Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gotta remember, we're talking canadian funds here. this is the ad i found and i'm interested in it. and yes i can examine the gun before purchase, it is local. any hints on what to look for would be appreciated.

Remington Magnum 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge shotgun
30â€￾ barrel with full choke. will accept 2 ¾ and 3â€￾ shells.
Good overall condition, significant wear to bluing on magazine tube from slide and minor pitting to receiver on right side behind ejection port.
Stock is high gloss with press cut checkering, usual handling marks from hunting use visible on stock. A used but not abused farm shotgun.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I wish all my guns were worth thier weight in gold.

In American dollors, no! More like $175-$200, depending on the "wear"!A new one can be had just at $300.00.....maybe not with the same barrel but, the shotgun itself :right:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ruf, Shaun, thank you. i wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not.what i'll do is have a look and really be picky on the inspection and let that decide. now then, how does this model of shotgun compare to others? does the wingmaster hold it's own?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
Not a bad deal.
I have owned a Wingmaster for 23 years. It has been a faithfull hunting partner. Used wingmasters (2 3/4") go for about 250~275 here. The 3" (M) magnum capability should be worth a bit more in a Wingmaster.

Rufus, I think your more on line with Remington 870 Express prices. IMO, as well as others. They are two different animals. The Wingmaster is easier on the eyes and a lot smoother to operate.

Worst case scenerio, buy it, if you don't like it, you can sell it and not loose too much. Break even or 20 bucks down at most. If your slick, you could make 20 on it :right:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks jerry, i'm gonna have a look and see. any pointers that i should watch for? i have an Ithca model 37 in 12 gauge that has some ejaculation (snicker, snicker) problems. when you pump it (roaring in laughter now) it'll let another shell scoot by and dump it to the ground. well this wingmaster is a lot closer than the smith i trust so if it is good i'll get the wingmaster and i can put off getting my model 37 fixed for a while. and yes, i am slick thank you very much, slick like !!!! through a goose. LOL

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
You are probably correct....

jerry said:
Not a bad deal.
I have owned a Wingmaster for 23 years. It has been a faithfull hunting partner. Used wingmasters (2 3/4") go for about 250~275 here. The 3" (M) magnum capability should be worth a bit more in a Wingmaster.

Rufus, I think your more on line with Remington 870 Express prices. IMO, as well as others. They are two different animals. The Wingmaster is easier on the eyes and a lot smoother to operate.

Worst case scenerio, buy it, if you don't like it, you can sell it and not loose too much. Break even or 20 bucks down at most. If your slick, you could make 20 on it :right:
;) I have an 870 riot model but, as I recall, it was about $350 when I got it new. 3" chamber and 18" barrel. However, i lucked out and got a new 20" barrel from cabbella's for $60 and it was a Remington barrel, not off brand. My gun is in wood and I have never shot it but I've worked the action so much it must have a 100,000 miles on it! :D :D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
As Jerry said, that's a good price for a genuine 870 Wingmaster and not too bad a price for the cheaper 870 Express.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
If allowed at the store. Ask to insert an empty hull and eject it. (not the same as the one fired in the chamber probably, but close enough )
Also try see if it will cylce dummy rounds or live loads in a safe environment/direction.

Pull the barrl off to make sure there is not rust under the barrel in the reciever area. Pull the plug out and look for rust in the magazine tube. Neither will hurt much, may be able to knock a few bucks off. Knock out two trigger assembly pins and make sure the trigger group isn't full of weeds. Ask if you can bring it back in 2 or 3 days if it doesn't shoot at point of impact. Some will, some wont. Same for it it don't go "bang"

Make sure choke tube threads are clean and serviceable if applicable. Make sure you can get the tube out. See if there are at least 3 with the gun if applicable.

When home, check under recoil pad for old hunting license. Some old timers used to put paperwork in the butt stock of most any shotgun (duck hunters at least) Other than that, make sure nothings falling off the gun :right:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks jerry, big help. i'll be able to do the stuff your talking about. it's a private sale and i'll insist on 7 days return or i wont purchase. not foolproof, but it gives me as much of a foot to stand on as i can get considering the guy lives in the city so i cant just go on the front porch and open up with it. that would just be wrong.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
I don't know about wrong. Reminds me of a story. New years eve in Tucson. Me and my buddy decide to light off the shotguns across an M-T field at midnight, so we do. I have the 870 he his 1100 20 ga. We do it, walk back into the apartment, I shuck my M-T in the trash can. There stands Tim with a wad of redman and a big grin, action locked open to the world. I ask him where hi M-T is, his eyes get big!
We go back outside, there is a nice yellow 20 ga hull standing straight up on the side walk. Big dummy, LOL.

BTW,
Snakebite knows where this was. Wilmont Vista. Used to be an open field, houses now I hear :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,
It’s probably already late and I’m not sure it’s a right place for an offer. I have a New Rem.870 Express Super magnum shotgun + Special Purpose Fully Rifled Cantilever Barrel. The main reason I bought it, was to have universal shotgun for wing shooting and rifled barrel for big game. But before I got a chance to hunt, I already got a Benelli R1 rifle and a Browning over/under. So, I don’t need that shotgun anymore and am ready to sell it for a decent price. The gun is absolutely new, never been shot and was kept in a gun case all this time. I think $270 for gun and $180 for rifled cantilever barrel is a good price compared to retail price $376 for gun and $304 for barrel. Here is the link to the picture of the gun: http://www.visualexpression.com/rem870.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got an 870 Wingmaster made in 1961. It handles 2 3/4" only. I love it And wouldn't take $250 for it in U.S. funds. If it is in good shape, it sounds like a good deal to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts