Is Savage Accu-trigger worth it?

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by aandabooks, Aug 17, 2010.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks G&G Newbie

I am looking for my first rifle and I'm thinking a Savage .223. I've handled them some at a couple of different stores but I was wondering if the accutrigger is worth the cost upgrade? With the accutrigger seems to put a Savage rifle into the $500 range and without backs them down to as low as $300. Both numbers without scopes.

I have been hunting with shotguns of all makes for over 20 years and have shot many thousands of rounds of .22 over the years. Have never paid much attention to the trigger pull weights or the benefits of one trigger over another.

I've shot my FILs .223 in the past to kill hogs and a few rounds for fun but being in Illinois, there is not much need for larger caliber rifles for hunting. Now I've decided to start hunting coyotes on my property to thin them for the deer herd.

So for someone like myself, is the accutrigger worth it or am I better off investing in a better scope?

2. minnesotagunner

minnesotagunner G&G Newbie

i guess it depends. if you really arent doing any target shooting. if you are really set on a gun that doesnt have it i dont think you will be disappointed but after having it you will like it.

it makes it easy to adjust and gives you a light and clean trigger pull. i myself am looking into getting a 12 fvss in the future. all in all if you are just hunting with it and are going for something light and handy i wouldnt think it will make a difference.

3. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

I have a Savage 110 in 30-06 that has the accutrigger. I love it. You can get used to a regular trigger pull, no big deal. It's really up to you. I can't say whether or not it makes me shoot any better or not. All I know is that it is smooth, crisp, has no creep and is preset at a great pull weight. Every one that I have showed my rifle to always mentions how nice the trigger is. It is really up to you though in which rifle you prefer.

4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I'm not overly fond of them but most are.My personal preference,any trigger that has little travel,can be set at 2.5 to 3lbs,and no over travel is fine for hunting. (wait til LeftyO gets in here) ,,,sam.

5. moosemike

moosemike G&G Newbie

i don't like the trigger really. It's too complicated and I don't like having to push the little thingy in like I'm firing a Glock or something.

6. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i love it.
    at first i was concerned that that little trigger thingy would somehow bug me.
    the very first time i fired the rifle i forgot it was there.
    it does nothing but good.

7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    thanks for the intro sam. personally i detest the craputrigger. savage hypes the heck out of it, but the fact is its a seriously flawed trigger design. buy an older savage without it, or a stevens, and rework the factory trigger, or replace it with the trigger from sharpshooter supply. the sharpshooter supply trigger is everything the craputrigger wants to be.

8. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

WOW lefty o, Sam was dead on about you! lol

10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    problem is that varmint trigger that is supposed to go down to 1.5# very rarely goes below 2# on any of the varmint rifles equipped with it. secondly when the varmint and target craputrigger are adjusted to their lowest settings, if you work the bolt hard, you end up decocking the rifle(serious design flaw). if you ever shoot one of the savages equipped with the target trigger, you must be very gentle closing the bolt, or you'll end up frustrated with an uncocked rifle. savage even has written warnings about this problem, its a design flaw! for the price difference, the non craputrigger rifles are a bargain. spend some time with a good trigger, and you'll never look at the craputrigger the same. for the guy that wants a decent 3.5# trigger on his deer rifle, its an OK trigger.

11. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The Savage Accu-trigger spurred a number of other firearms manufacturers into getting off of their 'lawsuit fearing butts' and putting decent (not great) triggers on a number of production rifles. Thanks Savage.

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

A trigger means a he*l of a lot when it comes to accuracy,but even more when it comes to safety.I hope you all get what you like,and that it is "SAFE". ,,,sam.

13. aandabooks

aandabooks G&G Newbie

What I'm getting the feel of the way this thread is going, is that there are better triggers out there and that Savage is still a good rifle but not worth the accutrigger upgrade for the price.

I don't necessarily target shoot at any real distance. We plink with the .22s and sighting in the scope and the occasional check for scope accuracy would be the limit of my range use of the gun. Dropping a few coyotes per year would be the real use of the gun.

From the sales guys I've talked to, the .223 is adequate for this job and affordable. The .22-250 is better but more expensive along with considering a .243.

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

While Lefty and Samuel may not like the Accu-Trigger,and voice their opinions about it,there are thousands of us that do really like it.
    I have a pre Accu-Trigger 110FLP 300WM and after trying the Sharp Shooter trigger,put the stock trigger back in after we worked on it a little.
    My other 2 Savage's have the accu-trigger and are great triggers once you get used to them.I also have the accu-trigger on my model 93 22wmr.

Lefty is right about the target model though,it does have a flaw,and can be set too lite and I don't like it.

15. minnesotagunner

minnesotagunner G&G Newbie

"i don't like the trigger really. It's too complicated and I don't like having to push the little thingy in like I'm firing a Glock or something."

whats to worry about? ive heard people say it before but how are you worrying about not pulling the trigger? its not like you should be just touching the side of the trigger anyway. put your finger on the trigger and squeeze, whats to worry about?

16. The accu-trigger does just what it was designed for, nothing more, nothing less. Yes there are better triggers out there and you will pay accordingly for them. And yes savage did force the other makers to step up the quality of their firearms.

A simple (cheap) model 11 will come with a three screw trigger that is very adjustable by you simply by removing the action from the stock, you can learn how by going to savageshooters.com.

The question i have is what distance will you be shooting the yotes from? That would decide the the caliber for me, if it's 100-200yds, maybe 300 then yes the .223 will work fine. If it's farther out then i would go with the .243.

My model 11 .243 was $359 scoped and works very well without the accutrigger and will do three shot, one ragged hole groups at 100yds from the bench when i am able to do my part.

My safe only has two types of rifles in it, savages and ar's, so yes i am just a little biased. blue

17. aandabooks

aandabooks G&G Newbie

Just to kind of wrap this up, I bought the Savage Edge package at Dunham's early last week when they had them on sale for $279.99. Got it in .223 with a black synthetic stock and a 3x9-40 Bushnell scope boresighted on it. I'll pick it up later this week when I am in town again.

To answer bluealtered, the terrain on my land will preclude being able to take more than a 200 yard shot. The field that is in beans has a roll to it and the timber is so heavy, finding a 50 yard clear line of sight is difficult. That is why the coyote population is so heavy. Tons of room to hide and maneuver undetected.

18. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

^^^
    Good deal, you can give us all some 1st hand info on the edge. All I know about them is what I've read in the magazines, so some real world feedback will be good.

19. The edge should work good for you, there are some tips on working the trigger on both savageshooters and predatormasters. Have fun and let us know how it works for you. blue