close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Optics' started by mtnwoman, Oct 9, 2017.

1. mtnwoman

mtnwoman G&G Regular

I bought a Remington 721, 270 last year to deer hunt with. Got it from a friend and the scope was already mounted on it. Shot it probably around 7-8 times. He'd had it for awhile and I'm sure he has shot it quite a bit. My DH told me the scope sitting on the site could break the scope when I shoot it, but he doesn't seem in too big of a hurry to fix it for me. So just wanted your opinionons on if I should ask him a little nicer to move it. ;) Or if it's ok to continue shooting like it is? I attached a pic, hope it works.

Attached Files:

Merle likes this.
  2. Huh...I adjusted the scope on my .22 to not be in contact with the rear sight just for that reason. I'd move it. Better to be proactive and safe.

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

It MAY eventually do damage to the scope and/or the iron sight.

More importantly, it could cause inaccuracy in the scope sight picture, which in turn will cause inaccurate bullet strikes down range.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Merle, Junction15, TXplt and 6 others like this.
  4. 455rocket

455rocket G&G Regular

x2 on fixing it immediately...You never want to put a scope in a possible bind. It could impact your accuracy, damage the scope and or the iron sight.

Merle, Junction15, mtnwoman and 2 others like this.
  5. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I have many scoped rifles and never mounted a scope touching a rear sight. Not sure if that is a Leopold scope or a cheaper one but it should not touch. Looks like the elevation ramp was taken out from the sight and the sight itself is being pushed down and bent by the scope. If your scope was installed for YOUR eye relief and was not already on the rifle then I would do either of two things. Either tap the rear sight out of the dovetail in rifle or get taller rings for the scope. If they are low then go to a medium maybe. Just my opinion.

JUNKER, gsbuickman, Merle and 4 others like this.
  6. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Merle and neophyte like this.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Had that problem on a couple twentytwo rifles. I just turned the SIGHTS around in their dovetails, problem solved.

gsbuickman, Merle, rando and 4 others like this.
  8. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I'd knock the sight out.
    knock it out from the right hand side [bolt handle side] and put some oil on/under it a little while before you start tapping on it.
    just a punch and a light hammer and a little carefulness will do the job.
    you can get a blank to fill in the dovetail for a couple of dollars.

double check that the scope is still tight in the rings, it was probably on a bind and sitting a little high.

Merle, rando, TXplt and 2 others like this.
  9. If the scope is sitting on the iron sights that is a problem !.............

JUNKER, Merle, Junction15 and 2 others like this.
  10. Remove the rear sight and put it up, just try to remember where up is

Merle, rando, mtnwoman and 3 others like this.
  11. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Good scopes are expensive. That answer your question. lol

Merle, neophyte, TXplt and 1 other person like this.
  12. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Yes, it does need to be fixed/changed. You might find that the front sight, or at least part of it can be removed. Do put it somewhere safe as you might, one day, want to go back to open sights.

Merle, Junction15 and mtnwoman like this.
  13. mtnwoman

mtnwoman G&G Regular

Thanks for all the replys. It is a leupold and was already on the gun when I got it. Hubby said he was a goof for putting it on like that, but wasn't in much of a hurry to fix it. I'm going to take it off before I shoot it anymore and thanks for the reminder to put it where I wont loose it. It's like y'all know me already :p

ncnascarlady, Merle, rando and 5 others like this.
  14. animalspooker

SEMO
    Whatever you do, don't put it next to that piece I've been missing for 4 years. You'll never find it.

jwrauch, my1871colt45, Merle and 4 others like this.
  15. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

I agree with the others - best to remove that rear sight and mount the scope properly. From the picture it looks like the scope might have a few dings in it. It is probably OK but you might want to check the rifle/scope from a bench to make sure it holds zero before you get too far into it.

You could swap out the scope mounts for a higher set - so the scope will clear the sights. But I am guessing you will like it better keeping the scope low on the rifle.
    Good luck with it and I hope your hunt is successful.

16. Merle

Merle G&G Addict

this is the right answer - putting ANY strain on a scope tube CAN damage it - that includes scope rings that are not installed correctly.

mtnwoman and neophyte like this.
  17. animalspooker

SEMO
    If you could see a slow motion of a rifle scope moving during a shot, you'd see that it tries to move against that front sight. Very hard on them!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  18. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

Most are in agreement remove the sight. After market blanks to fill the empty space can be purchased.

19. Merle

Merle G&G Addict

just keep in mind - you may have to re-zero the scope after removing the old irons - if the scope was under strain it would impact your POI - Point Of Impact......

20. animalspooker

SEMO
    Just another excuse to do some more shooting :)

mtnwoman likes this.