close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is my mosins bolt to loose?

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by 2muchfreetime, Mar 17, 2012.

1. 2muchfreetime

2muchfreetime G&G Newbie

I recently picked up a 1934 hex receiver mosin via internet sale.This is my first mosin and my first bolt action rifle.I see where many have a stickey bolt problem.I think mine is loose.After a dryfire the bolt is tight.In the cocked position it seems to take very little force to open bolt.I did not fire it yet.I know the bolts are sloppy on these things but how sloppy is to sloppy.If I hold the rifle in front of me with the bolt in the cocked position shake it up and down as forcefully as I can The bolt will open after a few hard shakes.Overall the rifle is in very good condition.Should I be concerned about this?

2. vulcan22

vulcan22 G&G Newbie

That sounds way too loose, none of my Mosins flop like that. It might be a weak firing pin spring, but then I don't know if it would be tight after a dry fire. How did the dry fire feel? Did it seem weak or have a long lock time? Maybe somebody else here has a better idea of what it might be. I would get it checked out by a gunsmith before I fired it.

3. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

In the cocked position the springs are all compressed and opening the action should be alittle easier than after dryfiring as for the shaking, man I just don't know,Ive an older brother who is huge( you know strong like bull smart like tractor type) I don't think he could shake the bolt loose on a Mosin, but have seen and experenced him shake the bolts and nuts off many other things and people. I think you should take it to a gunsmith, and get it checked out.

4. Dark1

Dark1 Suspended

Put a fired case in the chamber an check it I bet it will be a lot tighter with the bolt gap being filled by the case head. With nothing in the chamber it will be louse do to the gap needed for the round.

5. Gunney

Gunney G&G Enthusiast

makes sense. I wonder if the headspacing is wrong?

6. 2muchfreetime

2muchfreetime G&G Newbie

dummy round

A dummy round in the chamber does make it tighter.It will not flop open with one in the chamber.Thanks for info.It should be good to shoot.I think I might buy another to compare it to.I still cant believe they sell these things for 100 bucks.

7. Bestiverhad

Bestiverhad G&G Evangelist

I had a '34 hex with a sloppy bolt.
    Loose enough that when cocked, I would put pressure on the trigger, but not enough to fire it, and I could see the rear of the bolt move down.

The sear sliding on the cocking piece was enough to pull the bolt down 1/4 inch.

It may have been ok, but the barrel was also shot out, so I sent it back and had it replaced.

8. goat roper

goat roper G&G Enthusiast

Sounds like you're hooked. Better get your C&R if you don't have one.

Verne

9. 2muchfreetime

2muchfreetime G&G Newbie

I am calling dealer tomorrow not happy with it.Problem is hex receivers are usually out of stock and now this gun is registered to me.Hope they can help.

10. potbellyFin

potbellyFin G&G Addict

my 1943 sky m39 did they same thing. I got a different bolt. That was the problem. The area on the bolt bellow the handle was worn, causing not enough forward pressure. (The point of contact against the receiver.)

11. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

They don't sell them for $100 anymore, and certainly not hexes. Classic Arms just got some in and you're looking at $200 for a hex 91/30. Since it appears you aren't all that familiar with the Mosin's, I'd say take it to a gunsmith who is and have them look at it. They are made with loose tolerances so that they operate in all sorts of adverse conditions, from desert to frozen tundra.

12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Lots of Mosins seem to have loose bolts. This was a military gun from the get go and was designed to be a bit loose so mud and crud and inconsistent ammo would not fail to make it go bang. I would say it's a probable 90%+ your bolt was fine. But that is one of the reasons I have a full set of Okie headspace gauges.

13. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

necro-thread is three years old lol

PAPA G likes this.
  14. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

I was gonna say...

15. olcop

olcop G&G Enthusiast

Realize this thread is older, but, JFI, Sarco has replacement bolts, complete or stripped for very reasonable prices.
    olcop

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Problem be I go to new posts to see who's talking about what. I don't look at the dates, it was a new post.

17. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Somebody ELSE answered a very old post before I replied to him.

18. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

As one that goes to "New Posts" myself, I love Zombie Threads as I probably haven't seen them before.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted