close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is Jesus Real?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

This artical to me is intersting in that my understanding of...and the people I know who have found Jesus would agree with this kids logic....Ive done some "stupid" writeing assignements in school and I dont see the big deal about this...but I would like to present it to the board for review.

Monday, August 05, 2002
    By Jeff Goldblatt

BROOKFIELD, Ohio — Phillip Vaccaro considers Jesus his best friend.
    So to him, Jesus seemed perfect for a writing assignment the 7th-grader got this spring in his language-arts class in Brookfield, Ohio: write a friendly letter to someone who dramatically changed his life.

But his teacher didn’t like his choice of correspondent.

"She told him he could not write that letter because Jesus wasn't a real person -- that he didn't exist," Phillip’s mother, Peggy Koehler, said.

"How dare they throw their atheistic values upon my child?"

But the attorney for the school district said the class assignment was to prepare a letter and mail it to someone else, with the hope the students would get a response. In the attorney's words, it would be difficult to get a written reply from Jesus.

Phillip's mother isn’t buying it. So she has filed a $1.5 million lawsuit against the school district, claiming her son's constitutional right to freely express his religion was violated because he wasn't allowed to write to Jesus.

The Brookfield School District denies infringing upon Phillip's rights.

"It was also suggested that the letter could be addressed to a pastor, priest or church," the school attorney wrote in a statement to Fox News.

Not according to Koehler.

"From the very beginning of this, their stories have changed over and over again," she said.

After the disputed assignment, Phillip’s mother pulled him out of school, and he failed all his classes. He wants to attend a different school next year.

"What do (I) think Jesus would think about what has happened to (me)? I hope he's proud of me. And on my side," he said.

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Good, I hope she gets the money. Lets see it go for the right side this time!

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Just what proof does this teacher have that Jesus wasn't real?

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Jesus is so real. I seen it on a guy's shirt nametape today.

I know, I know, tacky. sorry

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Another stupid, frivolous, lawsuit. I hope the right side wins.

6. Jesus Real?

Since even the Jewish Talmudic literature admits that Yeshua Ben-Joseph of Nazareth did in fact exist, I would have to say questioning the existence of Jesus the world-historical figure is more of a leap of faith than believing Jesus is the Christ.

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

He WAS a real person, but the assignment was for a physically living person. Of course the Jews have records of him; they and the Romans were great record keepers. However, Christians generally reject those records because they do not agree with them.

8. Klaus I agree--the jews and romans knew Jesus was a real living person, but rejected Christ's claim of who he was.
    Jesus is a living person.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2002
  9. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Doesn't matter

There seems to be an argument about Jesus being a living person. The assignment was to send a letter to a reciever that would likely send a letter back. Jesus is a poor choice for such an assignment. The teacher does not seem to be a monster, but just trying to get the assignment done properly. Lets face it, Jesus is not going to write the kid back, regardless of his "location/status".
    The lawsuit is bunk. The student is not being kept from writing a letter to Jesus. He is being kept from doing the assignment properly. He can write a million letters to Jesus, just not for this particular assignment.

10. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

oops...should read: He is being kept from doing the assignment improperly.

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Lenny has a point, but for the teacher to tell the kid that Jesus was never a real person is downright asinine. Even though the letter may never be answered, it's moronic to conceive that a teacher would say that to a student. If he had been in my class, I would have simply taken it to a church instead of humiliate the poor youngster like this. When I was in school back when, we used to write letters to Santa Klaus in class as an assignment. We got replies, but it was from a workshop of the teachers as a whole. If someone didn't celebrate Christmas, they weren't told that it was a real holiday, so therefore they were going to flunk out. Their rights to freedom of religion were respected and I learned a lot from a couple of Jewish kids, along with a Jehovah's Witness.
    If only common sense were so common....

12. NRAJOE

Well said Calvin. I hope she does get the money because of the teacher saying Jesus was not a real person! This atheist crap has got to stop! No wonder some kids have no sense of right and wrong these days.

13. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Thanks ever so much, Brother Joe!!

14. NRAJOE

Amen brother Calvin! Hows the academy going bro?

15. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Busy as h*ll right now. How's your side of the world?

16. NRAJOE

Samey same, on vacation for five days,already used up 3 of them. Its over before you know it! Still got 3 saved for later. Get 2 weeks next year.

17. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I'm going on vacation next week. I cannot wait to get on my boat and have some fun in the sun!!!
    Hey, check your PM's, bro.

18. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Calvin, the article said nothing about the teacher claiming that Jesus never lived. That would have been stupid. However, I doubt the teacher would accept letters to Mother Teresa, Mahatma Ghandi, or George Washington either.

19. NRAJOE

Why does it say that in Doglips post then?!

20. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

She told him he could not write that letter because Jesus wasn't a real person -- that he didn't exist," Phillip’s mother, Peggy Koehler, said

Not wanting to argue, but this means she told him he was not a real person.