Is there ANYWHERE in the Grundy/Lasalle co.area I can pistol shoot (besides ranges)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Eric76, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Eric76

Eric76 G&G Newbie

Im SEARCHING (seems like forever now) for someplace near me I where I can shoot.Out here there is alot of rural area and I thought maybe someone has a place set up or has open area they would let me use to target practice.Im legal(FOID) ,familiar with firearms,responsible and would always be safe.IF anyone on here has any idea please let me know.Ive been using the ranges "close" to me but that is getting expensive with all the back and forth not to mention the $$ at the range itself.Id be willing to work out a deal or help out in ANYWAY I could to get a place worked out.I figure this is the place to ask.All the folks Ive talked with on here are very decent and I hope I can find a place to improve at my hobby without going broke and if IM really lucky find someone to shoot with!!! Thanks in advance to everyone.

2. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

My suggestion would be to ask as some of the smaller gun shops.. See if someone has a quarry or woods that occasionally allows guys to shoot and get the landowner's name.. Then just go politely ask permission to use the property to shoot.. And remember, the worst they can do is say no.

I'd suggest that you drop off an Aldi spiral cut ham a week before Christmas as a thank you.. You'd be amazed what a gift like that does for future property use. $12 well spent, for sure...

3. Borla

Borla G&G Newbie

There are two places not too far from Morris that I am familiar with.

One is Mega Sports in Plainfield, IL. They have an indoor range, and plenty of handguns you can rent to shoot as well. They have a pretty big gun shop and some of the guys in there tend to be a bit snobbish, and they are overpriced IMO. Keep in mind that this is a handgun only range.

Another option is just west of Ottawa. There is an outdoor range (not open until spring) called Buffalo Rock. It's a great place to go if you want to shoot a variety of guns. They have what they call the "plinking pit" where you can shoot basically anything .50" or less. They have all kinds of random stuff in the pit that you can shoot. They also have a handgun range, a rifle range (50 yards, 75 yards, and 100 yards), and a clay pigeon range. It's a huge place, and when I've been there the people were very helpful, down to earth, and easy to deal with.