close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is academy sport and outdoors selling used pistols?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ~kev~, Dec 29, 2007.

1. ~kev~

~kev~ G&G Newbie

Is academy sport and outdoors selling used pistols and telling their customers they are new?

On Friday, December 28th, I was at academy sport and outdoors in Beaumont texas. While looking at the pistols, I noticed several had the bluing wore off of them. One pistol, a beretta 92FS had more bluing missing then my 19 year old model. Some of the Ruger P series also had a lot of bluing missing. The chambers of the Ruger pistols even looked like they had surface rust on them.

I asked the clerk why they were selling used pistols, his reply was the pistols were brand new. I then told him the Beretta had more wear on it them my model that was 19 years old. My beretta has well over 5,000 rounds through it, maybe even close to 10,000 rounds and the brand new pistol at academy had a LOT more wear then mine.

Notice how little bluing is missing from the safety in this picture - this pistol is 19 years old. The "brand new" beretta at academy had most of the bluing wore off of the safety.
    DSC00889.JPG

This is my beretta 92fs with over 5,000 rounds through it. Notice how little bluing is missing. The supposed "brand new beretta" at Academy was 10X worse looking them mine. The dovetail of the Beretta looked like someone had beat it with a hammer, the part was even deformed and mushroomed.
    DSC00891.JPG

Has the quality control of Ruger and Beretta dropped and guns are getting to the public with wore off bluing, or is academy selling used pistols and telling their customers they are new?

2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Texas fraudulent sales law

It is not legal for a retailer to sell as new any merchandise for which they have knowledge is used. You might wish to advise the store manager of this law.

3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Most likely, these guns have been handled by thousands of people, dropped a few times, and not been cared for properly. I know our local Academy sometimes has display guns that look a bit worse for wear in spots. I watched a guy drop a Glock one day and the clerk said "don't worry, it happens a lot".

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  4. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

probably just the display guns

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted