Is solvent needed after only 15-20 rds.?

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by Laufer, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

The ammo is 60's Lake City and will be reloading this in about two weeks or so.

Maybe some oil on a couple of patches really enough in the beautiful bore, then use Hoppes' #9 after about 50 rds.(?).
    Have the bore guide, but it only fits the Garand-not the Enfields.

2. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    If I dont shoot alot of rds and will be shooting again soon I will just run a few wet patches with Rem Oil through the bore until clean, then a dry patch, then one sligthly wet with Rem Oil.
    I dont waste my time or money on a bore guide.
    I have a Dewey rod and God gave me fingers to guide the rod

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Is solvent needed after only 15-20 rds.?

That depends on whether or not you want the bore to stay shiny.

If you don't care about it being clean the next time you shoot it, no need to use solvent.

If you are going to go shoot it again the next day, no need to clean it at all.

If you are going to go to the trouble of running oil patches through it, why not clean it?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  4. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I can only think of a few reasons to clean after 20 rounds. The most compelling is corrosive primers. If it is corrosive you will of course need to de-activate the salts per your favorite method.

Really though, even if I were selling it I am not sure I would scrub the bore over 20 rounds.

5. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

i shoot 80-100 rounds during a match and never clean the bore until after the match

6. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

That seems to mean that bore erosion might only take place after many more rounds.
    My ammo is 60s Lake City.

7. It's all a matter of personal preference. If it were me and mine, and as mentioned, if I'm going to take the time to do anything, I may as well then just take the time and clean it.

And even though I might just be going to shoot it say in a few days or a week even, something could always come up and shooting it in those few days or a week could be delayed and now one of my firearms is going to sit even longer uncleaned.

In short, I'd take the time to clean it because you never know. And even worse, I could be in a car accident and end up in the hospital for a month or two or worse yet, get killed and my firearm could end up getting ruined because it was never cleaned.

In the end, if you don't care, then don't clean it. If you do, then you'll take the time and clean it.

The other thing I'd point out is after only 15-20 rounds, it's probably not going to be that dirty so cleaning it isn't going to take a lot of effort, patches, Hoppes 9, CLP, anything else you might need or use or time. So why not just clean it.