Is it Rockola?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Stephenca118, May 21, 2008.

1. Stephenca118

Stephenca118 Guest

Good day,

I will admit right off I am a newbi here. I do not know a lot about guns but enough to keep out of trouble. I think. I have been checking this forum and some of the nomenclature does lose me but even still I have learned quite a bit. There does seem to be a plethora of knowledgeble and nice people here. So, my situation,

Last year I helped an elderly couple move out of the area. While getting ready for the garage sale they wanted to know if I would like to see thier small collection of guns. They belonged to their daughter who had moved out of state. So subsequently I purchased a M1 carbine, a Harrington & Richardson 16 gauge Topper Model 48, a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 22 semi auto with scope, and two bb guns for 260 dollars.

So, the M1. I have always wanted one so I figured this was my chance. I do not hunt but enjoy target shooting when I can find a place to do it.

This M1 has a # just aft of the rear site. It is 4683158. It says Rockola just aft of the forward site on the top of the barrel. It also says Rockola by the screw that is aft of the rear site. There is a MMQ on the front sling attachment point. A P1 is stamped on the side of the rear site and WMB on what I think is the firing pin. It appears to have QUALITY M C stamped above the ser# under the rear site, but it is hard to read.

There are no marks at all on the stock that I can find. It looks as though it may have been refinished. There is a circle cut out of the back of the stock, not sure what that was for.

There is a sling, that has MRT. 9.49 steciled on it, with the oiler. There were no magazines so I bought one on ebay. I have yet to fire this weapon and maybe that is a good thing because after doing my research on this site it appears there is a hand guard? missing. It is a piece of wood that covers the top of the mechanism?

At the site of the RIVERBANK ARMORY it lists this ser # as being from the Quality Hardware Man. Co. So did QHM use parts made by rockola? Do I have a Rockola wannabe? What is an import mark and where would I find it?

My apologies for the long winded story, I will attach some pictures if I can figure out how.

Thank you for your time and imput.

Stephen

Attached Files:

2. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

According to the serial numnber it is a Quality Hardware receiver. Apparantly went thru a rebuild where a barrel was put on, along with a bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight. The stock is definitely refinished. Someone added a disc into the stock, and yes there should be a wood handguard. There are plenty of photos on the web of GI carbines. Yours has been altered to a great degree cosmetically, but still may be a good shooter.

3. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

well altered or not i think it looks pretty good! lol. Get a handguard and match it to the wood or re finish it again. I would anyway

4. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Most likely it is an arsenal rebuild. Quality did not make any barrels so they used barrels made by other mabufacturers. The mixed parts are the result of the rebuild since all parts were interchangable and they didn't pay any attention to which parts were reassembled into the rebuilt carbine.

5. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

And WELCOME to Gun and Game!!!!:beerchug:

6. Stephenca118

Stephenca118 Guest

Good day,

Thank you for the feedback and the welcome. I really do appreciate the recommendation and will follow up.

So I have a Quality Hardware gun with Rockola parts. Well it still looks nice even without the hand guard. I am guessing the approximatly 200 I paid for it was not a bad investment.

As far as the hand guard I see two rivet and 4 rivet types. I am assuming the 4 rivet is for the later unit like mine? So if I find a walnut 4 rivet that should take care of it? Do the rivets connect the handguard to the gun? Any recommendations on what site I should use to purchase on line?

I am also looking for another 10 rnd magazine. It seems from some of the sites there is a lot of junk out there. Any recommendations on a site to buy a magazine?

Thank you again for the help and the welcome,

Stephen

7. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I think that in Wa you can have 15 round mags. Just buy a military one. The 4 rivet guard is the one you want. The rivets hold a steel plate to the guard that slips under a rim at the front of the receiver. As far as the $200 goes, you robbed the guy!