean War USA made and used.
3. The M1 Garand is in higher demand due to its use in US service rifle competitions.

There's more, but I have to run! Hope others can add explanations.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What BRG said. A Garand is a very fine semi-auto rifle with a great history. Not so stupid - a lot of people would like to have a piece of their own history rather than someone else's. Anyway, I hear you about the pricing on Garands. Try the CMP (odcmp.com) - you can get a good one for $500 (cheaper if thru a club).

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Actually thats an interesting point, Ive heard some very knowledgable people say garands are overpriced because they sit in closets and are not that scarce, having said that CMP can no longer offer garands in service grade except for greeks and some sa,s. They have tons of rack grade sa s and h&r but it seems they are scraping the bottom on garand supplies and maybe have only 1 or 2 years supply left. I f you lined up all the garands ever made in a gun rack the rack would be 600 miles long. so there is alot of them out there. Additionaly the lc 69 3006 ammo is drying up as well. and maybe a few million rounds left and lc has not produced any since 69. What is a good buy right now is the 03 and 03a3, they are gorgeous!!!!, and they probably have the last of those so Id pick one up while you can. You never know what will turn up in gvt store houses though, but the o3s are very very nice gunsb id like to know what your garand is like when you get it, is it a service grade?

L

·
0 Posts
they are very collectible..they command collector prices..like M-1 carbines..they are also alot of fun to shoot :assult:

·
Registered
545 Posts
my dad used to use one a lot in the army and he says they took them through mud, put sand in it, etc, and it would still fire. well made, although the last one i saw at a gun shop was $600. they sound like good guns, although for the price id get a cheap mauser. could work as a decent deer rifle if your doing that, or just target shooting.. ammo runs about 17 cents a round for surplus ammo here, although you obviously should use hand loads or something else since its metal jacket... $600 < $100 to me... total i spent around $120 or so on TWO mausers, but the choice is yours. glad to see your doing research before making the buy :)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Aaaa! sacrilege! you just compared a Turk mauser to a Garand :eek: ;)

Seriously though, I used to feel the same until I felt/shot it - it is one solidly built precision machine :right:

and :right: to the troops who carried it in battle :usa:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
you'll never know the joy of an M1 until you fire one. i have more than a couple of guns, and my M1 is the one i will never part with. ive killed deer with it, punched paper and made a lot of noise with it. luv that rifle.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I just wish I could find the last one I carried while I was in the USMC. I know the serial number, but it would be too much to hope for, to try to track it down, and I would hate to find it if it had not been cared for. Springfield serial number 42963##

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
F1609,
The M1 Garand Rifle is the way to go. History and firepower. Your best bet is to go to the CMP. Read the data as they are the one's selling USGI M1 Garands. Your best bet would be to go with a SA Service Grade. Think of it as money in the bank.
Email:
[email protected]
Sites:
http://www.garandm1rifle.com
http://www.users.fast.net/~eclancy
Thanks again for taking the time and effort to read and reply to this
Clancy
ps could use hits at garandm1rifle only 1 or 2 Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Btw the USGI SA service grade might be hard to get anymore - they are running out of USGI service grades and most recent ones seem to be rack grades. The Greeks seem to be pretty good though.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The Garands, in my opinion, are drying up partly due to folks like myself that have more than one. I own 4. All SAs. Nothing sjpecial. One aftermarket, 2 CMPs and one that I built from parts. The John C. Garand Matches are a good reseason to own one. It's a hoot when there's 10,15,20 men and women on the firing line with your neighbors hot flying brass landing on you hoping one doesn't land under your collar.

shooting the AR helps me shoot the Garand better which helps me shoot the AR better that helps me shoot the Garand better. Ah oh! I'm addicted! :full:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
A part of the reason might also be unscrupulous people buying & selling for profit. Just look at the numer of CMP Garands on any online site.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm surprised one can buy that many in a year. A great way to own one for free if you can make 150 extra on each one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts