Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that its not that hard to take apart and clean and that you don't have to have a lot of training to use/clean it. Is this true?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yep, easy gun to feed and care for. But it is a little loud for a first gun, have you shot anything before? Not loud enough to hurt but might make you flinch at first.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well how hard it is to take apart is all relative to who is taking it apart. If you are fairly adept at mechanical type things, you shouldn't have any problems. You will need to get step-by-step directions from a web site or something.

I would suggest a ruger 10/22 as a first gun for anyone. But, an SKS is a good full size beginers rifle.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Get yourself a Yugo SKS and you'll be set. Accurate, easy to take care of, and dependable.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
sks forever said:
Get yourself a Yugo SKS and you'll be set. Accurate, easy to take care of, and dependable.
that would indeed be a great choice, but if you have some extra money find a Russian, they sure are getting rarer and they are VERY quality. Also Chi-coms are nice rifles too

·
Registered
630 Posts
silver run is right! It was my first higher powered cartrige rifle. Berfore I would always use my blackpowder riflefor fun, But it was a PAIN to load and clean so I got the yugo m59/66 sks, and its fun and cheap.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,690 Posts
Any of the SKS models is a good and fun rifle, if in good condition. It's an excellent 'first centerfire' and will whet you appetite for more milsurps. Excellent 'bang for the buck'. A good family gun too, as women and younger shooters have no problem handling it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i live not too far from u. i can take you out to the range with mine

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got a Yugo. I don't have any complaints. (not that I'm a beginner) Once you've had it apart a time or two it becomes second nature. One really good thing about most military weapons is that they don't require a lot of tools to strip down. You can take an SKS as far down as you'd ever need to with just your bare hands. The only thing I don't like about mine is getting the trigger guard snapped back in when I take it all the way apart. It's a real chore sometimes. Other than that, great shooter. Cheap ammo. No kick.Did I say cheap ammo?

·
Registered
155 Posts
i love my russian...my girlfriend loves shooting it as there is little recoil....unlike some of my other guns :kinky: i can easily take mine apart in a minute or so if i really try...very easy to do and no tool needed for a basic field strip at least for my russian..i dont have any experience with other countries' sks's but im sure they are similar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts