is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by lefty o, Mar 20, 2002.

1. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    or is everyone else getting alot of errors and problems on the site today. failed connection , timeouts etc.

2. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

no problems here

3. psycho dad

psycho dad G&G Newbie

yes it happens to me all the time. i have a heck of a time starting a new thread. i have to sign off and then sign back on again. and as quick as i can start a thread and then hit enter. other wise it justs sits there forever and then timesout. this happens also when replying to a thread. i never had this problem before.

4. I haven't had any problems

5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Sometimes the traffic can get heavy... Chris tells me that between Friday at 1pm and Monday at 12am we recieved over 100,000 hits. Now granted, that represents some of the same people coming to and from the site but it still serves notice on why we switched software and servers. We currently use a server host, which means we share space on a server. Sometimes if other websites that share the same server we are on experience a large volume of traffic, it can effect our site's performance...ect. Chris and I have set as our goal to move this site to a dedicated server... but that takes serious money. I understand GunandKnife.com was spending $500.00 a month for their dedicated server. I hated seeing their site go down and I can relate to the problems their administration must have gone through. We have to take small steps in this site development to make everything successful and lasting...(and affordable). We will always strive to uphold the level of excellence our members expect...

6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i dont think its just traffic related, ive noticed that it sometimes happens when theres only 10 or 12 people on the site. is it possible that other sites on this server are causing the problems?

7. slow here

this new site is ALOT slower to bring up then the old G&G was(yes cookies are on).

8. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Yes that is relative as well. We are sharing a server with an amount of people that can be usually about 300 people, the people who are hosting us are nice people, but other sites might be getting 25,000 hits as well.

Think of it this way: "When your spouse takes the covers from your side, you get cold, and when you snatch them back she is cold, and she ends up smacking you."

We use a certain amount, and we are find until another site needs it, so we have to learn to share until we can find another larger package, and less people on it, but with that comes $$.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2002