close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is Silver Tip Armor Peirceing??????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ok kinda silly.. Ive always shot the surpluss Mosan ammo (russian or check) with the tip painted silver..I know a magnet will pick up the bullet so it must have some steal in it. But only shot soda cans and paper so never though about it. Today at the range they had a few old round steal targets...junk plates..so I shot one of them a few times... they appeard to be /2 or 3/4 inch thick but the bullett went right through it leaveing a clean hole that had an exit type hole..metal sticking out on BOTH sides... the plate was hanging so it swong freely...no resistance.
    Kinda surprised me..(Shot at 50 yards).
    Seems like this ammo would do a number on a car body or even body armor...
    Anyone know anything about this stuff.?

2. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

You guessed right, it is AP ammo. I don't have any tests on the silver tip ammo, as far as penitration, but I will tell this, if it's the Czech ammo in the blue box, it is also match quality, and from what I understand the ammo that is used in competion.

3. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

The silver tipped ammo will go through SEVERAL car bodies (including the engine blocks). Make sure you have an adequate backstop. This stuff is the hardest shooting ammo I've ever shot. :gangster:

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Lead SP ammo will right through body armor too. Body armor will not stop most rifle bullets. It is made to protect against the more common pistol rounds.

5. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Bryan, I carry some stuff that is even harder, insted of just having a hardened steel core, this stuff has a tungsten carbide core:) Clears an inch of Ti @ 100yds like it never was there.

6. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Dog Lips
    Most Nagant Ammo, and east block milsurp, has a steel penatrator in it.
    It is a matter of economics
    Steel is cheaper than lead. if you are makeing bullets by the trainload. the amount of materials "stretched " becomes substantial.
    There are two types of armor penatrator rifle bullets that I know of.
    The mild steel penatrator type (most common)
    or the toungsten penatrator type( U.S. in WWII)
    See originally all armor penatrator bullets where modled after battle ship bullets that where made out of toungsten with a mild steel jacket to engage the rifleing and protect the bore from the hard toungsten. This is pre shapecharge technolgy.
    when a toungsten projectile hits a steel object the toungsten crushes when this happends a incredible amount of heat is generated, literally burning through the armor plates of the hull of a battle ship or any other suitable target.
    well' thats the Idea, and under PERFECT conditions a toungsten penatrator LC 44 3006 (black tip)will BURN through about 2 inches of steel
    This is just what I have witnessed and been able to do my self
    The conditions to get a rifle bullet to burn through an armor plate have to be Exactly perfect or it wont work .
    It will deflect
    The soviets went ahead and used mild steel penatrators,to get the saveings in production costs and have ammunition that works almost as well.
    With mild steel penatrators the 7.62x54R, 7.62x39 both will be effective against soft skinned vehicles and personell inside to at least 300 yards the 54R probably out to 500-600yds

7. Bryan Williams

hmmm Jarcp where you get that at :gangster:

8. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Thank you all for your input...like I said never gave it a thought just shot the soda cans and paper...maybe we should keep this quite..the supplyers will change the name to AP and charge us 10x more for the same ammo...until BATF and the media declare it "Cop Killer" ammo and try to ban it...then there will be a rap song about the mosan-nagant....Men and my hommies blasting caps and smoking crack with our full auto Mosan Nagants ...:)

9. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

I'd tell ya, but that would cut into my profits, I run an ammo store:) I'd be more than happy to sell them to you though.

10. JohnD

JohnD Member

even fmj will wreck most engine blocks and car bodys are no problem. Body armor dont stan a chance with the truly high power rifle rounds but 223 and 7.62X39 fmj are stoped by some.

11. Bryan Williams

how much Jarcp? I need a good supplier of Nagant and SKS ammo :)

12. i've put 7.62x54r through not only a model A ford body but also a '76 Buick body in and out both cars w/ same round!!!!, standard Ball not AP.
    i once put 8mm mauser AP through the engine block of some small foreign car that was junked out in the middle of the desert, dug the round out of the right hand side fender, there was a huge dent, with a slight crack were the the round stopped, awsome stuff!
    -Jesse

13. Bryan Williams

Get this, with the Barnual (sp?) SOFT POINT rounds, they are the one's that went through 3 car bodies, 1 engine block and kept going! The Silver tipped is even harder hitting :gangster:

14. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Full Auto Mosins?

Is that more Homey Culture there doglips?

15. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

My neigboorhood (Hood) is getting so over run with crime and homie wannabes that I had to order Home Boyz sights for my Mosans...Of course being here in Florida were english is a 3rd language and 7-11 is trying out Crack flavored Slurpies Im not surprised...realy should move...

16. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Doglips, As I so fondly remember when I was stationed in florida, there is actually no state for flordia, it's split into southern Alabama, Tourist town and Northern Cuba. The next time someone happily jibbers at you in a latin american lang. Smile at them and tell the No habla escargo:)

17. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

I hear ya

Home boy sights - do they mount on the side? They built an assisted living complex next to me. There went my property values!

18. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Thinks that hurt...old apartment complex went section 8 (public/reduced houseing) then the build 2 large apartment complex who started off takeing rent vouchers (Ie people only pay like $20 per month out of their welfare $$ for rent) so 2 others down the street went the same way....I now got a $60,000 morgage on a home valued at 40...Only good thing is every time the cops chase a crook down our street..I live on a dead end street...wifee poo likes the guns more and more....I figure a few big raids and Ill find the wife filling out the class 3 paper work when I get home....Hay Bob do you thing this M2 50 cal BMG would go well with the carpet?...Dies tis M-60 clash with the drapes?

19. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

As long as the Mini-Gun matches the countertops, and the M203 matches the flatware, Bob, you're gonna be fine.

:)

20. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I know whatcha mean, Bob. Thought my neighbors were okay, til I took a misdirected postcard over to their house. You'd a thought I was a Narc! I could hear them inside after I knocked, running around (hiding the stash?), then two faces peering thru the curtains at me. Think I'll keep the ol' 1911 very close, from now on.
    I'm in the same boat, a nice home surrounded by low-rents. Glad I got that extra gun-locker.

:assult: